2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2018 hybrid in April 2019. It was sitting on the dealer showroom floor, don't know how long.
When the sun hits the windshield at a particular angle, the windshield shows myriad, tiny bubbles or dots or imperfections, very uniform.
They do not wash off.
The dealer doesn't really believe me because unless the sun is just at the right angle, they are almost invisible.
They are a big issue for me because of:
1. The sun hits the windshield at "the" angle sometimes when you drive.
2. At night. I suspect those tiny imperfections cause some glare with headlights.

Has anybody else noticed this issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Those "tiny imperfections" in wind screen are probably dried hard water spots. I had what you are describing. they will not wash off with soap and water. You need to use a wet steel wool pad.......tortus

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Those "tiny imperfections" in wind screen are probably dried hard water spots. I had what you are describing. they will not wash off with soap and water. You need to use a wet steel wool pad.......tortus
Once I made a mistake of cleaning an oven window with a steel wool. Never again I will put a steel wool against glass.

·
Registered
100 Posts
This may have been something that you used to be able to do, maybe there are now special coatings on windshields that steel wool could damage. But I have heard using steel wool is the best method for cleaning a bug encrusted windshield, although I have never tried it. I was told you have to use the finest grade 0000 and I would definitely do a test somewhere that is out of your normal field of view. Another option would be to use a clay bar.

I once owned a car which was accidentally covered with 2-part epoxy over spray from a large painting job. Mine was one of hundreds that got over sprayed. The painting company had to have all the cars detailed and they used a clay bar to remove the small droplets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hmmm... I'm just seeing this now.

My windshield was spattered with tiny spots - it almost looked like I had driven through a mist of varnish. Wasn't too apparent until I was driving into the sun; but then it was awful. At first I thought it was tree sap - but driving through heavy rain and repeated cleanings at gas stations didn't make a difference. We purchased our van as used (it had been a rental), so I just assuming something had happened in its prior life.

Then my husband tried using some 3-M Glass Cleaner which seems to be a lot more heavy-duty than Windex - and it took the spots off! I think he got the 3-M at a car parts store.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts