2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if it's OK to leave the battery uncharged so I can easily get the ICE running to keep the oil circulated when I take the car out (which is now just once every couple weeks). I also have a Nissan Leaf and the Leaf forums say that you shouldn't leave it fully charged in order to preserve the battery life and that the ideal is at about 50% charge. Obviously that's a BEV so you'd want to leave a decent charge on there unlike a PHEV where it doesn't really matter if it runs out. I filled up just before the pandemic hit and my state is still in lockdown so it's just about full still. I've been taking it out once a week or so and flooring it to get the ICE running a couple times. I really wish this car had an "engine hold" mode like my Volt did to force the ICE to run. I've also tried popping the hood while parked to get it running for ten minutes or so. Considering how many times I've gotten FORM since having this van I'm a little disappointed that hasn't kicked in yet. :) Today I ran down the battery so I could get the ICE on full time and keep the oil moving on the rare occasions that I'm going out. Just want to get some advice if it's OK to leave it uncharged, or at least 3-5% where the engine kicks on anyways.

·
Registered
360 Posts
For the first 5 months I had mine, regular charging wasn’t possible, so mine sat often with no charge in the hv battery. No ill effects to report.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Just to repeat some info here:

The HV lithium ion battery is designed to be charged and deeply discharged repeatedly. It likes to be stored in a less than fully charged state.

The 12v lead-acid battery needs to be kept fully charged. Deep discharging will ruin it, particularly if kept discharged for any length of time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven't been charging mine for the same reason. We drive low miles and want to make sure the ICE gets enough usage. Other than that, haven't been doing anything special, figuring the van is intelligent enough to optimize things. My Prius before this--which wasn't a plug-in--would go a few miles on electric alone (if it could) and then switch to ICE, so the battery charge usually hovered around 0%

1 - 4 of 4 Posts