2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm experiencing issues with charging though the number of Chargepoint Level2 stations at work. We have a waitlist system that assign station randomly, so I don't have enough stats to blame a specific station. I would say during a month of charging I had 50% of successful sessions where charging graph would go to 5.9kw level and stay there during ~2hour period without any interruptions until battery is fully charged.

The rest of the sessions either start normally and after a while experience interruption or begin with some kind of issues right away. In both cases it eventually stop charging. When I come to the car to check I see no error message - it simply sitting there with black screen. When I press start button it shows green plugged-in indicator, but it looks like Chargepoint station is not dispensing electricity anymore and there is no charging happening. After I unplug and reactivate Chargepoint (starting new session essentially) it would continue to charge normally. Until another failure.

I contacted Chargepoint support and they are investigating. But it looks like Pacifica's specific problem because we have bunch of Teslas and Leafs here that seems to have no issues like this. Could it be that they are handling 6.6kw limit enforced by Chargepoint more intelligently?
Anybody else here with similar issues? Should I contact Chrysler?

I'm still using 120V charger at home, so I can't cross check the issue there. I didn't experience any problems on other public Level2 stations, but I only had few sessions so far.

Both successful and unsuccessful charging graphs attached.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
this happened today again at a brand new chargepoint station installed last week.

OMG...pacifica quality control just sucks...it takes 10 to 15 minutes for me to plugin my car for charging as soon as i come back to my desk i gets chargepoint message saying your car is fully charged....

what a bloody mistake i did by betting on chrysler.... i have volt before and never ever i see this type of issues.... a college graduate would design a better and reliable tech than these guys.. i might sound harsh or bitter but its the truth talking when i see my car fails to charge...fails to brake on Assisted curise....leather on the dashboard bulges with bubbles...

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I found a workaround today, anytime I see charge stops. I am sending a uconnect app car start command and that seems to recover charging. seems like something to do with computer/circuits on the car as it seems to be slipping into some kind of sleep mode and stops taking incoming power from chargepoint station.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I am wondering if this can be heat related and the car is slowing down or stopping the charging when its battery gets too hot. On my PacHy the cooling fan will come on periodically when being charged from my home ChargePoint in order to cool the battery down. During a full charge cycle from 0% to 100% this happens two or three times, or twice that often if the weather is hot or if the engine is hot from having been recently driven on gas. I am wondering if there is something wrong with the cooling fan such that it fails to turn on, thereby causing the battery to overheat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OMG...pacifica quality control just sucks...it takes 10 to 15 minutes for me to plugin my car for charging as soon as i come back to my desk i gets chargepoint message saying your car is fully charged....

what a bloody mistake i did by betting on chrysler.... i have volt before and never ever i see this type of issues.... a college graduate would design a better and reliable tech than these guys.. i might sound harsh or bitter but its the truth talking when i see my car fails to charge...fails to brake on Assisted curise....leather on the dashboard bulges with bubbles...
I am wondering if this can be heat related and the car is slowing down or stopping the charging when its battery gets too hot. On my PacHy the cooling fan will come on periodically when being charged from my home ChargePoint in order to cool the battery down. During a full charge cycle from 0% to 100% this happens two or three times, or twice that often if the weather is hot or if the engine is hot from having been recently driven on gas. I am wondering if there is something wrong with the cooling fan such that it fails to turn on, thereby causing the battery to overheat.
Yeah highly likely this could be happening...I noticed ttoday that my car though the charging has stopped , it will restart after few minutes. which could be when battery temperature dropped down and I think i never noticed this issue when under the roof in a garage and charging....DID you consult any dealer yet?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yeah highly likely this could be happening...I noticed ttoday that my car though the charging has stopped , it will restart after few minutes. which could be when battery temperature dropped down and I think i never noticed this issue when under the roof in a garage and charging....DID you consult any dealer yet?
No, mine is working just fine. The charging completes normally, even inside my garage which is often over 100 degrees at this time of year.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, I have this problem (Chargepoint) at my work as well. My office recently installed a bunch of new chargers (dual-port non-shared 5.8kW), but pretty much all of them fail in the same way as pacificamezh & cisgoog's issue, and I get chargefault indications in the Uconnect app.
What's interesting is the older/existing Chargpoint stations have no issue. The older ones operate in shared mode, so when both ports are in use, it's only 3kW, and if single port in use charges at 5.8kW. I think there is a problem with new batch of Chargepoint chargers (or interoperatiblity problem with Pacifica).. Like you, I also see bunch of Leafs, Tesla, Bolts that seem to charge without problem. I've reported problem to Chargepoint many times already but I don't think they give a sh8t since many other cars seem to be fine.
As a workaround, I've also used the Uconnect app to restart the charge, but it fails again within a few minutes, so it's not a good solution and I gave up on it.

I''ve started reporting the problem to the dealership service as well, and also hoping that @ChryslerCares can maybe help us look into this as well if this is a common problem across all Pacfiica's.

Thx
Tony.

·
Registered
12 Posts
+1 for some ChargePoints at my work causing the same grief as mentioned above. Notifications are something like "noticing very low charge rate", "error, stopping charging". Not verbatim, but I only get those notifications on some of the chargers at work. I've used others and had good luck and am pretty sure others using the one that are incompatible w/ my PacHy, such as Tesla's, Leaf's, and PHEV Prius' are fine. I do think it's something finicky with the Pacifica but thankfully my L2 EVSE at home (Siemens) works fine.

·
Registered
285 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2019 PacHy also exhibits this problem. My power waveforms look similar, both in shared (3.7kw) and solo (6.8kw) modes. Although, in solo mode, the car is usually able to restart the communication. In shared mode, it frequently stops until I intervene. I attempted to use "contact us" on the Chrysler page, to no avail. Any one heard anything back? @ChryslerCares, are you there?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Guys,

I have the same issue, whether charging at work (using charge point) or charging at home.
  • I have 2019 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Mini Van
Issue: I plugged the charger to my car, and it shows charging, and after a while, it'll stop charging and my dashboard will just be in black screen. I re-pluged the charger, and it'll stop charging after awhile, and this issue can repeat many times. However, this issue doesn't happen all the time is intermittence, may be around 40% chance happen.

Investigation: I have asked other car owner who use EV charging at work, and none of them have this issue with their car charging at work. and no body ever complain or bring this up in the work forum for EV charging. I'm sure if it happened for other car owners, this complain will be everywhere on the work forum. I'm very sure is my car's issue.

Questions:
  • is there any resolution to this?
  • would dealer able to do anything about this?
  • is this cover under the warranty?
Thank You of your help.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey Guys,

I have the same issue, whether charging at work (using charge point) or charging at home.
  • I have 2019 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Mini Van
Issue: I plugged the charger to my car, and it shows charging, and after a while, it'll stop charging and my dashboard will just be in black screen. I re-pluged the charger, and it'll stop charging after awhile, and this issue can repeat many times. However, this issue doesn't happen all the time is intermittence, may be around 40% chance happen.

Investigation: I have asked other car owner who use EV charging at work, and none of them have this issue with their car charging at work. and no body ever complain or bring this up in the work forum for EV charging. I'm sure if it happened for other car owners, this complain will be everywhere on the work forum. I'm very sure is my car's issue.

Questions:
  • is there any resolution to this?
  • would dealer able to do anything about this?
  • is this cover under the warranty?
Thank You of your help.
Are they both ChargePoint? If so, there seems to be a trend like this with Pacificas and ChargePoint chargers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm experiencing issues with charging though the number of Chargepoint Level2 stations at work. We have a waitlist system that assign station randomly, so I don't have enough stats to blame a specific station. I would say during a month of charging I had 50% of successful sessions where charging graph would go to 5.9kw level and stay there during ~2hour period without any interruptions until battery is fully charged.

The rest of the sessions either start normally and after a while experience interruption or begin with some kind of issues right away. In both cases it eventually stop charging. When I come to the car to check I see no error message - it simply sitting there with black screen. When I press start button it shows green plugged-in indicator, but it looks like Chargepoint station is not dispensing electricity anymore and there is no charging happening. After I unplug and reactivate Chargepoint (starting new session essentially) it would continue to charge normally. Until another failure.

I contacted Chargepoint support and they are investigating. But it looks like Pacifica's specific problem because we have bunch of Teslas and Leafs here that seems to have no issues like this. Could it be that they are handling 6.6kw limit enforced by Chargepoint more intelligently?
Anybody else here with similar issues? Should I contact Chrysler?

I'm still using 120V charger at home, so I can't cross check the issue there. I didn't experience any problems on other public Level2 stations, but I only had few sessions so far.

Both successful and unsuccessful charging graphs attached.

Thank you!
Some of these stations are crap and not well maintained. Also check the plug prongs for corrosion. That will make a world of differences if you see some a few wipes of emery cloth will help.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Some of these stations are crap and not well maintained. Also check the plug prongs for corrosion. That will make a world of differences if you see some a few wipes of emery cloth will help.
It is always good to check the plug of any public charger before plugging in as some people will put crap in the ports to be malicious and damage your vehicle's charge port.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I find the Pacifica is sensitive if you don’t have a good ground, though other car manufacturer, it works fine on the same station.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts