2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When bargaining with a dealer, is 10% off MSRP (before Chrysler deals) too much to ask?

Interested in a 2021 Pacifica Touring FWD with a bunch of options that bring the MSRP to approx. $40,000 (includes the $1500 destination charge).
I am asking for $36,000.
Then there are the Chrysler discounts of $4000, so $32,000 + tax.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't have direct experience with 2021 models, but typically targeting a % is not an appropriate way to tackle it, since you're probably being unreasonable on lower model vehicles and leaving money on the table at higher end vehicles.

Your negotiation room is essentially invoice + holdback + chrysler incentives (which are free discounts as far as the dealer is concerned). Attempting to negotiate below that would be eating into your dealers volume incentives, which is bonus money they get for pushing certain amounts of cars each month. Dealers really won't let you eat into that, since that pays salaries and keeps the lights on.

For 2021 Touring it looks like invoice is about $1000 below MSRP right now (probably closer to $1400 for your options) and holdback is probably $1000-1500 below that.

So for your $40k MSRP vehicle, your dealer is probably eating into their volume kickbacks for anything below $37k before Chrysler incentives and may laugh at you.

That said, there are alternative discounts, such as Dealer Coupons. When we ordered our 2018 Touring L Plus in Sept 2017 (received Nov 2017... so launch vehicle), we got the dealer to toss in dealer coupons, which are coupons given to the dealer by Chryser (money comes from Chrysler) specifically set to close sales.

In short, negotiation is complex, there's no right or wrong answer. Either party can walk away from the table at any time.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Also, keep in mind if you are custom ordering a car, Chrysler Incentives cannot be locked in and whatever is available.

When custom ordering, negotiate on the price without incentives and make that clear to the dealer. Demand that you get to keep whatever incentives are available.

Keep in mind when custom ordering, dealers only get a certain amount of order slots. When you order you are robbing them of inventory, so you really do give up a lot of power in negotiation when you custom order.

When we got our 2018 there weren't many incentives running at the time so our price was about $4500 below MSRP after the discounts, dealer coupons, and the $1000 in Chrysler incentives I scrounged up. The breakdown is basically we got the vehicle for MSRP minus invoice, the dealer threw in coupons to bring it down to basically holdback price without affecting their bottom line. Then I brought in two Chrysler incentives ($500 TrueCar and $500 e-mailed incentive).

Dealer coupons are rare to get, but when I was e-mailing dealers they threw that in willingly. It was a small town (like 10,000 people) dealership about 60 miles away in the countryside.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For 2021 Touring it looks like invoice is about $1000 below MSRP right now (probably closer to $1400 for your options) and holdback is probably $1000-1500 below that.
Thanks!
So for $40,000 MSRP (includes $1500 destination) Touring (2021) the best I can hope for (before Chrysler incentives) is $37,500-$38,000, but more likely $38,000-$38,500?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yeah, $37,000 + Chrysler Incentives is probably best you can hope for.

$38,000 + Incentives is probably a "good deal" for custom order.

BTW.... you probably don't need to specify destination. Federal Law was amended a few years back that MSRP must include destination charges. Any price figure a dealer quotes must include that and they can't divide it out.

If your dealer is somehow quoting you a shipping and handling fee separately run away. That's included in the MSRP on the window sticker.

If you're custom ordering, cast a wide net and e-mail multiple dealerships.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When bargaining with a dealer, is 10% off MSRP (before Chrysler deals) too much to ask?

Interested in a 2021 Pacifica Touring FWD with a bunch of options that bring the MSRP to approx. $40,000 (includes the $1500 destination charge).
I am asking for $36,000.
Then there are the Chrysler discounts of $4000, so $32,000 + tax.
My friend for for $7000 under MSRP with $4000 Chrysler rebates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Interesting because in Canada if programs change you can get the better program . So if I ordered in oct and they had 1 grand off but if vehicle is delivered in nov and it goes to 2 grand I get the better program .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My friend for for $7000 under MSRP with $4000 Chrysler rebates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was this perhaps for Limited or Touring L? Perhaps AWD version?
I assume $7000 includes the rebates, so $3000 off before them?
Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
No. I got the following deal done today .. for me more than 10%

2021 Hybrid limited $45,845
U connect family package $2,495
S appearance pack $795
Premium and safety sphere pack $1595
Destination charge $1495
MSRP $52,225
  • Dealer discount $2k (negotiated at dealership)
  • Retail cash bonus $2k (expires 4th Jan)
  • True Car $500 (expires 4th Jan)
  • California Clean Fuel $1500 (at POS only)
Total: $46225 plus sales tax and fees
+ 0% finance 60 months
Buying before year end helped them (annual quota) and me (tax)
+$7500 federal rebate 2020 taxes
Net: $38,725 plus the sales tax and fees paid above.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If your dealer is somehow quoting you a shipping and handling fee separately run away. That's included in the MSRP on the window sticker.
Common tactic, make sure that the dealer knows that you know destination is included in MSRP. I have many times found when I backed into the numbers say on a lease that they were double charging me destination.

Jonnybegood said:

S appearance pack $795
Destination charge $1495
MSRP $52,225
+ 0% finance 60 months
You got more than 10% because if the CA Clean Fuel rebate, if someone isn't in CA they wont get that, so taking that out your deal was $4k, $4,500 off because of the TrueCar, so at or less than 10% off.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
820 Posts
Interesting because in Canada if programs change you can get the better program . So if I ordered in oct and they had 1 grand off but if vehicle is delivered in nov and it goes to 2 grand I get the better program .
But what if it goes from 2k to 1k? You only get the 1K. So this confirms that you get the promos at time of delivery.

·
Registered
272 Posts

S appearance pack $795
Destination charge $1495
MSRP $52,225
+ 0% finance 60 months
The 10% for your deal includes Chrysler Incentives and the Tax Credit.

OP was asking about 10% BEFORE incentives.... your deal was only 4% off before incentives.

Pretty much 100% in line with what I mentioned. Negotiation room is Invoice ($1000-1500) and Holdback ($1000-1500). Chrysler Incentives are free money to the dealer, they don't get it if they don't give it to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 10% for your deal includes Chrysler Incentives and the Tax Credit.

OP was asking about 10% BEFORE incentives.... your deal was only 4% off before incentives.

Pretty much 100% in line with what I mentioned. Negotiation room is Invoice ($1000-1500) and Holdback ($1000-1500). Chrysler Incentives are free money to the dealer, they don't get it if they don't give it to you.
math dude $4500 discount with 0% finance without $7500 tax rebate or fuel rebate $1500 - that’s like 9% or 10% depending on how you value 0% finance

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
math dude $4500 discount with 0% finance without $7500 tax rebate or fuel rebate $1500 - that’s like 9% or 10% depending on how you value 0% finance
You only got a $2,000 dealer discount, which is 4.6%. The OP was asking about a 10% discount BEFORE rebates. You got another $2,000 Chrysler Rebate and a $500 TrueCar rebate to make your discount $4,500. Those are incentives and don't come off the dealers bottom line.

So...."math dude" lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also, keep in mind if you are custom ordering a car, Chrysler Incentives cannot be locked in and whatever is available.

When custom ordering, negotiate on the price without incentives and make that clear to the dealer. Demand that you get to keep whatever incentives are available.

Keep in mind when custom ordering, dealers only get a certain amount of order slots. When you order you are robbing them of inventory, so you really do give up a lot of power in negotiation when you custom order.

When we got our 2018 there weren't many incentives running at the time so our price was about $4500 below MSRP after the discounts, dealer coupons, and the $1000 in Chrysler incentives I scrounged up. The breakdown is basically we got the vehicle for MSRP minus invoice, the dealer threw in coupons to bring it down to basically holdback price without affecting their bottom line. Then I brought in two Chrysler incentives ($500 TrueCar and $500 e-mailed incentive).

Dealer coupons are rare to get, but when I was e-mailing dealers they threw that in willingly. It was a small town (like 10,000 people) dealership about 60 miles away in the countryside.
^ This has been my experience when deal shopping in SoCal for a 2021 ICE Touring L special order. Best offers were like $2700 under MSRP for a car with a MSRP of $43730(and a $1267 holdback), plus all incentives available at delivery.

I don't think that's too bad for a special order.. especially with only a $500 fully refundable deposit required. Just wish there was one on the lot before 1/04 so I could take advantage of $4000 FCA rebates + $1500.00 personal code incentive

·
Registered
2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited with Safety Sphere option.
29 Posts
We just picked up a 2021 pachy limited with the safety sphere option included for $44.5k OTD price, used up my affiliate discount as a FCA supplier and the True Car discount. The price of $44.5K included Tax and Title. How did we do? Not sure if we could have done better as there are only a couple of 2021's on dealer lots and only two of the five dealers were willing to negotiate on the 2021's.

·
Registered
431 Posts
We just picked up a 2021 pachy limited with the safety sphere option included for $44.5k OTD price, used up my affiliate discount as a FCA supplier and the True Car discount. The price of $44.5K included Tax and Title. How did we do? Not sure if we could have done better as there are only a couple of 2021's on dealer lots and only two of the five dealers were willing to negotiate on the 2021's.
When listing price, it's best to list the MSRP, dealer discount, all rebates and incentives, and total before TTL. Everyone's TTL will be different so it's hard to compare. So what were your numbers?

·
Registered
2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited with Safety Sphere option.
29 Posts
$49835 MSRP for 2021 Pachy Limited with Safety Sphere option.
Price after negotiations was $41500 with standard $4000 Chrysler Rebate, $3835 dealer discount plus affiliate discount and $500 true car rebate that totals up to a discount of $4335.
Plus TT&L $2750
Plus Document fee $150
Plus License Fee $200
Final OTD price $44500.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts