2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 hybrid, which came with neither of these options. Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with either purchasing the inflatable spare tire kit ($434 on the Mopar site) or just buying a donut separately and keeping it in the cargo?

I went on tirerack.com, and it looks like their cheapest steel wheel+ tire combo is ($180), so definitely seems cheaper than buying OEM.

Either of these options, I guess would have to just sit in the cargo area, which sounds like it could be annoying and noisy...

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have a 2017 hybrid, which came with neither of these options. Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with either purchasing the inflatable spare tire kit ($434 on the Mopar site) or just buying a donut separately and keeping it in the cargo?

I went on tirerack.com, and it looks like their cheapest steel wheel+ tire combo is ($180), so definitely seems cheaper than buying OEM.

Either of these options, I guess would have to just sit in the cargo area, which sounds like it could be annoying and noisy...
To me the issue boils down to where you plan to typically drive the vehicle. If you are mostly in-town or Interstate Highway driving, chances are you don't need a spare at all. If on the other hand you frequently travel to rural or backwoods places then a spare is kind of important. I'm not sure if your vehicle came with the Vacuum System, but if so there is a thread on the forum about removing such that the normal Spare Tire Kit can mount in it's place. To me the Vacuum is useless, not because it doesn't work but because we just don't use it. If you must have a Spare Tire then it would be preferable to have it hidden in the interior side-wall over having it laying in the Cargo space full-time. One Owner actually placed it on the Roof-Rack.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Good thought @wisejd, but @Crazyjake85 drives a hybrid and can't have either the spare or the vacuum because the 12V battery lives back there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
To me the issue boils down to where you plan to typically drive the vehicle. If you are mostly in-town or Interstate Highway driving, chances are you don't need a spare at all. If on the other hand you frequently travel to rural or backwoods places then a spare is kind of important. I'm not sure if your vehicle came with the Vacuum System, but if so there is a thread on the forum about removing such that the normal Spare Tire Kit can mount in it's place. To me the Vacuum is useless, not because it doesn't work but because we just don't use it. If you must have a Spare Tire then it would be preferable to have it hidden in the interior side-wall over having it laying in the Cargo space full-time. One Owner actually placed it on the Roof-Rack.

This was exactly our thought process when deciding to go with the vacuum delete on our Limited. More than a couple times per year, we go on pretty long road trips. Long stretches of rural road with no signs of civilization for 40 miles. While we have roadside assistance, we also have kids. A flat tire and a 2 hour wait for a tow truck was unacceptable, however unlikely that situation may be. A spare was mandatory, and giving up a vacuum we would literally never use was an easy choice to make that happen.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I was mislead when I bought the car because I asked where the spare tire was located and the sales man could not tell me exactly or did not want to tell me knowing that probable I was going to walk away from the deal if I knew that there was not a spare tire in my Pacifica. But later on at home when I found that out this is what I reasoned. The last time I used a spare tire was almost 15 years ago. The last time two times that I had a flat tire I never used the spare tire, I just over inflated the tired and that gave me long enough time to reach a place where the tire was fixed. In a long trip, the repair kit in our Pacifica will give me enough time to find a place to repair the tire. If you have doubts, buy a spare repair kit, no plugs but one of those spray cans, that will give you enough time to find a place to repair the flat tire. If you are a handy man there are repair kits with plugs, I have seen a friend of mine using one of those in a long trip, but again, to me is an over kill. If you are not over driving your tires the scenario of a flat tire where the tire is totally unfixable with a hole the side of your fit is totally unlikely. All you will see usually is a hole made by a nail that will deflate your tire slowly and those are fully fixable with these repair kits that are provided with your car and that include an air pump.

After reasoning all that, a spare tire is not longer in my list of must have in a car.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I understand the thought process in using the kit over the spare wheel; most in-use flats are from running over things like nails, and in that case my default action is Fix-A-Flat and get to a place to have the tire R/R'd. And like @citanic, I have not even had an issue for many years, so I was not uncomfortable with the kit. Of course, a tire can fail catastrophically, in which case only a different wheel will get you back on the road, but that's rare enough in my mind not to feel the need to carry one.

An alternative to either option would be keeping a can of quick fix like Fix-A-Flat, to at least have a backup plan. Neither of my other vehicles have spares or kits, just a spare can. Maybe I'm playing with fire, but all good so far anyway.

·
Registered
686 Posts
But a catastrophically failure in a tire can only happen if you have abused (over used) the tire. If you use to change tires when you should the only way for that to happens is if you hit something in the road that will cut your tire instead of punching it. The odds of something like that happening to you is at the level of getting hit by a lightning. Like I said, no having the spare tire as an option in my TL+ opened my mind to rethink the situation and scratch the spare tire from my mandatory must have in a car. If it's there, ok, if it's not there I'll not accept anything without a repair kit that includes an air pump. air pump in bold letters.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hey, didn't mean to get you riled up there, sorry. Just putting out there that Fix-A-Flat can be an acceptable enough alternative to get you to a shop for a proper repair.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

The spare tire kit from Mopar should come with a jack, so if you buy a donut tire, consider how you will change it. The van doesn't come with a jack.

We purchased the spare tire kit from Mopar shortly after purchasing the van almost two years ago and have not used it. We purchased a new Outback in January and last week (at less than 5,000 miles) had a nail/road hazard puncture in the tire within two miles of our house. (The tire pressure sensor indicated a problem was occurring.) Within minutes of pulling into the garage, the tire completely flattened from the fast leak. Tire repair places were closed. The Outback had a spare, the tire was changed, repair was made the next day, and the tire was changed back. We haven't had many flats over the years, but we like to have a spare tire anyway. Having some sort of spare gives you more options. We haven't tried the fix it goo yet.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hey, didn't mean to get you riled up there, sorry. Just putting out there that Fix-A-Flat can be an acceptable enough alternative to get you to a shop for a proper repair.
I know. :) My issue with Fix-A-Flat is that still you need to inflate the tire in some way ;)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Think about it, a spare tire is more dead weight added and a waste of useful space you could have used for many other things. In the TL+ I'm using the compartment to keep a hand vacuum, tool kit, towels, etc. I still have room to put more stuff there. So definitely, I'm glad that TL+ came with just a repair kit that includes an air pump which BTW I used to carry in my Prius for emergencies and the one that saved at least 2 times to have to use the spare tire of my Prius. When you get what I call the "morning flat tire" that means that your tire spent the whole night to deflate. And that means that if you put air on it that will give you enough time (20 to 30 minutes) to get into a tire repair place. You need more time, stop and reinflate as many times as you need.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The van comes with an inflator/goo kit that plugs into the back power port.
Correct. The combination of that kit and a Fix-A-Flat is a total replacement for a spare tire.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Think about it, a spare tire is more dead weight added and a waste of useful space you could have used for many other things. In the TL+ I'm using the compartment to keep a hand vacuum, tool kit, towels, etc. I still have room to put more stuff there. So definitely, I'm glad that TL+ came with just a repair kit that includes an air pump which BTW I used to carry in my Prius for emergencies and the one that saved at least 2 times to have to use the spare tire of my Prius. When you get what I call the "morning flat tire" that means that your tire spent the whole night to deflate. And that means that if you put air on it that will give you enough time (20 to 30 minutes) to get into a tire repair place. You need more time, stop and reinflate as many times as you need.

I totally get that. But if I get a “morning flat”, I can also change the tire in 10 minutes and go to work. I can then either repair the flat myself after work, or stop by a tire shop for a fix during lunch or on my way to/from work.

As a bonus, repairing a tire that has been “repaired” with fix-a-flat isn’t as easy as one without, and many shops charge more to do so.

Different factors for different folks. The most important thing for us, however, was not having that worthless vacuum back there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought a 2019 Pacifica. Second week took a 2 1/2 hour trip. Coming home pulled off interstate to get a drink, pulled back on and tire went flat. Pulled out inflation kit followed directions and filled tire. Half a mlle later tire flat again. Didn’t add towing coverage because we had Chrysler Roadside. Found out they only pay if towed to Chrysler dealership. They’re not open on Sunday. Only place open was Walmart. Six hours later finally home. $180 for tow. $120 for tire. Someone here said you have more chance to get hit by lightning than have a flat the kit wouldn’t fix. I guess I got hit by lightning.

·
Super Moderator
572 Posts
Bought a 2019 Pacifica. Second week took a 2 1/2 hour trip. Coming home pulled off interstate to get a drink, pulled back on and tire went flat. Pulled out inflation kit followed directions and filled tire. Half a mlle later tire flat again. Didn’t add towing coverage because we had Chrysler Roadside. Found out they only pay if towed to Chrysler dealership. They’re not open on Sunday. Only place open was Walmart. Six hours later finally home. $180 for tow. $120 for tire. Someone here said you have more chance to get hit by lightning than have a flat the kit wouldn’t fix. I guess I got hit by lightning.
Exactly why we ordered the spare tire / vacuum delete. Cant put the vacuum on to get home lol

·
Registered
2020 Gas Pacifica Touring L+; (prev 2017 Touring L+)
896 Posts
Check your insurance policy. Some throw in roadside assistance..

I have AAA as well - they respond fast around here (except when 100 people need a jump start on a cold morning) and I don't want my wife stranded for a long time or forced to the dealer off hours.... To me it's worth the few $$$.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts