2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the market for a minivan - two kids, love to camp, etc. Longtime Honda/Toyota driver but willing to make the jump to the Pacifica for the hybrid.

Agonizing over trim levels. Moving from a 1998 Honda Civic, so new vehicles are like spaceships for me. I've gone so long without (I had manual windows, etc) I don't know whether the new stuff is something I should enjoy as modern day joys or stuff I could still do without.

Question is Limited vs. Touring. The only reason I would want to go Limited is for the advanced safety features, esp the ACC. It sounds pretty cool, useful on a long interstate road trip. Entertainment, eh, we use iPads and a nice sound system is a want not a need. Leather I could take it or leave it. I've done the drive from SF to LA many times and it's always been an absorbing 5-6 hr drive, nonstop assessments, accelerating to pass this vehicle, pulling to the slow lane to let that hot-to-trot car pass you, adjusting to fit at a certain speed until you close the distance to the next too-slow vehicle, etc. I never thought it was something annoying, it was just part of driving.

Would ACC mean anything to a driver like me? We go on road trips maybe 3-4 times a year...so maybe we wouldn't be using it that often. As for using it for stop and go traffic, I think my control issues will never let me fully trust it will stop correctly and I'd be constantly overriding it with my brakes. But anyone who's moved from mostly manual to mostly electronic must have gone through all of this, so let me know your thoughts.

It's a 5K difference, looking at the online prices between Touring and Limited (more discounts generally for Touring). Of course I don't know what the real difference would be, but that's a big one for a rough estimate.

What about the other safety options? I don't think I ever drift lanes unintentionally, though if the Lane Departure can catch me drifting when lane markings are hard for my eyes to read (faded marking or rainy days) that would actually be a help. Rear Cross Path sounds great too, but 5K great?

Has anyone ever regretted getting the higher trim?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
In the market for a minivan - two kids, love to camp, etc. Longtime Honda/Toyota driver but willing to make the jump to the Pacifica for the hybrid.

Agonizing over trim levels. Moving from a 1998 Honda Civic, so new vehicles are like spaceships for me. I've gone so long without (I had manual windows, etc) I don't know whether the new stuff is something I should enjoy as modern day joys or stuff I could still do without.

Question is Limited vs. Touring. The only reason I would want to go Limited is for the advanced safety features, esp the ACC. It sounds pretty cool, useful on a long interstate road trip. Entertainment, eh, we use iPads and a nice sound system is a want not a need. Leather I could take it or leave it. I've done the drive from SF to LA many times and it's always been an absorbing 5-6 hr drive, nonstop assessments, accelerating to pass this vehicle, pulling to the slow lane to let that hot-to-trot car pass you, adjusting to fit at a certain speed until you close the distance to the next too-slow vehicle, etc. I never thought it was something annoying, it was just part of driving.

Would ACC mean anything to a driver like me? We go on road trips maybe 3-4 times a year...so maybe we wouldn't be using it that often. As for using it for stop and go traffic, I think my control issues will never let me fully trust it will stop correctly and I'd be constantly overriding it with my brakes. But anyone who's moved from mostly manual to mostly electronic must have gone through all of this, so let me know your thoughts.

It's a 5K difference, looking at the online prices between Touring and Limited (more discounts generally for Touring). Of course I don't know what the real difference would be, but that's a big one for a rough estimate.

What about the other safety options? I don't think I ever drift lanes unintentionally, though if the Lane Departure can catch me drifting when lane markings are hard for my eyes to read (faded marking or rainy days) that would actually be a help. Rear Cross Path sounds great too, but 5K great?

I don't have ACC or a hybrid, so I'm not sure I'll be much help. Here is a recent thread about someone using ACC and having an accident which may shed some light on the pitfall of relying on it and others comments related to ACC. I've also read about others who seem to like the ACC. If you use the forum search feature you may find more stories about the benefits of ACC. Only you can decide if it is worth the extra cost. It looks like the ACC package is optional on the hybrid limited, which means possibly an additional $1000 beyond the starting price difference.

https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/433-2017-chrysler-pacifica-phev-hybrid-general-discussion/40911-acc-leading-rear-end-accident.html?nojs=1#goto_threadtools

If you want a roof rack already installed, then you may want to keep that in mind when you are looking since a Touring doesn't usually have a roof rack included. However, some on the forum have bought a mopar roof rack (holes are predrilled in van covered by rubber strips) and installed it themselves.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Get the touring. Save the $, it's enough of a spaceship, you still have to drive it, and it drives well.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I opted for the Touring L nine months ago. Wasn't thrilled with the leather seating but, at the time, that was the only way to get the Advanced Safety. I felt it was a must have having seen it in a friend's. Accura that I drove. I find the other safety features of this van compared to my previous 2005 T&C such as lane keeping, backup assist and blind spot monitor also worth the money.

