361 - 380 of 404 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,

Wanted to try to clear up some confusion. Using Car-part, there are quite a few different options. Anyone know what "telematics" means in this sense? Other than Nav/non-nav, I didn't realize there was any other variations of the 8.4.

Verifying the Fakra cable as well. The mouser link indicates it a female end, but page 2 says it's a male to make cable. Is the one on mouser correct?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello,

Wanted to try to clear up some confusion. Using Car-part, there are quite a few different options. Anyone know what "telematics" means in this sense? Other than Nav/non-nav, I didn't realize there was any other variations of the 8.4.

Verifying the Fakra cable as well. The mouser link indicates it a female end, but page 2 says it's a male to make cable. Is the one on mouser correct?
I think telematics is uconnect. However, I think every car has it, it's a question whether you pay for it or not after the trial period (I may be wrong). I believe car-part will try to match up the exact car configuration but for us it shouldn't matter since it supposedly should all be compatible with the 2017.

The faker should be female to female. Here is the one I purchased: FAKRA HSD LVDS "Z" female to female 1m Shielded Dacar 535 4-Core for BMW Benz | eBay

I think that's the correct one.

So LKQ shipped my parts and UPS shows it as 2.3 pounds which seems a little light for both processor and screen. So I called them up and they confirmed that they did ship both parts. Keeping my fingers crossed that somebody didn't screw up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Let us know how it goes. As a guy trying to order one, it's great to have folks that have done, and are currently successfully buying parts. Nice to know what still works.

LKQ only has an option for an 8.4" w/o nav currently, which isn't a big deal, but when you actually look up the VIN it's tied to a vehicle with a 7" which is frustrating.

The fact that the screen and receiver are together, but separate makes buying from a junkyard difficult. Never know what you'll get.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
484 Posts
Let us know how it goes. As a guy trying to order one, it's great to have folks that have done, and are currently successfully buying parts. Nice to know what still works.

LKQ only has an option for an 8.4" w/o nav currently, which isn't a big deal, but when you actually look up the VIN it's tied to a vehicle with a 7" which is frustrating.

The fact that the screen and receiver are together, but separate makes buying from a junkyard difficult. Never know what you'll get.
Read the whole window sticker. Using the window sticker listed above I highlighted in yellow that it shows both 7" screen and later on shows the optional installed 8.4" screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
I get that. I was not referring to that vehicle. I'm saying what's available currently.

It says 8.4" but the VIN and pictures are both clearly 7".

I find it odd the first picture isn't even a Pacifica radio.
Before you buy can you ask them for better pictures of both display and receiver?
Some could have upgraded it. I would love to upgrade to an 8.4" but I would need a custom adapter harness to make it work.
It seems only infotainment.com has them for $2,000. in a kit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I should also add that many cars with 8.4 UAV listed on their site as a 2018 is actually a 2017. A VIN check is required before you make any purchase. Their information is totally unreliable.
I find it odd the first picture isn't even a Pacifica radio.
Before you buy can you ask them for better pictures of both display and receiver?
Some could have upgraded it. I would love to upgrade to an 8.4" but I would need a custom adapter harness to make it work.
It seems only infotainment.com has them for $2,000. in a kit.
It's the default picture. One thing to check is the VIN to ensure what they describe is correct. Many so called 2018 are actually 2017 when you run the VIN lookup.

As far as the adapter harness, I suspect it's the same one mentioned here: DIY Upgrade 5.0 radio (ra2) to 8.4an (ra4) with navigation

·
Registered
11 Posts
I should also add that many cars with 8.4 UAV listed on their site as a 2018 is actually a 2017. A VIN check is required before you make any purchase. Their information is totally unreliable.

It's the default picture. One thing to check is the VIN to ensure what they describe is correct. Many so called 2018 are actually 2017 when you run the VIN lookup.

As far as the adapter harness, I suspect it's the same one mentioned here: DIY Upgrade 5.0 radio (ra2) to 8.4an (ra4) with navigation
Yeah 2017 is listed as an interchange to 2018, which is obviously sort of right, but not really. Which is why 2017's come up when you search 2018. LKQ/Car-Part really are tough to use when it comes to electronics. Need a fender? Great. Anything else? Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
In case anyone else has a 2017 LX with RA2 4" screen, you cannot upgrade to a 8.4 inch screen as you do not have the power connection for the screen. You need a special custom cable/wiring harness that infotainment sells as part of their $2,000 package.

Based on previous reports in this thread, I should be able to upgrade to a UAG/7" screen, however.

If anyone is interested in a 2018 radio with navigation and Sirius XM as well as the Chinese FAKRA Z cable, I've the entire kit - everything you would need to upgrade (as long as you're upgrading from an 8.4" screen). Happy to sell at cost - $400. Feel free to PM if interested.
I sent a PM but I'm assuming it's sold.

I think the members that have had success doing this could obviously start a little business sourcing units from junkyards and selling them. Clearly there's at least a small market.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yeah 2017 is listed as an interchange to 2018, which is obviously sort of right, but not really. Which is why 2017's come up when you search 2018. LKQ/Car-Part really are tough to use when it comes to electronics. Need a fender? Great. Anything else? Good luck
Thank you, I did not see the right custom cable on that link. This is what I would need to find. It plugs into the factory harness and splits a small connector off to power the screen then continues to the receiver.
View attachment 47358

·
Registered
484 Posts
I sent a PM but I'm assuming it's sold.

I think the members that have had success doing this could obviously start a little business sourcing units from junkyards and selling them. Clearly there's at least a small market.
I think infotainment.com buys them up and sells them for a big profit.

·
Registered
484 Posts

Thank you, I did not see the right custom cable on that link. This is what I would need to find. It plugs into the factory harness and splits a small connector off to power the screen then continues to the receiver.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So LKQ only sent me the screen without processor. I called and they offered to send me a processor from a 2017! I promptly requested a refund. I’m not sure if LKQ can be trusted after this experience.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Limited (Build 05/2016)
36 Posts
So LKQ only sent me the screen without processor. I called and they offered to send me a processor from a 2017! I promptly requested a refund. I’m not sure if LKQ can be trusted after this experience.
Hi, it is important that the processor is from Panasonic. I bought mine in Lithuania and the processor is from 11/2017

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is still a sticker on the device.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In my Pac was the Harman processor. This device was not Android Auto capable.

361 - 380 of 404 Posts