2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

info/advice on the 8th seat option

36K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  astine21 
#1 ·
I've narrowed down my search for a new Pacifica to the Limited trim. I am considering getting one with the 8th seat (no sunroof due to seatbelt placement). My question is how useful is the 8th seat for seating teens and adults? We also have a Toyota Camry and my kids fit fine in the back seat. Although we are a family of 5 I like the versatility of being able to take 8 adults. Is this realistic with that as the 8th seat? Also how well do 3 adults fit in the back seat? Thanks in advance for any advice.

#2 ·
I was really torn between the 8th seat or sunroof cause I never use the rear seats and so always stowed....so I thought ok, I can do a 5 passenger, but the sunroof won over that.

#6 ·
If you never use the rear seats, why would you be torn? Seems like the sunroof would be a no-brainer in your case.

#3 ·
I just got back from the dealer and decided that when I finally buy one it will be with the 8th seat. I measured the middle seats with the 8th seat installed and found it to be roughly 51". Our Camry is about 54". Both have about 10" between the belts in the middle. For me there were a couple of determining factors. The sunroof is very cool, but even within the test drive time the novelty wore off for my wife and myself. We have 2 cars with sunroofs and almost never use them, but the Pacifica sunroof is very nice. If you are a true sunroof person I can see how the sunroof might win out.

So, for me the 8th passenger might be a little cramped, but it would beat taking 2 cars. The real deciding factor though was when I measured the back (3rd row) seat. The width of the back seat is only 46" with 8" between the belts. That could be really cramped for adults. When I have 5: it will be 2-2-1, for 6: 2-2-2, but when I have 7: it will be 2-3-2 (and of course 8: 2-3-3). The back seat (like on all mini vans is really narrow for 3 adults.

#4 ·
A sunroof is one of those beautiful things to have even if you rarely use it. I don't think I'd pay extra for one, but it broke my heart to have mine taken away to be replaced with what I believe to be worse than worthless 20" wheels. It's mostly the wheels that upset me, honestly. Now my insurance payments are going to be higher (because people only bother stealing wheels that are 20" or bigger), tire replacement more expensive, and the ride will be bumpier. Oh yeah, and I don't get the beautiful sunroof that's built into the limited price. I get so angry thinking about it.

#5 ·
we got the 8 passenger and wish we got the 7, since my daughter loves the 3rd row, so the 2 seats on 2nd row is stowed all the time and she loves the big room, one useful thing for the 8th passenger seat that cannto be stowed is we use that to anchor the dog's leash seatbelt anchor, but it would be cleaner if we do not have the 8th seat. I know i can always take it out but another thing to add in the garage lol

#7 ·
I guess the bottom line is that people have different needs, and it's nice that different options are out there for different buyers. I just wanted to do my homework before committing. I read a review from someone who was felt "cheated" when she traded in her 2015 T & C (that was loaded) for a Pacifica. She complained that it did not have video screens like her T & C. I'm not sure how you buy a model without them instead of one with them and then get upset...

That's fun for your daughter that she has the big space, but I'm guessing there may be a time down the road when you will all be happy that she can take 5 friends with her somewhere.

#10 ·
The Mopar slush mats should work. They include a removable section that fits between the 2 second row seats. Not sure how flat it would sit over the anchors though.

Reactions: ahhchu
#12 ·
I was wondering if we made the wrong choice going with the 8 passenger, but after two trips now with maxed out capacity, I'm confident we made the right call. Anyway, sunroofs leak and add heat I. The summertime to the cabin, so I'm not regretting not having one.

#15 ·
Sunroofs leak? I have owned numerous cars with sunroofs and not once did one ever leak, nor have I ever heard anyone tell me they had a sunroof that leaked.

#13 ·
8 seats

Mine is the eight seater only because it was on the lot and we wanted the granite color. I really prefered the 2 bucket seats in the back but I can live with the eight seater.probably will never use them as we never have over 6 people in the van.Only reason we got the van is it is very handy for me and the wife to get in as we are older.First van was a 93 olds.The only other truck we had was a2008 acadia which we loved but to hard for me and the wife to get in with larger tires on.The rest have been all vans.And I do love my pacific.It is a touring l plus with a lot of options.

#17 ·
Had a ford flex with a tri pain roof and at first thought the same, it was fine, heat i am talking about......now the Pacifica has a larger 1 piece roof compared to the flex......and then the actual moving portion. I keep going back to I live in tornado country, hail country.....it will be garaged and I also park in the garage at work......I really went back and fourth, but it is what it is and it was to be built this week.

#19 ·
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but it had some useful info for me.

Debating between the tri-pane sunroof or the 8th seat.

If you have the 8th seat, does it change the style of the other seats in the 2nd row?

We have narrow car seats (fit three across in our sedan). Does the rear row have three seat belts (I am assuming yes since it's advertised as 7 passenger)? What are the chances of getting two car narrow car seats and having a small adult between them for short trips?

Thanks!

#20 ·
The eighth seat option is another seat with belts, hence why no sun roof as it has the anchor on the roof. As far as the outter two mid row seats, the only diff is that you don't have the inner arm rests as the eighth seat takes up all the space between the two seats. Pacificas are out now, so I would suggest looking at your local lots for one with the eighth seat option and take the car seats.

#21 ·
I agree with Damon. You should be able to find an 8 passenger on a dealer lot. Bring your car seats and see how they fit.

The 3rd row only has 2 LATCH points. One of them is off center, so if you use that one, it takes up 2 seating positions and prevents somebody from sitting between them. The 2nd row has 3 LATCH points if you get the 8 seater.

#30 ·
I have the Limited w/ the 8th seat and I like it.

One configuration I just tried was to stow the 2 second row seats and keep the eight seat folded, it turns the Pacifica into a limo with the 3rd row up.

The eighth seat folded becomes like a living room table w/ cup holders.

You get a ton of leg room in the back and lots of noise (talking chatter) separation between the 1st and 3rd row....

In short, the 8th seat gives more passenger and configuration options..... I like it.

Reactions: soontobe
#31 · (Edited)
The eighth seat folded becomes like a living room table w/ cup holders.
You get a ton of leg room in the back and lots of noise (talking chatter) separation between the 1st and 3rd row....
In short, the 8th seat gives more passenger and configuration options..... I like it.
My family prefers "limo mode" too. Perhaps Chrysler will make that a future option for people who don't need an 8th seat but would like a sun roof AND prefer to still have some extra floor attachments for, as you said, a table or a second Chrysler console that actually lives up to the name "Super Console" (small drink cooler, please!).

Reactions: MajikMojo
#34 ·
I would have liked to have a sunroof over the front row only option!

It comes down to cost because now, you have to have three different trim designs for the roof instead of two.

#33 ·
I too wanted a sunroof as I had one for the last 8 years, however, I like the idea of having the 8th seat for flexibility as well as a place for the kids sitting outboard in second row to put their drinks instead of down on the floor (on the center stack). There is also a pocket there for "stuff" and doubles as an arm rest. Getting in the third row is so easy, there is no need to use that center passage way!

#36 ·
So here's what I'm pretty sure is a dumb question. My wife and I are split on the sunroof vs 8th seat question. Our sales person, trying to help resolve it, proposed going with the 8 seats and having his aftermarket "guy" put in a regular sunroof (not panorama), which he says never leaks. This seems like a bad idea - and I'm the pro-sunroof spouse - but does anyone have a different view, or even better experience with this? Thanks in advance.

#38 ·
When I was ready to order my 17 Pacifica, I wanted the loaded every option Limited......I never use the rear seats in any of my Chrysler vans, so I thought it was so cool to get the 8th seat option so I would have a 3 person "bench" just in case.....I also wanted the pano roof ...... I tried to get my guy at Chrysler to add that 8th seat and leave the sunroof, but can't cause of the **** latch in the roof. So, the sunroof / pano roof won out. I am better with that now as having 3 adults (we have no kids, but take the vans when we go out with neighbors) in that middle seat would not have been good. It is really for the kiddos that are small. I really think that people who get the middle 8th seat just need it cause they have 5 or 6 kids.

#40 ·
after market 8th seat

Has anyone installed a small 8th seat in the pacifica limited hybrid? Toyota has a small one you can take out and put in a side pocket. I realize it would not have a shoulder strap but it could have a waste seat belt. If I could get one of these after market options it would allow me to drive the 7 seater most of the time. help

#40 ·
do kids not enjoy the sunroof? I have three under three right now with the youngest being 3 months. we are saving up right now for a pacifica. i am debating the 8 seater vs sunroof. my thing is that my youngest have to be rear facing for 2 more years so i thought they would go well in the middle drivers side captains chair and middle extra 8th seat and then put my oldest forward facing in the back row. this with the passenger captains seat folded into the floor. any advice or what works for you guys? seating arrangement suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.