2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
I agree with Damon. You should be able to find an 8 passenger on a dealer lot. Bring your car seats and see how they fit.

The 3rd row only has 2 LATCH points. One of them is off center, so if you use that one, it takes up 2 seating positions and prevents somebody from sitting between them. The 2nd row has 3 LATCH points if you get the 8 seater.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with Damon. You should be able to find an 8 passenger on a dealer lot. Bring your car seats and see how they fit.

The 3rd row only has 2 LATCH points. One of them is off center, so if you use that one, it takes up 2 seating positions and prevents somebody from sitting between them. The 2nd row has 3 LATCH points if you get the 8 seater.
That is what I was wondering. So I definitely can't have two car seats attached with the LATCH system in the third row and someone in between them? What if one was attached with a shoulder harness?

·
Registered
17 Posts

So I couldn't get 2 LATCH'ed car seats in the third row and try to squeeze a small adult in the middle? That isn't going to happen, it sounds. What if one of the seats just used the shoulder harness to secure it? Do you think there would be enough room then?

We rented one for a few days in Orlando and liked it but I didn't really get a chance to mess around with the back seat.

It's a tough toss up between the large sunroof or the 8th seat!

·
Registered
999 Posts
I just got back from the dealer and decided that when I finally buy one it will be with the 8th seat. I measured the middle seats with the 8th seat installed and found it to be roughly 51". Our Camry is about 54". Both have about 10" between the belts in the middle. For me there were a couple of determining factors. The sunroof is very cool, but even within the test drive time the novelty wore off for my wife and myself. We have 2 cars with sunroofs and almost never use them, but the Pacifica sunroof is very nice. If you are a true sunroof person I can see how the sunroof might win out.

So, for me the 8th passenger might be a little cramped, but it would beat taking 2 cars. The real deciding factor though was when I measured the back (3rd row) seat. The width of the back seat is only 46" with 8" between the belts. That could be really cramped for adults. When I have 5: it will be 2-2-1, for 6: 2-2-2, but when I have 7: it will be 2-3-2 (and of course 8: 2-3-3). The back seat (like on all mini vans is really narrow for 3 adults.
I know this is a september post, but where did you measure? The Pacifica is one of the widest vehicles out there (not THE widest, but wider than the other vans). I ask because I do know there is a gap between seat and sliding door but you should have no problems fitting three across in the second row. The challenge would be accessing the third row if you were using it. Even at 51" though, three 17inch seats should be just fine and not overlap.

·
Registered
999 Posts
So I couldn't get 2 LATCH'ed car seats in the third row and try to squeeze a small adult in the middle? That isn't going to happen, it sounds. What if one of the seats just used the shoulder harness to secure it? Do you think there would be enough room then?

We rented one for a few days in Orlando and liked it but I didn't really get a chance to mess around with the back seat.

It's a tough toss up between the large sunroof or the 8th seat!
Don't let the LATCH be your determining factor for two reasons: LATCH is JUST AS SAFE as a seatbelt whereas both require right installation. and two, Kids outgrow LATCH rather quick now. LATCH recommended weight is 60 pounds COMBINED. that means, the weight of your carseat PLUS the weight of a child. An average carseat with steel frame is about 25 pounds. An average weight of a two year old is 25 pounds. You have just 10 pounds to play with before reaching the max. The average weight of a three year old is 36 pounds. So, in three years, your child will outgrow LATCH.

Now, LATCH is easier to install right, but you can make use of the seatbelt AND the lower TETHER section on the third row with carseat either in the middle (where latch is) or on the drivers side (no latch). Chrysler allows that configuration.

Therefore, the real question is, can an small adult fit in between the two carseats when they are outboard? Sure.. on short trips no problem.

FYI: you should ALWAYS use the lower TETHER spots when installing a carseat regardless of the seatbelt or LATCH and regardless of WEIGHT as there is no weight restriction. It only serves to reduce whiplash.

Source: various research from various carseat blogs over the past three years.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Sunroofs leak? I have owned numerous cars with sunroofs and not once did one ever leak, nor have I ever heard anyone tell me they had a sunroof that leaked.
same here... maybe when they are 20-30 years old they will start to leak! and I can tell you without a doubt that a good tint on the sunroof that blocks 95%+ uv rays WILL keep the van cool.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Holes

Just remember that when you had that 8 seat taken away there will Holes in the Floor where seat anchor goes
Those need to be cover if you don't want food or little tiny thing to falling into it. That's one thing that I find out myself to be a hassle.

I just got back from the dealer and decided that when I finally buy one it will be with the 8th seat. I measured the middle seats with the 8th seat installed and found it to be roughly 51". Our Camry is about 54". Both have about 10" between the belts in the middle. For me there were a couple of determining factors. The sunroof is very cool, but even within the test drive time the novelty wore off for my wife and myself. We have 2 cars with sunroofs and almost never use them, but the Pacifica sunroof is very nice. If you are a true sunroof person I can see how the sunroof might win out.

So, for me the 8th passenger might be a little cramped, but it would beat taking 2 cars. The real deciding factor though was when I measured the back (3rd row) seat. The width of the back seat is only 46" with 8" between the belts. That could be really cramped for adults. When I have 5: it will be 2-2-1, for 6: 2-2-2, but when I have 7: it will be 2-3-2 (and of course 8: 2-3-3). The back seat (like on all mini vans is really narrow for 3 adults.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Storm

Well, we could have hailstorms and I would rather have metal roof then glass roof hahaha.

Had a ford flex with a tri pain roof and at first thought the same, it was fine, heat i am talking about......now the Pacifica has a larger 1 piece roof compared to the flex......and then the actual moving portion. I keep going back to I live in tornado country, hail country.....it will be garaged and I also park in the garage at work......I really went back and fourth, but it is what it is and it was to be built this week.

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
Just remember that when you had that 8 seat taken away there will Holes in the Floor where seat anchor goes
Those need to be cover if you don't want food or little tiny thing to falling into it. That's one thing that I find out myself to be a hassle.
The Mopar rubber mats include a section that fits over those anchors perfectly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the Limited w/ the 8th seat and I like it.

One configuration I just tried was to stow the 2 second row seats and keep the eight seat folded, it turns the Pacifica into a limo with the 3rd row up.

The eighth seat folded becomes like a living room table w/ cup holders.

You get a ton of leg room in the back and lots of noise (talking chatter) separation between the 1st and 3rd row....

In short, the 8th seat gives more passenger and configuration options..... I like it.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
You get a ton of leg room in the back and lots of noise (talking chatter) separation between the 1st and 3rd row....
In short, the 8th seat gives more passenger and configuration options..... I like it.
My family prefers "limo mode" too. Perhaps Chrysler will make that a future option for people who don't need an 8th seat but would like a sun roof AND prefer to still have some extra floor attachments for, as you said, a table or a second Chrysler console that actually lives up to the name "Super Console" (small drink cooler, please!).

·
Registered
999 Posts
I've narrowed down my search for a new Pacifica to the Limited trim. I am considering getting one with the 8th seat (no sunroof due to seatbelt placement). My question is how useful is the 8th seat for seating teens and adults? We also have a Toyota Camry and my kids fit fine in the back seat. Although we are a family of 5 I like the versatility of being able to take 8 adults. Is this realistic with that as the 8th seat? Also how well do 3 adults fit in the back seat? Thanks in advance for any advice.
I too wanted a sunroof as I had one for the last 8 years, however, I like the idea of having the 8th seat for flexibility as well as a place for the kids sitting outboard in second row to put their drinks instead of down on the floor (on the center stack). There is also a pocket there for "stuff" and doubles as an arm rest. Getting in the third row is so easy, there is no need to use that center passage way!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Why didn't they put the middle seat shoulder anchor into the seat like other vans so that you can still have the sunroof?
I would have liked to have a sunroof over the front row only option!

It comes down to cost because now, you have to have three different trim designs for the roof instead of two.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the Limited w/ the 8th seat and I like it.

One configuration I just tried was to stow the 2 second row seats and keep the eight seat folded, it turns the Pacifica into a limo with the 3rd row up.

I LOVE the idea of turning the 8th seat into the "living room coffee table." We don't have our van yet, but my two kids (2 and 5) are insisting they will always want to sit in the 3rd row with the middle seats down. I assumed I'd be taking out the 8th seat to stow the second row, but this idea is way better!

·
Registered
13 Posts
So here's what I'm pretty sure is a dumb question. My wife and I are split on the sunroof vs 8th seat question. Our sales person, trying to help resolve it, proposed going with the 8 seats and having his aftermarket "guy" put in a regular sunroof (not panorama), which he says never leaks. This seems like a bad idea - and I'm the pro-sunroof spouse - but does anyone have a different view, or even better experience with this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I LOVE the idea of turning the 8th seat into the "living room coffee table." We don't have our van yet, but my two kids (2 and 5) are insisting they will always want to sit in the 3rd row with the middle seats down. I assumed I'd be taking out the 8th seat to stow the second row, but this idea is way better!
Note that if your kids are strapped into car seats, they're not going to be able to reach the 8th seat. It might just get in the way. When folded, the center seat is just two cup holders and a small cubby for loose items. If you regularly carry older kids or adult passengers in the second row, those cup holders might be nice to have, just so people don't have to reach to the cup holders in the doors or center console. But if your intention is to stow the second row seats, I can't see the benefit of keeping the middle one in place.

So here's what I'm pretty sure is a dumb question. My wife and I are split on the sunroof vs 8th seat question. Our sales person, trying to help resolve it, proposed going with the 8 seats and having his aftermarket "guy" put in a regular sunroof (not panorama), which he says never leaks. This seems like a bad idea - and I'm the pro-sunroof spouse - but does anyone have a different view, or even better experience with this? Thanks in advance.
I agree with you, bad idea to cut a hole in a brand new car. I think all sunroofs have the potential to leak, but the factory ones should have drainage so water doesn't get into the cabin or stain the roof liner. Also, if you decide to sell it or trade it in, I think the aftermarket sunroof is likely to kill resale value.

·
Registered
742 Posts
When I was ready to order my 17 Pacifica, I wanted the loaded every option Limited......I never use the rear seats in any of my Chrysler vans, so I thought it was so cool to get the 8th seat option so I would have a 3 person "bench" just in case.....I also wanted the pano roof ...... I tried to get my guy at Chrysler to add that 8th seat and leave the sunroof, but can't cause of the **** latch in the roof. So, the sunroof / pano roof won out. I am better with that now as having 3 adults (we have no kids, but take the vans when we go out with neighbors) in that middle seat would not have been good. It is really for the kiddos that are small. I really think that people who get the middle 8th seat just need it cause they have 5 or 6 kids.

·
Registered
1 Posts
after market 8th seat

Has anyone installed a small 8th seat in the pacifica limited hybrid? Toyota has a small one you can take out and put in a side pocket. I realize it would not have a shoulder strap but it could have a waste seat belt. If I could get one of these after market options it would allow me to drive the 7 seater most of the time. help

·
Registered
1 Posts
do kids not enjoy the sunroof? I have three under three right now with the youngest being 3 months. we are saving up right now for a pacifica. i am debating the 8 seater vs sunroof. my thing is that my youngest have to be rear facing for 2 more years so i thought they would go well in the middle drivers side captains chair and middle extra 8th seat and then put my oldest forward facing in the back row. this with the passenger captains seat folded into the floor. any advice or what works for you guys? seating arrangement suggestions?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts