2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This looks really poor job on the inside of the trunk hatch. The Paint is rough textured, there are grinder marks and weld splatter. Not sure what happened in the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L (built 9/2017)
330 Posts
This looks really poor job on the inside of the trunk hatch. The Paint is rough, textured, there are grinder marks and weld splatter. Not sure what happened in the factory.

The rough textured paint in that area is normal. The weld splatters are not. I don't know how a dealership would handle it, but I'd take it back and see what they can do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rough textured paint in that area is normal. The weld splatters are not. I don't know how a dealership would handle it, but I'd take it back and see what they can do.
Thanks. Nice knowing it’s a common “feature”.

Taking it in soon for its yearly physical so will see what they say.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would guess the dealer response will be: it's "normal". It's not an "A-side" surface, visual appearance does not need to be cosmetically perfect. My guess the part is cast and paying for a polish operation for a door hatch area didn't make the cut. I personally don't mind.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Limited
393 Posts
This is from the AllData service manual.

The liftgate inner panel is a combination of magnesium and aluminum alloys. The usage of this type of material utilized in this application requires unique guidelines that must be adhered to.

NOTE:
Due to the usage of magnesium, do not attempt to repair the liftgate inner panel.

NOTE:When working with a magnesium component be certain to follow all warnings See: Service Precautions (Refer to 23 - Body/Warning).

Appearance-

- The textured finish on the liftgate inner panel differs from a smooth finish typically found on closure panels.

- The texture is produced from the casting of the component as compared to smooth stamped sheet metal.

- This finish is completely normal and acceptable.

- Do not remove the textured finish to produce a smooth finished appearance.

Workability-

- Do not grind the material, it will create combustible magnesium residue.

- Any sanding of the component is to be done with a scuff pad not a sanding disc.

- Do not make any repairs to liftgate inner panel other than for refinishing purposes.

For further information refer to Liftgate Inner Panel DO NOT REPAIR as found in the collision information (Refer to 31 - Collision Information/Standard Procedures/Non-Structural Sheet Metal Repairs).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good info guys!

@FiPacifica ; Cast Magnesium and Aluminum! Right, not touching that! I wonder if that is more light-weight? Wow that Body Service Manual is helpful. Thanks for sharing those details.

It is indeed hidden when the trunk is closed and from previous experience I doubt the dealer would do anything about it.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My Rolls Royce has no such blemish. Intolerable!

·
Registered
46 Posts
My Rolls Royce has no such blemish. Intolerable!
Eh, I don't think that's where the OP was coming from. The repair guide FitPacifa posted nails it, if you are expecting the smooth appearance of a stamped part, and not familiar that more and more parts are getting cast and that they have poorer surface finish. I can see someone going "what **** is this, was it rookie day at the paint shop?"

Add in the OP just bought the car, now is the time to ID paint and panel defects so the dealer can't say "happened on the road deal with it".

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
596 Posts
I'm sure Waldo just forgot to post the appropriate smiley face in that last post.

Reactions: tekfranz

·
Registered
519 Posts
Sorry, I can't take this seriously. I think dealer should laugh at you. My honest, if harsh, opinion. I had to look carefully to see the 'issue'.

Reactions: tekfranz

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Eh, I don't think that's where the OP was coming from. The repair guide FitPacifa posted nails it, if you are expecting the smooth appearance of a stamped part, and not familiar that more and more parts are getting cast and that they have poorer surface finish. I can see someone going "what **** is this, was it rookie day at the paint shop?"

Add in the OP just bought the car, now is the time to ID paint and panel defects so the dealer can't say "happened on the road deal with it".
Yep, that’s it. I’ve done a little welding and automotive painting, so I notice stuff like this. I thought the Robot painters and welders should do a nice shiny smooth paint job. But now that I know it’s cast Aluminum/Magnesium, it makes sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts