2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has installed a CB radio in a 2017 Pacifica Touring-L. I could get a handheld transceiver for the purpose, but its range, even with an external antenna, isn't as good as a mounted unit with a whip. I might also want to be able to route it to the car speakers. I could do this with my old Caravans, but the Pacifica is so dominated by electronics and complex wiring I'm not sure it could be done.

·
Registered
123 Posts
That sounds like a cool project. If you have an AUX OUT from your CB, you could plug it in the AUX IN from the UConnect and play your CB in the car's speakers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, hadn't considered that. I suppose I could drop the thing into the coin drawer and wire through 12v receptacle.

·
Super Moderator
579 Posts
Thanks, hadn't considered that. I suppose I could drop the thing into the coin drawer and wire through 12v receptacle.
every now and then I get the urge to dabble into ham radio or CB but never pulled the trigger. I do know a bit about the science involved with it and just want to say be careful with you power levels and have good shielding because you can "cross talk" into you electronics into you van and even possible set off airbags. Not much of a problem with older vehicles but the Pacifica is like a space ship compared to the older minivans I grew up in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you -- I'd be surprised if the frequencies CBs operate on would trigger or interfere with airbag deployment,. but I'll surely consider it as I work on this project.

·
Super Moderator
579 Posts
Thank you -- I'd be surprised if the frequencies CBs operate on would trigger or interfere with airbag deployment,. but I'll surely consider it as I work on this project.
Mainly about the how much power your transmitting at, frequencies play into a bit im sure but anything you have EMI messing with digital communications it can be bad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Learned awhile ago to use shielded coax, ferrite beads, and a good ground for radio and antenna with a tuned SWR, because you're right that in some installations RF interference can disrupt communications and sensitive electronics. I've never heard of a CB bleed-over triggering airbag deployment.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi guys,
So I just tested a through-glass VHF/UHF antenna over the pano roof glass and the rear roof glass and I was getting pretty darn good return loss values and amazing range, so, for those who are interested in pursuing antenna installs, I believe a through-glass antenna will work in the van, at least on the Limited I have. Perhaps not as good as an NMO mounted like I have on my Focus, but it will certainly work a lot better than no antenna at all. I plan on installing a GMRS mobile repeater on my Pacifica, and eventually some LMR VHF stuff too. Since I am not at the point of drilling holes on this beauty, I figured I'd start with a through-glass antenna and after testing a cheapie TRAM, I decided performance is really good enough to warrant me purchasing a Larsen through-glass antenna.

Radios will be a combo of Vertex Standards EVX-5300 and EVX-5400... :)

G.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts