2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
416 Posts
The PacHy is nice, but don't forget that you lose the Sto 'n Go feature because of the large battery underneath. That was a show stopper for us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2017 Pacifica and have owned 4 odyssey’s and a Hyundai Entourage Limited. My wife has a 2018 Honda Odyssey Elite. The Pacifica is so much quieter and smoother to drive. Back when I purchased I tried it and fell in love with it. I feel the safety features including back up stopping assist and lane assist as well as adaptive cruise control are better than the odyssey. And I love the odyssey

·
Registered
23 Posts
Overall please with my 2017 Pacifica

Hello Nicole,
I lease a 2017 Pacifica Limited (non-hybrid) with the pano sunroof and U-Connect Theater (headrest video screens). Prior to this I had leased a 2015 Honda Pilot, and in fact had leased 6 consecutive Honda/Acura vehicles.
Even though my intention was to lease another Pilot, I always test nearly every vehicle that fits my needs to compare.
So why did I get the Pacifica this time?
First, my sister was visiting a few months before and they rented the loaded Pacifica and loved it, and they at the time owned both an Infiniti and Audi SUVs. I also got chance to drive it and was also impressed.
Secondly, I just got a better deal on the Pacifica compared to a Honda Pilot. But what really sold me even above the Honda Odyssey was the stow away seats in the second row. Who wants to lug out 50-pound seats and store them in the garage every time you need to haul something? And believe me, this feature has proved itself over and over again for me. As an example,my wife one day asked me to come by her classroom after my work to help her bring home a huge file cabinet - no problem and no going home first to take out the seats.

Also, I still wanted that rear seat entertainment system for my daughter who was 11 at the time and many SUVs no longer offer that option. Next time around she’ll be about 14 and that won’t be as important.

Overall I’ve been pleased. The fit and finish of the interior is Honda quality and do is the ride. But I do have to admit in the back of my mind I often think “this is a Chrysler, not a Honda” so my expectations are not as high. Maybe that’s not fair.The gas mileage sucks, I get about 17 in town (I commute only about 9 miles on surface streets to work) and on a long freeway run maybe about 23.

There have been 3 recalls in the 14 months I’ve had it. All minor and really fixed via software updates and nine effecting me personally (one was a possible stalling issue, another was cruise control not disengaging correctly and the other I forget). Another issue was the third row power seat on one side got stuck when I went to fold it down. There was no way I could fold it manually so I had to take it in to my dealer, again it was a software fix! It also sometimes has a hard shift from 1st to 2nd.

Finally keeping mind I lease! So I am not not stuck with a a Chrysler that loses its value over the years far more than a Honda. After 3 years more or less I hand in the keys. I also have had a very good dealer experience in my area (Tuttle Click Chrysler in Irvine, Ca) and I think that is very important.

My suggestion, test drive everything that may fit your needs and compare the deals you are offered. I don’t know how you are able to get a Certified Used 2018 unless it was part of a rental fleet (or early turn in on a lease) but I would ask about that and get the story.

But again, overall I’ve been pleased =. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
That's a great summary, yes, I would like a little more function and features. We have toyed with getting a minivan for the past decade, since my daughter was born, and opted for the 3rd row SUV instead. The Pacifica is one of the first minivans that I could imagine driving based on the interior and exterior. I am in Atlanta so rather large City with lots of dealers to choose from. I keep seeing limited models show up, mostly from rental use, in the 16 to 20k mile range for between $33k to $35k. If anyone has experience with purchasing a previous rental, that would be great, advice, good or bad. Looking for red, black interior, limited edition for the sunroof, DVD and nicer wheels. How does a new car compared to this?
Here is a new car for your quoted price of 35K. It's Touring L plus, got most of the stuff you wanted and its brand new 2019 model. You might have to ship it to your home or travel to Ohio to get it.
https://www.fallsmotorcity.com/new/...akron-oh-f3ff54c90a0e0ae9744ea1ff333b9534.htm
Forget about buying used rental minivans for that price.
The only feature "missing" is advanced safety tech (adaptive cruise control, surround cameras, etc; which is a biggie for me). If you want that feature then keep looking, that option is only 1K more.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Here is another new one for 35K. 2019 Touring L plus.
This one has advanced safety tech, tripane moonroof and regular entertainment package (not HK).
It has everything you wanted, at the price you are going to pay for the used rental car.
The wheels are 18" (not 20") nevertheless they are the upgraded ""black noise" wheels.
https://www.fallsmotorcity.com/new/...akron-oh-595fdadb0a0e0ae93e2700913139b8ff.htm
This is your car ...go for it. Best value I've found so far.
Limited model gains very few features compared to Touring L plus; such as HID headlights, seating presets, optional vacuum cleaner, power folding 3rd row seat, etc
Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got mine on the last day in August. I wasn't planning to get it then, but when I looked at inventory that week, the 2019s were out already so I figured I could get a great deal on a 2018 and have some selection or I'd have to pay more for a 2019 if I waited. I wanted the 2018 for Android Auto, otherwise I would have considered a certified 2017. But I have never used Android Auto since playing around with it the first week. I do plan to use it on long road trips, which I have not taken yet. So far I am very happy with the Pacifica. It is my first "American" vehicle and I got it because there are not many choices in the minivan category and I don't like the Sienna or Odyssey, and Kia was out of the question. It may sound odd, but I feel that my Pacifica handles better than my 2011 Acura TSX. It may be that I have the 20 inch wheel / low profile tire package. I can whip around the curves with a lot of confidence. The ride is smooth and quiet and there are a lot of luxury features (I have the Limited). One of my biggest gripes is that the HVAC system does not have a vent mode and a bunch of controls must be used through the touchscreen (heated seats for example) - I don't know if this is the same with competitors. Because I got such a great deal ($9k under MSRP), I spent $2500 on the 8yr/100k Mopar extended warranty so I that will save me if there are reliability issues. Overall I would recommend it. It is a pleasure to drive. There are probably still some new 2018s available so you should be able to get a great deal on them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I started out thinking I was looking for a preowned 2018. Then I saw the advertised prices start dropping on the leftover 2018's. I was *this close* to purchasing a Copper 2018 that had the Advanced Safety and Trailer hitch packages for $38,600. The only thing that stopped me was an Ocean Blue Limited with "S" package, AST, HK audio upgrade, UConnect Theater w/streaming, key sense, and 20" wheels for $40. (This was at another dealer.) Good luck . . . it appears to be a good time to be a buyer, at least for the new ones. I have no idea if the prices on the preowned are adjusting accordingly but it might give you greater negotiating power if you go that way.

·
Registered
209 Posts
You can definitely find deals on dealer lots, just depends how specific you are in what wants/needs. Falls has a huge inventory as folks mentioned, and some great salespeople though they didn't carry the options I was looking for in their normal stock.

You'll hear a lot of people complaining about small things on forums like these so take them with a grain of salt. Sometimes the concept of preventive maintenance is not well understood/accepted and consumers expect too much from highly complex machines with moving parts and software that requires updates. People clamor for more features, but don't fully realize that the likelihood of something to break also increases. If reliability is your #1 goal, than simply get less features - that holds true with most vehicles (and like someone pointed out, the Sienna is outdated but reliable since their setup is proven over many years - though boring if you ask me). Do I need to trickle charge my van every once in awhile? Maybe, maybe not, but you don't hear me complaining about dead batteries or other related issues either. Nor is it a burden. It may be tied to usage - if you run your vehicle on many short trips, that will wear down ANY battery as the car isn't running long enough to recharge the battery.

That's not to belittle the larger issues that do happen on occasion. Though, please keep in mind 2017 was the first model year...I take it as common knowledge that years 1-2 one should expect the occasional issue with a new model and factor that into your decision as an early adopter. I did that with my 2018, but I looked at the engine and transmission as "known quantities" that are generally off the shelf tech and well established at their core. Also, the hybrid still stands alone as no other US-market van comes close to that offering, so they are unique and forging a new path so there will be hiccups for early adopters.

As for the theater system, it is basically a living room on wheels and I'm not aware of any other manufacturer that comes close to it...that being said I haven't specifically looked for that feature among all available vehicles (if you see anything comparable I'd be interested to see it in comparison), but my friends that have ridden in the van (most have kids) claim there's nothing else like it. Any technology that's pushed will have bugs and normally they can get resolved with software updates. I feel it's more important to understand whether the manufacturer invests in updates. That being said, the theater was part of the TL+ trim so I didn't feel as though we were paying anything extra...the other features of TL+ are what we wanted and were willing to pay for over the TL so I really don't sweat it if there's a hiccup in the theater system...I didn't buy a TV, I bought a van to drive.

This is my first mopar so I'm not married to the brand, but we're a happy customer and I still feel it's the best one out there. I like how there's a diverse group of mopar followers as well as honda and toyota converts (and others like me) - it makes the forum enjoyable and interesting PoVs

·
Registered
965 Posts
Sorry, when I buy a $50,000 vehicle I want all of it to work. I don't think thats unreasonable. If you're happy "not sweating it" when features you paid for and want to have don't work like they should...thats fine but those of us who aren't aren't being unreasonable, and we don't "not understand preventative maintenance". Pray tell, what preventative maintenance would have avoided the navigation screen and entire vehicle interface from freezing and becoming inoperative on a 5 month old van with 5,000 miles on it? What preventative maintenance would have avoided the engine start stop system causing the car to stall when taking off from a light? What preventative maintenance would have kept the headphones from breaking after a month of use? What preventative maintenance would have kept the rear seat entertainment system from freezing up periodically so that its useless when my kids want to watch movies?

"Well you should encourage your kids to be like we were". BS! I bought a van with a feature that doesn't work. if I didnt want that feature, I wouldnt have bought it.

The product is crappy, at least mine is. Glad you're happy with yours but don't make excuses or blame those of us who have issues for our issues. We have issues because our products are crappy.

As for the rear seat entertainment, there is nothing special about it. You can get the same system with all the same functionality on any family vehicle from any manufacturer. Except...theirs works.

Do I need to trickle charge my van every once in awhile? Maybe, maybe not, but you don't hear me complaining about dead batteries or other related issues either. Nor is it a burden. It may be tied to usage - if you run your vehicle on many short trips, that will wear down ANY battery as the car isn't running long enough to recharge the battery.
I have never had a car that I needed to trickle charge the battery. Ever, including the Pacifica. And it gets driven on lots of short trips.

There is absolutely something wrong with your van, and most people would consider having to trickle charge their family vehicle to avoid dead batteries a burden. Mines getting ready to sit at the airport for a week out in the cold. How would I trickle charge it?!?

Its not a Ferrari, its a mainstream minivan. Making excuses for "quirks" doesn't make any sense to me. Its a tool, and when a tool doesn't work right...its just a crappy tool.

·
Registered
209 Posts
@SWPacLim - sounds like you're pretty sour on the van. would you be happier trading it in if it isn't for you? Though as we're talking honda just had a significant recall on their odyssey where the doors may open unexpectedly when driving (https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/honda-odyssey-power-sliding-door-problems-recall.shtml). Does that make their van "crappy" in your words? I would say "no", but to each their own opinion.

To be clear, I wasn't blaming anyone, just trying to keep things in perspective - vehicles are highly complex (more things=more things to break), don't forget to maintain them and realize your situation if you buy a new model year (or two) as the bugs are still being worked-out. As per the example above with honda, all manufacturers these days are rushing to bring their newest to market and are ending up with recalls as a result. Subaru is one of the more conservative/consistently safe & reliable brands IMO and their new Ascent was recalled very early due to missing welds; I think this is the new norm driven by consumerism and it needs to be recognized (not suggesting it's "right nor OK"). Like you I feel if you pay for something you want it to work, but that gets strained in the current world.

Which manufacturer has linked and embedded rear entertainment? I don't see it in the odyssey nor the brand new subaru ascent (their new 3-row) - subaru gives you ipads. Uconnect theater may not be perfect, but it's the most feature-rich out there unless someone can cite something better.

The headphones do seem like they have a flimsy battery cover, but there's a whole thread on that. my 2c is that some kids are more rough with things than others and mine haven't broken yet though I do recognize their fragility. The third party does seem to be replacing them if they break so it's not like they're refusing to help. Sure the design could have been better - there's also a headphone jack if there's an "AV emergency" and kids need to watch a movie. One would hope the third party and chrysler learned the lesson to make their battery door more robust.

I do hope you get resolution on your concerns or move on to something where you are more content

·
Registered
965 Posts
@SWPacLim - sounds like you're pretty sour on the van. would you be happier trading it in if it isn't for you? Though as we're talking honda just had a significant recall on their odyssey where the doors may open unexpectedly when driving (https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/honda-odyssey-power-sliding-door-problems-recall.shtml). Does that make their van "crappy" in your words? I would say "no", but to each their own opinion.
I would trade it in if I wouldn't take a total bath on it.

I don't have an issue with recalls that can be repaired. I have an issue with problems that eat up a ton of my time that cannot be repaired, such as issues with the freezing infotainment and the randomly nonfunctional rear seat entertainment system.

If I had an Odyssey that had problems and the dealer couldn't address them after multiple attempts then yeah, I'd think it was crappy too.

It is an enormous imposition to keep having to put this thing in the shop. Its enormously frustrating when that effort has no result. So am I a little sour on it? Yeah.

To be clear, I wasn't blaming anyone, just trying to keep things in perspective - vehicles are highly complex (more things=more things to break), don't forget to maintain them and realize your situation if you buy a new model year (or two) as the bugs are still being worked-out. As per the example above with honda, all manufacturers these days are rushing to bring their newest to market and are ending up with recalls as a result. Subaru is one of the more conservative/consistently safe & reliable brands IMO and their new Ascent was recalled very early due to missing welds; I think this is the new norm driven by consumerism and it needs to be recognized (not suggesting it's "right nor OK"). Like you I feel if you pay for something you want it to work, but that gets strained in the current world.
You're still making excuses. The Pacifica is not a "highly complex" vehicle. Its a Chrysler minivan. Its not an Aston Martin. There is nothing in it that Chrysler hasn't been making for years. Infotainment is the same as my 2014 Jeep, as is the rear seat entertainment system. Carmakers have been making these features for 20 years. This is not "cutting edge".

Which manufacturer has linked and embedded rear entertainment? I don't see it in the odyssey nor the brand new subaru ascent (their new 3-row) - subaru gives you ipads. Uconnect theater may not be perfect, but it's the most feature-rich out there unless someone can cite something better.
Honda, Toyota, you could get it on my Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, GM vehicles...

Seriously, these imbedded rear entertainment systems have been around forever. I can buy an aftermarket kit and have exactly what I have in the Pacifica. Its nothing special.

In any event, Chrysler has had this EXACT system available since 2013! It should work in a 2017 vehicle.

The headphones do seem like they have a flimsy battery cover, but there's a whole thread on that. my 2c is that some kids are more rough with things than others and mine haven't broken yet though I do recognize their fragility. The third party does seem to be replacing them if they break so it's not like they're refusing to help. Sure the design could have been better - there's also a headphone jack if there's an "AV emergency" and kids need to watch a movie. One would hope the third party and chrysler learned the lesson to make their battery door more robust.
I would counter that with, its a family vehicle and Chrysler should anticipate children would be using the headphones and make them more robust. Like I said, the aftermarket headphones are more robust.

I don't carry spare headphones. So an AV jack does me no good when the headphones break in the middle of a trip.

The headphones are guaranteed for life, which is great...but Chrysler is too stupid to tell their dealers that so dealers tell customers to pound sand when Chrysler will replace the headphones.

Will undoubtedly be my last Chrysler. 3's enough. One of those was great, but two...including the Pacifica have been crappy.

·
Registered
2020 Touring L 35th Anniversary Edition in Granite Crystal
279 Posts
I bought a 2006 Sebring in 2006 with 18,000 miles as it was a rental return. I had zero problems with that car. I believe that some people abuse rental cars, but I don't see a mini van as being rented by an abusive driver. If you buy a rental return, consider spending some of the savings on a Mopar Service Contract.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a same dilemma here.. I have a very nice, reliable, 2017 Camry, thats only 30k miles driven. I have been eyeing the Pacifica, ever since 2017 and now that i have a sweet deal on a 2020 Pacifica Hybrid Touring, thinking of what to do with my sedan. Got two kids and the sedan does feel pretty full with the family inside. I really dont need two cars, right now, and my wife has strong feelings about letting go, of a reliable toyota over this!

·
Registered
965 Posts
I have a same dilemma here.. I have a very nice, reliable, 2017 Camry, thats only 30k miles driven. I have been eyeing the Pacifica, ever since 2017 and now that i have a sweet deal on a 2020 Pacifica Hybrid Touring, thinking of what to do with my sedan. Got two kids and the sedan does feel pretty full with the family inside. I really dont need two cars, right now, and my wife has strong feelings about letting go, of a reliable toyota over this!
I was a big driver of the anti-Pacifica sentiment in this thread. I will say that we ditched that 2017 Pacifica and replaced it with a 2020 Pacifica against my better judgement. We've had the 2020 for 6 months and so far is it much better than the 2017 was. No issues so far, even rides and drives better.

So, I wouldnt be as stern in my warnings about a 2020 as I was an older model Pacifica.

Reactions: craig
21 - 34 of 34 Posts