2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to install a safe in the interior of the vehicle somewhere. It's not necessarily for a firearm, but will be used to protect some proprietary items for my job. Has anyone else thought of this? If so, where is the best/most accessible spot and what brand worked for you?

I found this, but not certain it will work. Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Bulldog-Cases-Mounting-Bracket-Cable/dp/B005CGNANG

·
Registered
933 Posts
There is a small, empty space under the floor between the second row stow and go seats. Easy access? The seat would need to be up and you would need to lift the stow and go panel to get to the space.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you're considering using that bulldog, I'm assuming it doesn't need to be extremely tough to break into, nor does it need to store large items. I'd say that safe is fine. There are probably a dozen like it in that price range. I'd go with below the driver or passenger seat, rather than using the void between the stow-and-go. We used to keep a DVD player under the seat; plenty of space.

I'd be curious what the largest dimensions can fit under the seats without causing issues with adjustment. That'd be helpful.

·
Registered
944 Posts
With any kind of safe inside the vehicle, I would be concerned about getting at it in a hurry if I needed it. My solution was to velcro a holster to the second row seat. My 8 year old daughter can just hand it to me quickly if I need it. We practice the handoff twice a month to ensure there are no hiccups in a real situation

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you're going to use the bolt mount (rather than cable), I'm guessing the easiest method would be to remove the front seat after marking where you want it beforehand (and verifying it fits). There's probably lots of tips for this setup on other forums, as this question is not unique to the pacifica.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
So I bought this Bulldog Vault:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CGNANG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fits PERFECTLY under the void in my console. I removed the top cover to the console, used a T20 Torx bit to remove the sliding cup holders, and then drilled 4 holes to accept a set of machine screws with nuts to mount it securely to the inside of the console. I will take pictures and post.
Some photos of it mounted would be helpful, thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
With any kind of safe inside the vehicle, I would be concerned about getting at it in a hurry if I needed it. My solution was to velcro a holster to the second row seat. My 8 year old daughter can just hand it to me quickly if I need it. We practice the handoff twice a month to ensure there are no hiccups in a real situation

Are you implying that you have a gun holstered to your daughter's seat and she hands it to you? Why not just wear it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Or velcro it much closer to you? This is all very confusing to me.

no, no velcro, no stupid magnets, no bolting a holster to the side of the center console, no putting it in a cup holder. In an accident they all become projectiles. Put it in a good holster and wear it. It's the only place it should be and it should never be removed unless needed or ready to be put in a safe.

this makes my head hurt. ugh...

·
Registered
561 Posts
no, no velcro, no stupid magnets, no bolting a holster to the side of the center console, no putting it in a cup holder. In an accident they all become projectiles. Put it in a good holster and wear it. It's the only place it should be and it should never be removed unless needed or ready to be put in a safe.

this makes my head hurt. ugh...
I don't disagree. My question was more about positioning than whether attaching it to the vehicle was wise. If it's so important to have around 24/7, why place it out of reach to begin with?

·
Registered
686 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes...it is just under the rear cupholders in the console. I removed the upper tray and trim to get at the interior of the console. Had to remove the rear cupholders by taking out the 2 screws holding the sliding track system. I drilled holes into the console to accommodate the 4 bolts and bolted it into the console itself.

Reaching the key is very easy and fluid once you do it a bunch. I store some sensitive hardware for my job in there to ensure that it is always contained and secure. It would be pretty hard to pry that out of there, as there is hardly any clearance to do so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts