2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After researching for several weeks, I decided to give it a shot. I bought a used 8th seat on ebay. I bought the mounting bracket from an online Mopar dealer, and I just ordered the 8th seat trim close out piece online too.

From what I gather, all of the 7 seat Pacs have the floor cutout for the 8th seats front mounts. It just so happens that the trim finisher carpet piece covers up the front floor cutouts and also obscures the area where the rear mounts will be.

I ordered the mounting bracket online (part 68250901AE $95) and sure enough, it fit underneath the floor panels. There are 6 bolts that hold that bracket down. 2 front, 2 middle, and 2 rear. The rear and middle bolts were installed (pointed up) in the floor of my 7 seater. The front bolts were not installed at the factory. (This will be an issue. Most likely I will have to drill 2 holes and insert a rivnut or something so that I can properly fasten the front part of the bracket.) The rear bolts already had a small support bracket that serves no purpose but to support the carpet above. This piece needs to be removed in order to install the 8th seat mount. You can reuse the nuts though as they are pretty heavy duty. I bought some 10mm washer nuts for the middle bolts from a hardware store.

In order to do all of this, it is necessary to remove some of the lower finish trim pieces in order to unbolt the floor (which is what the stow and go lids connect to.) Once unbolted, it was easy to just pull the floor up enough to slide the mount down on to the bolts.

After everything was tightened up, I test fit the seat and it fits perfect. You can either cut/modify the floor carpet trim piece to expose the front seat mounts and then also cut holes in it to expose the rear mounts, or you can just buy the floor carpet trim piece that is for the 8 seater (part 5XK70DX9AD $125) for a nice clean factory look.

After this, you will have to remove the inner armrest from the 2nd row outboard stow and go seats. These remove easily with a torx bit but the seats do have a small plastic nub that protrudes (its what the armrest mounts to) about 3/4 inch. Nonetheless, they don't hinder the ability to utilize the stow n go feature of the seats.

The last issue is the seat belt. On the 8 seater, the seat belt is mounted in the ceiling but my Pac has a sunroof, thus no seatbelt in the ceiling. The 8th seat has LATCH points built in from the factory and since I will be using this for a rear facing car seat, I don't need the seat belt, only the LATCH points.

In summary, here are the parts required for this conversion and some caveats:

1. 8th seat (eBay, Craigslist, etc) Price varies
2. Mounting bracket (part # 68250901AE) ~$95
3. Floor trim for 8 seat configuration (part # 5XK70DX9AD) ~$125
4. 2x 10mm washer nuts (part # 6102437AA) $0.89 ea

Caveats:

1. Just because I did this mod this way doesnt mean that it is the correct or legal way to do it. Use your own judgement when making modifications.
2. If you plan on using the seat for a normal passenger, you will have to come up with a way to use a seatbelt.
3. You will have to figure out a way to fasten the forward portion of the seat mount as it appears that the 7 seat Pacs don't have the bolts installed for the front of the mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Awesome write-up. Too bad this won't work on a PacHy due to the battery.

·
Registered
102 Posts
WOW i'm impressed. Too bad you couldn't add a quick release, so when you don't need the 8th seat easy to remove.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW i'm impressed. Too bad you couldn't add a quick release, so when you don't need the 8th seat easy to remove.
It's the factory mount and factory seat. You pull the bottom cable and it tips forward and comes out. It installs the reverse. It takes about 10 seconds to remove or install.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's the factory mount and factory seat. You pull the bottom cable and it tips forward and comes out. It installs the reverse. It takes about 10 seconds to remove or install.
Yeah but I like the 'lone' chair I could pretend I am on the Bridge of the enterprise..

Warp factor 1. Engage. Number one, make it so!

That would be awesome feels like you have command of the 'ship' LOL

·
Registered
368 Posts
what about the seatbelt? or is it strictly used for the baby seat? I'd also like to know if it voids any part of the warranty. The one thing I dont like about the 8th seat in ours is if you take it out then there is no arm rest in the inner parts of the seats.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I strictly wanted it for the car seat, not to add an adult seat. There is no seatbelt but you could probably have an old school manual lap belt made with the normal connector on one end and the mini connector on the other.

I don't think you can add the armrest to the outboard seats if they didn't come with one. On the 7 seat version the armrests are easily removable and can be added back if needed.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Yeah but I like the 'lone' chair I could pretend I am on the Bridge of the enterprise..

Warp factor 1. Engage. Number one, make it so!

That would be awesome feels like you have command of the 'ship' LOL
You make me smile. Whenever we go on a small trip, just prior to departure, I say to my kids,.... the space ship is getting ready to launch..... and they count down...ten, nine, eight..... blast off....... there you go. :grin2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts