2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we start our 2019 Pacifica using the remote start on the key fob, the air condition doesn’t blow cool air until the door is opened by the person with the key fob. The main reason for the remote start is to have the van in a comfortable temperature before we get in. Has anybody else experienced this too?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine runs the AC just fine. Its a 2019 Touring L with 400 mi and nice and cook when we get in it after a remote start.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
When we start our 2019 Pacifica using the remote start on the key fob, the air condition doesn’t blow cool air until the door is opened by the person with the key fob. The main reason for the remote start is to have the van in a comfortable temperature before we get in. Has anybody else experienced this too?
This function only works when the outside temperature is above 80F.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think what you’re describing is a design flaw in the Pacifica. When you remote start it with the AC set to auto, it blows cold air out of the front only. The rear vents do not. You’ll notice that when you open the sliding doors first that the back vents are not blowing cold air. In order to make the back vents blow cold air while the remote start is activated, you need to either open the drivers door (upon doing that you will notice that causes the “Auto” light to illuminate on the button where the AC controls are), or you can reach in through the center console area and physically push the Auto button on the AC controls which causes the rear zone to start blowing cold air. Our 2018 Limited has been like this since day 1.

Those of you who say yours works, can you test out the sequence I just described and see if yours behaves differently than mine?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I think what you’re describing is a design flaw in the Pacifica. When you remote start it with the AC set to auto, it blows cold air out of the front only. The rear vents do not. You’ll notice that when you open the sliding doors first that the back vents are not blowing cold air. In order to make the back vents blow cold air while the remote start is activated, you need to either open the drivers door (upon doing that you will notice that causes the “Auto” light to illuminate on the button where the AC controls are), or you can reach in through the center console area and physically push the Auto button on the AC controls which causes the rear zone to start blowing cold air. Our 2018 Limited has been like this since day 1.

Those of you who say yours works, can you test out the sequence I just described and see if yours behaves differently than mine?
I don't think it's a design flaw. It's probably intentional, to lighten the load during idle cooling. That would make sense to an engineer, but not to a harried mom with crumb droppers to load in the rear. :wink2:

·
Registered
591 Posts
I don't think it's a design flaw. It's probably intentional, to lighten the load during idle cooling. That would make sense to an engineer, but not to a harried mom with crumb droppers to load in the rear. :wink2:
At a minimum it should kick on as soon as you open up the sliding door. My kids are always complaining it’s too hot as I’m trying to load them in the back. You ever notice how engineers never seem to use the products they work on?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Is the op saying even the front isn’t blowing cold air with the remote start? Or just in the back like I described?

·
Registered
57 Posts
From the Manual

REMOTE STARTING SYSTEM — IF EQUIPPED
This system uses the key fob to start the engine
conveniently from outside the vehicle while still
maintaining security. The system has a range of
328 ft (100 m).

Remote Start Comfort Systems — If Equipped
When Remote Start is activated, the Climate Control,
vented seats (if equipped) are also activated in temperatures
above 80° F (26.7° C), and the optional heated seats,
and optional heated steering wheel in temperatures below
40° F (4.4° C). These features will stay on through the
duration of Remote Start or until the ignition switch is
cycled to the ON/RUN position.

With remote start, the engine will only run for 15
minutes (timeout) unless the ignition key is placed in the
ON/RUN position.
• The vehicle must be started with the key after two
consecutive timeouts.
All of the following conditions must be met before the
engine will remote start:
• Gear Selector in PARK
• Doors closed
• Hood closed
• Liftgate closed
• Hazard switch off
• Brake switch inactive (brake pedal not pushed)
• Battery at an acceptable charge level
• PANIC button not pushed
• System not disabled from previous remote start event
• Vehicle alarm system indicator flashing
• Ignition in STOP/OFF position
• Fuel level meets minimum requirement
WARNING!
• Do not start or run an engine in a closed garage or
confined area. Exhaust gas contains Carbon Monoxide
(CO) which is odorless and colorless. Carbon
Monoxide is poisonous and can cause serious injury
or death when inhaled.
• Keep key fobs away from children. Operation of the
Remote Start System, windows, door locks or other
controls could cause serious injury or death.
Remote Start Cancel Message — If Equipped
The following messages will display in the instrument
cluster if the vehicle fails to remote start or exits remote
start prematurely:
• Remote Start Cancelled — Door Open
• Remote Start Cancelled — Hood Open
• Remote Start Cancelled — Fuel Low
• Remote Start Cancelled — Liftgate Open
• Remote Start Cancelled — Too Cold
• Remote Start Cancelled — Time Expired
• Remote Start Disabled — Start Vehicle To Reset

Mine seems to go on in a semi on condition and does not fully work until I push the start button.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ours does the same. Not ideal. The first thing I do after autostart is open the driver door (to get all the AC blowing) and press the ignition push button (to get the Uconnect theatre booting up) so I can select and cue to the approx location we left off on my kids movies from the usb stick.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is the op saying even the front isn’t blowing cold air with the remote start? Or just in the back like I described?
With my Pacifica, I can hear air blowing from the front but it's not cool at all. There's no air blowing in the back.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I saw this and keep forgetting we have this feature. We live in the Phoenix area and remote cooling would be a blessing, and it works. I started the van with the remote fob and sure enough, got cool air blowing in the front by the time we got it. Now if I could only remember to do this all the time. As for air in the back, don't know and don't really car since we rarely have anything but groceries back there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ours does the same. Not ideal. The first thing I do after autostart is open the driver door (to get all the AC blowing) and press the ignition push button (to get the Uconnect theatre booting up) so I can select and cue to the approx location we left off on my kids movies from the usb stick.
That pretty much defeats the purpose of having the remote start, in my opinion. We also have to open the driver's door to get the heater or AC going. I would think there has to be a fix for this, but maybe this is the way it was designed.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
That pretty much defeats the purpose of having the remote start, in my opinion. We also have to open the driver's door to get the heater or AC going. I would think there has to be a fix for this, but maybe this is the way it was designed.
Have you asked the dealer about the problem? Maybe it can get fixed under warranty.
If you want to try something at home here are a couple posts to read. Let us know if anything helps. (Might have to be max hot in winter. I don't usually remote start my van so I haven't tried these things.)
threads

1 - 18 of 18 Posts