The van has 10000 miles including two 1000 mile trips. My usage is for utility not utmost in luxury. I use it to haul bikes, occasionally building materials and big things for my son who is not a van convert yet. Our other two kids have seen the light and bought vans.

Stow and Go is the biggest win for me. In fact, since the kids are grown, the seats are stowed most of the time.

I particularly like the ACC which I use ONLY on the interstate in free flowing traffic. It is one step above the regular cruise control in convenience. I like the way it tracks the vehicle in front of me and locks me into the flow of traffic. No more setting and resetting of the cruise. It is cool to see it stop the van BUT that was done as a test for curiosity not for regular usage.

Once I got used to it, I did not regret getting it. I have no idea how it affected my insurance cost though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just bought a Limited with the Advanced Safety Tec and have never owned a car with more than a backup camera.

I don’t trust the active cruise but it is great in traffic. Use it to assist your driving and it will reduce fatigue while adding a layer of safety. With people being distracted I find they hit the brakes much later than in the past. The active cruise and automatic braking will at least help in that case.

The lane departure is also nice to have but only works well on the highway of course. It’s not intrusive but it does keep you in the lanes.

The 360 camera is an awesome feature. A co-worker accidentally backed over his toddler son and killed him. Thinking about how careful my co-worker is I really see the value of a 360 camera in any vehicle but especially one that can be hard to see out of.

Minivans are generally driven by people prone to distraction because of the passengers. Little kids are always doing crazy things or screaming. Big kids block the view out of the vehicle.

I’m happy we have the safetytec and wouldn’t have bought the van without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
385 Posts
How long do you own your vehicles for? Is there a chance your kids may be driving it?

For a person who buys and holds a car for ten years, the costs aren’t as high when looked at on a yearly basis. I’ve had my current van for 10 years, and I expect the next to last as long or longer.

Who else drives it or might drive it? What kind of drivers are they?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don't think ACC would be worth $5k in your case. Some safety features that comes with the Hybrid Touring Plus is Blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert and braking. I would get the power liftgate option. Try to buy a one that hasn't sat long on the lot or you might have some issues with the 12V battery. Buy before January 1st so you can get the credit in 2019. If you buy in 2019 you'll have to wait til 2020 to get the tax credit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, all, for input.

I plan to drive my vehicles into the ground. My first and pretty much only car was the 98 Honda Civic, 20 years, 316K miles, died recently and since then, started driving husband's Prius 2008, has 150K, will probably replace the hybrid battery, and get another 10 years out of it. So, does look like Limited over 10+ years (hoping it lasts that long without too many problems) might be cost-effective.

Price ranges on-line compared to safety:
Touring Plus 36-38K: basic safety trac (rear camera, etc)
Touring L 40-43K: Blind Spot Monitoring, Rear Cross Path
Limited: 43-47K: FCW, ACC, 360 camera

I might get at least the Touring L, as I suspect I would need some assistance with such a large vehicle, after driving a small vehicle for so long.

I'm a bit afraid all the bells and whistles will...startle and annoy me. Whenever I hear a siren I momentarily freeze up and have massive adrenaline rush and don't necessarily act calmly...don't know if alarms will actually help or harm me. Also, in the last 2 years of Honda Civic ownership, some electronic parts started to go bad and couldn't be fixed - the alarm that warned you that the headlights were still on or the keys still in ignition stopped working, and after 18 years of being trained by the sound, the next 2 years I kept getting locked out or draining my battery leaving the lights on (until I hid an extra key in a magnetic box and bought a portable charger). So there is the concern of becoming reliant on short-lived electronics. The more options installed, more stuff to fail/deal with? I see the thread where the ACC failed...has the other Advanced Safety features had any issues?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around no spare tire and no easy shift to neutral when car stalls. So this shift to electronic seems pretty huge.

Kids are 7 and 2, there's a chance the older might be driving it in 9 years. I might lend the car out to my siblings, who are responsible family types, for road trips.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
You should get the car with Advanced Safety tech. Its has very useful for me even though I like to do all driving myself. Its takes the monotonous stuff out of driving and acts as a secondary check just in case you are not paying attention. It’s only $1K (not 5K) as far as I’m aware. And both Limited and TL+ can be had with or without the AST package (unless it has changed recently). Your question of limited vs TL+ is totally different and not related to AST.
Limited gets different feature set such as Napa leather power folding 3rd row, upgraded steering wheel, memory seats, (?HID headlights) etc. I’m not completely sure about the Pachy but for gas version these apply.
Unless you want all the looks and luxury features, the TL plus with AST is a great car ( and the best part is the rear entertainment is standard on TL+ but only an upgrade option on Limited).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know if it has changed recently or is just this way for Hybrids, but looking at a 150 mile (max for the Chrysler website new inventory search) radius from San Francisco, only Limiteds (Hybrids) have AST.

Otherwise I would totally get just the TL with AST!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I moved up from a 2001 vehicle and to me the Touring L's features seem like a space ship compared to vehicles I've owned in the past. I've never even owned a vehicle with a backup camera. I think the blind spot monitoring, cross path detection and backup camera are all extremely useful when driving a van. I think the next package up with the ACC, FCW and 360 degree cameras would be cool, but probably overkill for what I'd need. My opinion may change by the time I upgrade to my next vehicle, but that will likely be some time from now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The way I look at it is how often most people buy a car in their lifespan? I hate that feeling wishing I had a feature after I bought the car. I always buy all the options because of it. Plus 5k over the life of the loan really isn’t much. But that’s just me.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The gas and the hybrid trims don't offer the same features trim level by trim level. The only way to get the AST on the hybrid is to get a Limited.

I'll likely purchase a '19 or '20 next year--looking forward to seeing what the '20 refresh might have. I'll hold on to it for a decade. My experience with my 2008 Touring is that none of the electronics have failed, which still surprises me. It's got a ton of do-dads that I expected to fail at some point, so I purchased a lifetime bumper-to-bumper warranty. The warranty wasn't much, but so far all its covered is a couple of pieces of interior trim replacement. Everything else I've had done was covered under the lifetime powertrain warranty.

This next time around, I'll skip any additional warranties while self-insuring with money set aside each month. That'll likely bite me in the rear.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I got a fully loaded 2018 for $43,100 from Huntington Beach. So if you want all the bells and whisles, shop around to those high volume dealers that offer crazy discounts.

As far as whether to get it, I recommend it. On a 3400 mile road trip, I used the ACC quite a bit. I use the 360 surround camera all the time for parking (and I'm a pretty good parker). Also, the feature to auto parallel and perpendicular park works really well actually. I also really like the ultrasonic sensors in the back detecting a car coming at you when coming out of your driveway. It's pretty accurate. Lane assist is ok, I do keep it on but I don't have it turned up too high. Don't rely on it, it's just a nudge. And it will nudge you in the wrong times as much as the right times, in my experience. It also only works above like 37 mph or something.

One thing you will probably experience when you first get it is being overwhelmed by all the things in it. I was coming from a Tesla Model 3 (van was for my wife), so it's super simple inside. In the PacHy it's a ton of stuff everywhere, so I was getting overwhelmed myself. But give it time, you will get used to it. It's a great van.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The stereo is much better on the Limited as

well as the U connect functions.
If you are a Geek and like Gizmo's its much more
that just the ACC

And the advanced safety Tech is 1k add on last time I looked.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I don't know if it has changed recently or is just this way for Hybrids, but looking at a 150 mile (max for the Chrysler website new inventory search) radius from San Francisco, only Limiteds (Hybrids) have AST.

Otherwise I would totally get just the TL with AST!

Try to configure one on the Chrysler website and see if it works to your preferred specs and price. Also try some volume dealerships in your area or countrywide. Then you’ll know where you stand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AST is an option ONLY for Limited Hybrids. The Detailed Specs say so. The UsNews review website says so. There is no way to configure one on the Chrysler website. That said, I googled Touring L Hybrid with Advanced Safety just in case it had been available in the past and there was a legacy one floating around (kind of like a Copper Pearlcoat) and came up with nothing. Maybe there's a 2017 version, but that wouldn't qualify for the federal tax credit.

But I did find a Copper Pearlcoat Limited Hybrid with 4500 miles in Boston for 38K. Hmm! Just the color that I would love and my husband would hate. Lucky for him it's across the country.

·
Registered
372 Posts

My last car was a 2001 Civic so kudos - the acc in of itself is enough reason for me to get the package, if you plan on road trips it will make it so much more pleasant as a driver. The lane departure works - it’s nice for me if I need to look or reach back to the back and have me eyes off the road, I’ve never depended on it(except for testing it lol) but it’s kind of a second pair of eyes. I have a limited Non-hybrid so can’t speak on the hybrid but hybrids seem to be plagued with more problems from the posts I’ve seen here.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts