2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
291 Posts
BMW also deleted the oil dip stick. You can’t even check the oil.
Yup my 535I no dipstick, kinda sucks..I mean seriously there's just no real mechanical reason for that..I mean if you computer ever went out your screwed

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
Yeah it is a little Overkill I guess I'm a little neurotic with it but working at dealerships in my teens I got to hear a lot of horror stories.. at 50k miles on my Paci when I saw the coolant was totally Orange when it should be purple concerned me so now it's 25k mi on that. 5k mi for synthetic is the norm I just do it at 3k because in Vegas it's 118 in the summer and breaks it down quicker so it won't hurt. 50k mi on the trans is best but I'm a backyard mechanic semi retired so gives me something to do lol..Harsh dry weather out here is totally brutal...Glad you found the clunk, so the ESS battery was disconnected?
You really shouldn't have seen that sort of issue with your coolant after 50k miles...something is getting in there and contaminating it. Did you buy the van new? I wonder if it was the wrong coolant.

This maintenance is cheap really, if it makes you feel good to do it at those intervals, why not?

Unfortunately that wasn't the clunk. Its still clunking, but he says the ESS battery was disconnected but I never saw any ill effects from that. I do have the ESS disabled.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
1,059 Posts
For oil change intervals, I just use a decent filter (Mopar, Wix, or Fram Tough Guard) and go by the oil life meter. It usually ends up being between 8000-8500 miles. I use the cheapest 0w-20 full synthetic oil I can find. I usually end up using Kirkland/Costco, SuperTech/Walmart, or Mag1 sold at a local farm/fleet store. Yes, I'm aware that none of these oils have the Mopar MS-6395 stamp of approval, but I don't care and neither should anyone else IMO. If you think [non-Chrysler] dealerships and quick lube shops ensure that they only use oil that meets this or any other manufacturer's specification, you're sadly mistaken. I work at a GM dealership. The 0w-20 oil that we use meets GM's Dexos 1 gen 2 spec. We don't care if it meets any other certifications. If the application calls for 0w-20 that's what it gets.

If you can find just one instance of Chrysler refusing to cover engine damage under warranty because someone used 0w-20 oil that didn't meet the MS-6395 spec you might change my mind, but it's highly unlikely.

·
Banned
291 Posts
You really shouldn't have seen that sort of issue with your coolant after 50k miles...something is getting in there and contaminating it. Did you buy the van new? I wonder if it was the wrong coolant.

This maintenance is cheap really, if it makes you feel good to do it at those intervals, why not?

Unfortunately that wasn't the clunk. Its still clunking, but he says the ESS battery was disconnected but I never saw any ill effects from that. I do have the ESS disabled.
I bought it slightly used perfect condition never had any issues low miles so I'll assume it's the factory fill coolant. Maybe a few top ups here and there I'm assuming but not really a reason for the whole system to be orange.. I have heard the purple Ms 12106 as it ages tends to turn orange..
if your ESS battery is disconnected you should have dash lights on i'm thinking. I have the Auto Stop Eliminator installed as I don't use ESS at all either so I dont have to press the button with every start.

Jack up the front end and pull the tires off and make sure there are no loose front end parts and exhaust muffler hanger parts...

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,518 Posts
I bought it slightly used perfect condition never had any issues low miles so I'll assume it's the factory fill coolant. Maybe a few top ups here and there I'm assuming but not really a reason for the whole system to be orange.. I have heard the purple Ms 12106 as it ages tends to turn orange..
if your ESS battery is disconnected you should have dash lights on i'm thinking. I have the Auto Stop Eliminator installed as I don't use ESS at all either so I dont have to press the button with every start.

Jack up the front end and pull the tires off and make sure there are no loose front end parts and exhaust muffler hanger parts...
For what it's worth, the original factory coolant in my new 2017 Pacifica did appear somewhat orange even though the fluid recommended by Mopar is purple and is what I've put in my van. I don't think it is anything to worry about, just put the recommended fluid in when needed. I don't think color is the deciding factor any more, just make sure it is the correct type of coolant that meets specs.

·
Banned
291 Posts
For what it's worth, the original factory coolant in my new 2017 Pacifica did appear somewhat orange even though the fluid recommended by Mopar is purple and is what I've put in my van. I don't think it is anything to worry about, just put the recommended fluid in when needed. I don't think color is the deciding factor any more, just make sure it is the correct type of coolant that meets specs.
For the most part your right but the purple is for '17 and up Chryslers, I could be slightly off, but you have to be sure not to mix different types and brands...

·
Registered
38 Posts
So a few months back the check engine light came on driving down the interstate at about 67,000 miles. When I got home I hooked up my scan tool and pulled the codes and found "P000B B Camshaft Position Slow Response Bank 1". First step was an oil change using a Chrysler filter, but that didn't solve the problem so I took it to my local dealer.

I made an appointment to have the van looked at on a Monday. A week later it still had not even been pulled into the shop. Three days later they said it was an EVAP leak, but they had not found the source and they were still "diagnosing it". Another couple of days and they said a reprogramming of the computer fixed the issue and the check engine light was gone. I asked about the mysterious EVAP leak and she acted like she didn't know what I was talking about. Anyway the repair bill was $0, so I knew that they probably didn't actually do anything and were just hoping the check engine light wouldn't come back on. The van is not under warranty.

Fast forward about 12 hours later and the check engine light is back on. Back to the dealer again. It only took a couple of days this time for them to tell me the cam shaft sensor was bad and they would have to order one.

It took a couple of weeks for the sensor to come in and another couple of weeks for them to schedule the appointment to have it replaced. During this entire time the check engine light will come on for periods of time and also be off for periods of time. It actually was off for a full week just before this morning's appointment to have the cam sensor replaced.

So when I arrived this morning the same lady I have been dealing with acted like she had never seen the van or myself before. I had to go through the entire thing with her again and explain they had a part waiting for me. When I told her it was a camshaft sensor her exact words were "it probably won't fix it", but we will put it on. I explained to her that this was THEIR idea and they are the ones that diagnosed the van as needing this part. She then proceeded to tell me that it will probably need new camshaft and lifters to actually fix the problem. I said "at 70,000 miles?". She responded, yes that is about the right mileage for them and that they are considered "routine maintenance" on the Pacificas. I told her I had never heard of camshafts being a maintenance item except on exotic sports cars. After arguing for a while she also told me I can expect to replace the transmission every 100,000 miles. She said she has a big customer and all they buy is Pacificas. They supposedly have a standing order with them to replace the camshafts every 70,000 miles and the transmissions every 100,000 miles. She ballparked the camshaft replacement at $4K.

After reviewing my owners manual and checking Google, I can find no mention of camshafts being a maintenance item on the Chrysler 3.6L engines. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

** UPDATE 11-24-21 **
First thank you all for your input to confirm what I believed to be true. I have done a lot of research on the 3rd gen Pentastars since my initial post and they seem to be a solid engine. There is even a teardown video on YouTube of one with over 600,000 miles on it.

The dealer kept the van all day yesterday and never called to say it was ready. I was at work so I told my wife to go there just before closing and get the key, no matter what they tell you. If it's not fixed, I don't care just get the key so we could get the van back. When she arrived they told her the van was ready. The same service writer proceeded to tell her that she was wrong after all and it wasn't the cam sensor. Instead they just needed to reprogram. Keep in mind this is supposedly the same thing they did the last time when they kept the van for a couple of weeks. For good measure they left their dirty shop towels in the floorboard of the van.

So the service writer went from "oh it will take new camshafts to fix it" to reprogramming a 2nd time and it should be fine. On a side note, my wife said that while she was there another guy was there to pick up his Dodge truck. When he went to the truck to leave he discovered that his check engine light was still on even after they had "repaired" and charged him. He wasn't a happy camper.

I am pretty confident that the check engine light will be coming back very soon and when it does I am going to have a little chat with Chrysler about this dealer.
Right, everything connected with the air pollution controls must be warranted for 70,000 miles that includes the cam shaft I believe.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So a few months back the check engine light came on driving down the interstate at about 67,000 miles. When I got home I hooked up my scan tool and pulled the codes and found "P000B B Camshaft Position Slow Response Bank 1". First step was an oil change using a Chrysler filter, but that didn't solve the problem so I took it to my local dealer.

I made an appointment to have the van looked at on a Monday. A week later it still had not even been pulled into the shop. Three days later they said it was an EVAP leak, but they had not found the source and they were still "diagnosing it". Another couple of days and they said a reprogramming of the computer fixed the issue and the check engine light was gone. I asked about the mysterious EVAP leak and she acted like she didn't know what I was talking about. Anyway the repair bill was $0, so I knew that they probably didn't actually do anything and were just hoping the check engine light wouldn't come back on. The van is not under warranty.

Fast forward about 12 hours later and the check engine light is back on. Back to the dealer again. It only took a couple of days this time for them to tell me the cam shaft sensor was bad and they would have to order one.

It took a couple of weeks for the sensor to come in and another couple of weeks for them to schedule the appointment to have it replaced. During this entire time the check engine light will come on for periods of time and also be off for periods of time. It actually was off for a full week just before this morning's appointment to have the cam sensor replaced.

So when I arrived this morning the same lady I have been dealing with acted like she had never seen the van or myself before. I had to go through the entire thing with her again and explain they had a part waiting for me. When I told her it was a camshaft sensor her exact words were "it probably won't fix it", but we will put it on. I explained to her that this was THEIR idea and they are the ones that diagnosed the van as needing this part. She then proceeded to tell me that it will probably need new camshaft and lifters to actually fix the problem. I said "at 70,000 miles?". She responded, yes that is about the right mileage for them and that they are considered "routine maintenance" on the Pacificas. I told her I had never heard of camshafts being a maintenance item except on exotic sports cars. After arguing for a while she also told me I can expect to replace the transmission every 100,000 miles. She said she has a big customer and all they buy is Pacificas. They supposedly have a standing order with them to replace the camshafts every 70,000 miles and the transmissions every 100,000 miles. She ballparked the camshaft replacement at $4K.

After reviewing my owners manual and checking Google, I can find no mention of camshafts being a maintenance item on the Chrysler 3.6L engines. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

** UPDATE 11-24-21 **
First thank you all for your input to confirm what I believed to be true. I have done a lot of research on the 3rd gen Pentastars since my initial post and they seem to be a solid engine. There is even a teardown video on YouTube of one with over 600,000 miles on it.

The dealer kept the van all day yesterday and never called to say it was ready. I was at work so I told my wife to go there just before closing and get the key, no matter what they tell you. If it's not fixed, I don't care just get the key so we could get the van back. When she arrived they told her the van was ready. The same service writer proceeded to tell her that she was wrong after all and it wasn't the cam sensor. Instead they just needed to reprogram. Keep in mind this is supposedly the same thing they did the last time when they kept the van for a couple of weeks. For good measure they left their dirty shop towels in the floorboard of the van.

So the service writer went from "oh it will take new camshafts to fix it" to reprogramming a 2nd time and it should be fine. On a side note, my wife said that while she was there another guy was there to pick up his Dodge truck. When he went to the truck to leave he discovered that his check engine light was still on even after they had "repaired" and charged him. He wasn't a happy camper.

I am pretty confident that the check engine light will be coming back very soon and when it does I am going to have a little chat with Chrysler about this dealer.
You have a lot more patience than me. I would have contacted Chrysler much sooner.

Reactions: truecrimson

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wait till he tells you that you need winter air in the tires … lol
The Service rep at the nearest local Chrysler dealership has the same answer to any and all issues when I bring my Pacifica in - "Its bad gas'" . Im starting to suspect its his personal problem, but my experience with all the other local dealership service departments here in Bay area is pretty much the same - pathetic.

Reactions: Onickv

·
Banned
1,471 Posts

I can't think of what would make the coolant turn orange, even when it gets old, I think its more likely that what SciTchr is saying is correct, that there was perhaps a run of coolant they were using at that time that was more orangish in color.

No lights on the dash, I also have the ESS eliminator I wonder if that would keep the lights from being illuminated.

No tools or equipment to take the wheels off, I'll just take it back. My dealer is actually very good, its just a PITA to have to take it back after dragging my feet for weeks putting it in to begin with. If it were my car it wouldnt be a big deal its just transferring all the carseats and my wife's crap.

·
Banned
291 Posts
I can't think of what would make the coolant turn orange, even when it gets old, I think its more likely that what SciTchr is saying is correct, that there was perhaps a run of coolant they were using at that time that was more orangish in color.

No lights on the dash, I also have the ESS eliminator I wonder if that would keep the lights from being illuminated.

No tools or equipment to take the wheels off, I'll just take it back. My dealer is actually very good, its just a PITA to have to take it back after dragging my feet for weeks putting it in to begin with. If it were my car it wouldnt be a big deal its just transferring all the carseats and my wife's crap.
Yes if you have The autostop Eliminator installed you won't get any lights on the dashboard that's the beauty, and I love not pressing the button every single time I start up the car anymore it's like a little godsend.. However if you just disconnect the ESS battery you will get lights on the dashboard so always make sure that's fully connected.
I actually did a little research on that coolant and there's a lot of people that have the same issue when it gets a little older it turns more orange and if you hold it up in different angles you'll get a glimpse of purple but not like brand new purple.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts