2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what you're trying to do here. Are you trying to enable Carplay or Android Auto on it? If not, what is the difference between 3rd and 4th Gen ?

I am also interested to see if we can enable Carplay on this.
That was my goal, but the more I talked to folks it's not possible on the 2017 hardware in the Pacifica even when attempting to cross flash a firmware from a 2017 Charger, Challenger, or 300 due to a VIN check in the firmware. I also learned that the 2018 hardware of the Pacifica they changed from Harman to Panasonic and different USB connections.

Hopefully in time someone will crack this nut, but so far Infotainment and NavRepair.com said not possible

·
Registered
5 Posts
That was my goal, but the more I talked to folks it's not possible on the 2017 hardware in the Pacifica even when attempting to cross flash a firmware from a 2017 Charger, Challenger, or 300 due to a VIN check in the firmware. I also learned that the 2018 hardware of the Pacifica they changed from Harman to Panasonic and different USB connections.

Hopefully in time someone will crack this nut, but so far Infotainment and NavRepair.com said not possible
If there is a way to get Carplay & Android Auto on a 2017, I want to know about it! I've read somewhere that it's not possible to interchange the hardware either (plug differences and CAN Bus differences) I REALLY want AA on it! Although I must say, the built in NAV is pretty nice, and most people that use ACP and AA say they really don't use it as much as they thought they would. I suppose having to plug the phone in every time to use ACP or AA would be a pain...?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Honestly I don't use android auto that much because it prevents quick charging which is much more useful imo.

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
If there is a way to get Carplay & Android Auto on a 2017, I want to know about it! I've read somewhere that it's not possible to interchange the hardware either (plug differences and CAN Bus differences) I REALLY want AA on it! Although I must say, the built in NAV is pretty nice, and most people that use ACP and AA say they really don't use it as much as they thought they would. I suppose having to plug the phone in every time to use ACP or AA would be a pain...?
I have AA ON MY 17 Cadillac and love it so much that I bought AA compatible stereo for my old 1994 landcruiser. I love the interface and being able to say what I want without having to use my phone. It works for navigation and I use Waze, responding to texts, playing music, and my home automation...I no longer keep a garage door opener clicker in my old landcruiser or program the home link in my cars. I just tell google to open my garage door when I get close to home. One thing I have noticed is in the summer my phone starts getting pretty hot when I use multiple things at once. I started pointing one of the vents at it and it helps.

Pretty disappointed that our 17 Pacifica doesn't have it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Please tell me we can upgrade to the 2018 Pacifica's system to get CarPlay via this method! (This is, I have a 2017 Pacifica, and I want the 2018's system to get CarPlay support).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not sure what you're trying to do here. Are you trying to enable Carplay or Android Auto on it? If not, what is the difference between 3rd and 4th Gen ?

I am also interested to see if we can enable Carplay on this.

What about swapping out the hardware for the 2018 hardware? At this point I'm willing to explore that to get CarPlay...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems Infotainment is now advertising the 2017 Pacifica Upgrade with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto - https://www.infotainment.com/collections/all/products/2017-chrysler-pacifica-gps-navigation-vp4-ru-radio-upgrade?variant=9337471434788 - SKU: C-UAV-RU + C-DISP-RU18

I am now trying to find out from NavRepair if they can perform this same update to existing hardware; of course it would just be awesome if Chrysler gave us the update as originally advertised. https://navrepair.com/collections/chrysler-gps-navigation/products/update-service-ra3-ra4-vp3-vp4-na-ca-eu

·
Registered
46 Posts
Seems Infotainment is now advertising the 2017 Pacifica Upgrade with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto - https://www.infotainment.com/collections/all/products/2017-chrysler-pacifica-gps-navigation-vp4-ru-radio-upgrade?variant=9337471434788 - SKU: C-UAV-RU + C-DISP-RU18

I am now trying to find out from NavRepair if they can perform this same update to existing hardware; of course it would just be awesome if Chrysler gave us the update as originally advertised. https://navrepair.com/collections/chrysler-gps-navigation/products/update-service-ra3-ra4-vp3-vp4-na-ca-eu

I just ordered one. I'll let everyone know how it goes once I get it and install it! Thanks again!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just ordered one. I'll let everyone know how it goes once I get it and install it! Thanks again!
Nice wow you went full trigger right away!!! The do offer a buy back for your original OEM unit, I would be curious how much of the $1600 you can get via the buy back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice wow you went full trigger right away!!! The do offer a buy back for your original OEM unit, I would be curious how much of the $1600 you can get via the buy back.
I couldn't help myself 😉. They said up to $300 depending on the condition of the unit. I may just hang onto it for that price. Only downside to the UAV is that I have a lifetime service contract and this new radio wouldn't be covered. Let's hope it doesn't fail 😉.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I couldn't help myself 😉. They said up to $300 depending on the condition of the unit. I may just hang onto it for that price. Only downside to the UAV is that I have a lifetime service contract and this new radio wouldn't be covered. Let's hope it doesn't fail 😉.
Only $300 !.......not being overly generous there (considering they sell same thing for a huge amount more)...interested to see how the new unit works out. You can always keep your original unit just in case the new one bugs out after warranty.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Only $300 !.......not being overly generous there (considering they sell same thing for a huge amount more)...interested to see how the new unit works out. You can always keep your original unit just in case the new one bugs out after warranty.
Yes I was surprised at the lowball offer also. I wonder what it would fetch on eBay. Yes I think saving the original makes the most sense!

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I received the unit today and tried to install it. There are some differences between the RA4 and the UAV and the wires in the dash (for example, there's an orange coax that was connected to the RA4 and when I called into Infotainment's support they said I didn't need to connect that to anything on the UAV (but I still asked them what it was for, and so far they haven't gotten back to me yet). Also, there's a black connector on the back of the UAV that's apparently a diagnostic port and I was told to ignore it. (I'll post pictures of the units for comparison tomorrow).

When I connected the available wires and harness to the UAV, it turned on and was able to control my in-car HVAC (good sign), CarPlay worked great, but I cannot hear any audio (fairly major issue, right?). I have a 2017 Limited, and I called Infotainment right as their support was closing, so hopefully tomorrow they'll get back to me with why the unit isn't sending audio to the speakers. Fingers crossed. I'll let everyone here know what happens tomorrow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I received the unit today and tried to install it. There are some differences between the RA4 and the UAV and the wires in the dash (for example, there's an orange coax that was connected to the RA4 and when I called into Infotainment's support they said I didn't need to connect that to anything on the UAV (but I still asked them what it was for, and so far they haven't gotten back to me yet). Also, there's a black connector on the back of the UAV that's apparently a diagnostic port and I was told to ignore it. (I'll post pictures of the units for comparison tomorrow).

When I connected the available wires and harness to the UAV, it turned on and was able to control my in-car HVAC (good sign), CarPlay worked great, but I cannot hear any audio (fairly major issue, right?). I have a 2017 Limited, and I called Infotainment right as their support was closing, so hopefully tomorrow they'll get back to me with why the unit isn't sending audio to the speakers. Fingers crossed. I'll let everyone here know what happens tomorrow.
Quick update: Apparently, leaving the UAV in the car for a bit then coming back to it has fixed the problem. This unit appears to do discovery over the car's CAN bus and tailors the user interface elements to the specific car (for example, the Media function showed a "USB 1" and "USB 2" function when I connected it and turned it on, but since then, those disappeared and only a single "USB" button is presented (which makes more sense considering the lower USB power did not recognize the phone I plugged in but the top USB *did*)).

The user interface is *noticeably* faster, so it's clear the microcontroller in the UAV is significantly beefier (and/or the software was well-written on the UAV). Additionally, my top two most-hated bugs in the RA4 are fixed in the UAV --- namely, when playing music via USB, the first 2-3 seconds are NO LONGER cut off. Same goes for Bluetooth. I'll post more updates once I drive-test this on my commute :).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Quick update: Apparently, leaving the UAV in the car for a bit then coming back to it has fixed the problem. This unit appears to do discovery over the car's CAN bus and tailors the user interface elements to the specific car (for example, the Media function showed a "USB 1" and "USB 2" function when I connected it and turned it on, but since then, those disappeared and only a single "USB" button is presented (which makes more sense considering the lower USB power did not recognize the phone I plugged in but the top USB *did*)).

The user interface is *noticeably* faster, so it's clear the microcontroller in the UAV is significantly beefier (and/or the software was well-written on the UAV). Additionally, my top two most-hated bugs in the RA4 are fixed in the UAV --- namely, when playing music via USB, the first 2-3 seconds are NO LONGER cut off. Same goes for Bluetooth. I'll post more updates once I drive-test this on my commute :).
The UAV performed very well during the commute. The only bug I found was when I tried to "activate" the Connect services, which resulted in the CarPlay functionality getting disabled and Bluetooth also stopped functioning until I re-paired the phone. CarPlay did not start working again until I turned the car off and waited for aux power to turn off (effectively making the next car-start reboot the UAV). I have not found the magic key combo to soft-reboot the UAV (the RA4 was the mute button + the select button held for 10-15 seconds). If anyone knows what key combo reboots the UAV, please let me know!

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts

The UAV performed very well during the commute. The only bug I found was when I tried to "activate" the Connect services, which resulted in the CarPlay functionality getting disabled and Bluetooth also stopped functioning until I re-paired the phone. CarPlay did not start working again until I turned the car off and waited for aux power to turn off (effectively making the next car-start reboot the UAV). I have not found the magic key combo to soft-reboot the UAV (the RA4 was the mute button + the select button held for 10-15 seconds). If anyone knows what key combo reboots the UAV, please let me know!
That's great news! Thanks for the update. Wondering if the parts can be found on a totaled 18 and swapped out without issue or if infotainment needs to program something specifically.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's great news! Thanks for the update. Wondering if the parts can be found on a totaled 18 and swapped out without issue or if infotainment needs to program something specifically.
I was thinking the same thing; Would be good to know if a pull works without modification. It was interesting that Infotainment included a video cable (four-pin) despite the fact that the existing in-dash 4-pin video cable fit the new unit (I didn't try the old cable, though).

1 - 20 of 118 Posts