2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
301 - 320 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anyone tried installing the 2020 or 2021 head unit in a 2017? I'd love to give it a try and get wireless carplay

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Limited
452 Posts
Thank you.
How much should I expect to pay for these? $250 for the screen and $250 for the receiver?
My 2017 already has the 8.4" screen with NAV. Can I skip the screen, and just buy the receiver?
Thats about the price they go for generally, I have seen them cheaper at times. I think I paid $400 for both. Unfortunately, yes, you still need to change screens. The older screen is not compatible.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Limited
452 Posts
Anyone tried installing the 2020 or 2021 head unit in a 2017? I'd love to give it a try and get wireless carplay
Don't think anyone has tried that yet....you could be the first !!..I guess it depends on the plugs and if the software is compatible.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thank you.
How much should I expect to pay for these? $250 for the screen and $250 for the receiver?
My 2017 already has the 8.4" screen with NAV. Can I skip the screen, and just buy the receiver?
You will have the change the screen, but if you have the old 8.4 screen, the updated screen is soo much better. In fact, I enjoy the upgraded camera quality more than CarPlay.

I am looking to do that as well. car-part.com has a 2021 pacifica part available, when I reached out to them, they asked for $1300 just for the screen, so I passed. If you are nearby, you can probably try directly. AFAIK 2020 does not have wireless carplay, only the 2021 does.

My dealer is happy to loan me a 2021 pacifica for the weekend and I could probably try to swap the parts temporarily to check, but I feel like that's not the right thing to do, so haven't done that.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Limited
452 Posts
You can always add a wireless carplay adaptor if the Uconnect 5 unit does not work out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just ordered from LKQ. Pictures were wrong. Hardly any description. Hopefully I get both the screen + receiver.
It'd be nice if they were to send pictures before mailing it out at least.

"2018 Chrysler Pacifica (Truck) salvage - Radio - Audio Video Equipment Touring L,4dr,Elxp Receiver, 8.4 Touch Screen, W/Navigation, W/Satellite Radio ( Sirius ), W/Telemat"

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Limited
452 Posts
Just ordered from LKQ. Pictures were wrong. Hardly any description. Hopefully I get both the screen + receiver.
It'd be nice if they were to send pictures before mailing it out at least.

"2018 Chrysler Pacifica (Truck) salvage - Radio - Audio Video Equipment Touring L,4dr,Elxp Receiver, 8.4 Touch Screen, W/Navigation, W/Satellite Radio ( Sirius ), W/Telemat"
Hope you get the right one, you will also need one of these if you don't already know.. FAKRA HSD LVDS "Z" female to female 1.2m Shielded Dacar 535 4-Core for BMW、Benz | eBay

Reactions: cafute

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi @Airstream, I guess I'm not allowed to private message anyone because I'm a new user. But I'll take your FAKRA cable if it's still available. Shoot me a PM. Thanks!

I apologize to everyone else for the noise.

Edit: And... I guess I just needed one post, you've got a PM waiting for you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I finally did the upgrade from 2017 8.4" with Nav to a 2018 8.4" with Nav.
Long story short, I got a hold of several different receivers due to sellers mis-advertising their units.
I thought I would post a summary to help fellow users.

Difficulty: Super easy. Time: 5min.
The Nav in 2018-2020 is waaaaay better than the Nav in 2017. Actually enjoyable (even when Carplay/Android Auto is available). The 2017 Nav feels like a 2005 Garmin. The 2018 Nav is as good as it gets for a non-connected device.
There are a decent amount of cables that do not make it, and connectors that do not get connected. You can see in the picture below a lot of them do not have a match (red, orange, yellow, pink, black, ...) . Yet, everything works (how? I don't know... redundancy? As an engineer this baffles me)
I thought 2018-2020 were the same UConnect. Yet the hardware for sure changed: 3 connectors went missing!
I did not notice a difference in UI however. The 2020 did not have Nav, so I am returning it and keeping the 2018.

As for the 2021, I did not have the courage to spend a month making a wire harness adapter and see if things would work. I assume they would, but it is a lot of work. If someone wants to do it, and confirms it works, I'd be happy to pay for the harness 😊

·
Registered
7 Posts
I finally did the upgrade from 2017 8.4" with Nav to a 2018 8.4" with Nav.
Long story short, I got a hold of several different receivers due to sellers mis-advertising their units.
I thought I would post a summary to help fellow users.

Difficulty: Super easy. Time: 5min.
The Nav in 2018-2020 is waaaaay better than the Nav in 2017. Actually enjoyable (even when Carplay/Android Auto is available). The 2017 Nav feels like a 2005 Garmin. The 2018 Nav is as good as it gets for a non-connected device.
There are a decent amount of cables that do not make it, and connectors that do not get connected. You can see in the picture below a lot of them do not have a match (red, orange, yellow, pink, black, ...) . Yet, everything works (how? I don't know... redundancy? As an engineer this baffles me)
I thought 2018-2020 were the same UConnect. Yet the hardware for sure changed: 3 connectors went missing!
I did not notice a difference in UI however. The 2020 did not have Nav, so I am returning it and keeping the 2018.

View attachment 46626
Where did you get these from? Did you send back the 2020 screen yet? I want to get the android auto, but I do not need the nav. I would be willing to purchase the 2020 screen and module from you if that's an option?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed the 2018 8.4" Radio to replace my 2017. The insturment panel says Radio Locked. The screen is blank, but I can see the reverse camera on it, and small basic dials for the HVAC (i.e no uconnect interface). Can anyone help?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I installed the 2018 8.4" Radio to replace my 2017. The insturment panel says Radio Locked
That is because the head unit detected a different VIN than what it was registered. The security lockout can only be unlocked by a dealer.

·
Super Moderator
991 Posts
That is because the head unit detected a different VIN than what it was registered. The security lockout can only be unlocked by a dealer.
That's actually not correct. You can buy an unlock code on eBay for 10 bucks. Look back in this thread. I and others have posted a link in the past.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's actually not correct. You can buy an unlock on eBay for 10 bucks. Look back oin this thread. I and others have posted a link in the past.
Hey....How do you enter the unlock code? I just get a blank screen (i.e no uconnect interface). I do see the Chrysler Spalsh Screen when it shut downs but... The AC commands work on the screen, as well as the backup camera, but no uconnect :S

·
Super Moderator
991 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like you didn't install something correctly. Did you buy the fakra cable?

Also here is the link for the eBay listing to get unlock code.

yep got the farka cable. I am able to see the chrysler splash screen at the end which is odd.

·
Registered
14 Posts
updated - called the dealer, and PMed Jason who had a similar problem. Jason had to get his unit re-flashed, and it looks like my unit is kinda in the same boat!

·
Super Moderator
991 Posts
updated - called the dealer, and PMed Jason who had a similar problem. Jason had to get his unit re-flashed, and it looks like my unit is kinda in the same boat!
Bummer. Hope you get it sorted.

301 - 320 of 365 Posts