2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new 18 hybrid Touring L for 10k off MSRP. Really wanted memory seats but couldn't justify the price jump to a 19 Limited to get that feature. I think I got a good deal. And the 7500 tax credit even makes it better. Opinions welcomed.

They offered a 100k extended warranty for $2100. Does that sound good or needed?

It has the DVD player in the ceiling. I noticed it has a usb port. What video formats will it play from it? Does it support any cover art for the movie files? Don't use DVDs, but a loaded usb drive of movies would be nice.

Can you adjust the open height of the rear tailgate? Looks like it might hit my garage door when it is open.

First non GM car for me. My 04 Envoy XUV has 204k on it and still going. Hoping this lasts as well as it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Check the manual on the open height of the gate. I think I saw it in there.

I skipped the extended warranty. I purchased a lifetime warranty on my 2008 T&C, knowing I’d own it for ten years or so. It hasn’t needed much work, so I lost on that gamble. With my 2019 PacHy, I’m going to wait and see.

There’s not much advantage in buying an extended warranty at the time of sale. You’ll get the best price on it buying it separate from the vehicle. You can buy it from any Chrysler dealer, anytime during the factory warranty. That means if you decide to get it, you can pursue a competitive price. The only advantage to buying it at the time of purchase is to wrap it into the auto loan. For me, that’s not something I’d want to do.

A good example is my wife’s Edge. That poor car has spent a couple of months in the shop, each time for what would have been a pricy repair. As we closed in on the basic warranty expiring, we were able to figure out what kind of coverage we needed to allow us to keep the vehicle. Got an additional 5 years and 90,000 additional miles for $2,100. We wouldn’t have know how many miles we’d need until our use patterns became apparent and wouldn’t have known we’d need a warranty at all until the Edge’s lack of reliability became apparent. Local dealers wanted north of $3,000 for that warranty. Buying online let us pick the right warranty at the best possible price.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't see anything in the manual about adjusting the open gate height. I will ask the dealer tomorrow and see if they know how.

I will probably skip the warranty for now. And see how it does over the next year or two.

Found out I wish it had power folding mirrors. It barely fits in the garage with them out. If I manually fold one in it is easier, but tight. Never would have guessed it was wider than my Envoy. Why make a car that barely fits through a standard garage door?

Mine came with the wireless phone charger which I have sense learned isn't Qi. I tried to got to the mopar wirelesscharging site, but the site it down. Is there a newer site to use the voucher at? I found the original rubber mat in the glove box. Is it hard to take out the wireless charger? Would probably like the flat original mat more than wireless charging anyway.

So far we really like the way it drives. Like not using gas also.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It’s an inch or so wider than my old T&C. I’ve got single stall doors on my garage, and I’ve gotten in the habit of using the power folding mirrors as I pull in the driveway. I’ll do it in tighter parking lots, too. I don’t think I’d have a problem with not having them, but they’ve been more useful than I expected.

·
Registered
580 Posts
It’s an inch or so wider than my old T&C. I’ve got single stall doors on my garage, and I’ve gotten in the habit of using the power folding mirrors as I pull in the driveway. I’ll do it in tighter parking lots, too. I don’t think I’d have a problem with not having them, but they’ve been more useful than I expected.
I don't have power folding mirrors but I do have a question about their use. You say you fold them in before entering the garage. What about when you back out? If they are still folded in then how do you know whether you are in danger of scraping the edge of the door frame?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I don't have power folding mirrors but I do have a question about their use. You say you fold them in before entering the garage. What about when you back out? If they are still folded in then how do you know whether you are in danger of scraping the edge of the door frame?
They unfold either by pushing the button, or when the speed is about something around 10mph. They stay folded while in the garage, and unfold themselves when I’m on my way. It’s a handier feature than I expected it to be. I don’t have a problem going in or out of my single door, but I suspect my wife would feel uncomfortable.

I’d really like it if Chrysler build some geofencing into the van. When I’m at my driveway, it would be nice if the mirrors would fold in automatically.

The side cameras for the surround-view are in the side mirror bodies, so when the mirrors fold you get a rather distorted view. Honda has done something interesting with their side mirror cameras. When you use your blinker, it displays the camera’s view on your main display, showing your blind spot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the same ceiling dvd player. I have used a usb stick with converted dvd’s to mp4 via handbreak. They work well!. The dvd player is not blu ray.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. You did get a good deal. I bought a 2018 Pachy in December 2018 and got $4500 off but then I got 4 rebates for a total of $11,450 (California has a lot of rebates).

Garage doors are fairly standard and my back hatch opens all the way with about an inch to spare, so I thought I was lucky.

Regarding extended warranties, I didn't buy at dealer but financed at the credit union and they offered one for about $1400. I have a Limited with a lot of "bells and whistles" so thought it was worth buying for peace of mind. Also, I am a Toyota guy so mildly worried about the brand. If I never need, at least I can sleep well not worrying about unexpected expenses. Enjoy your new van! It is big and rides really well. (and I got 60 mpg on my last fill!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man California does have a lot of rebates. I only got a small rebate by financing through Chrysler, and I will get the $7500 federal tax credit for it being a hybrid

I adjusted my garage door to pull it up until it hits the motor and that gave it some more clearance for the rear lift gate. So, now I am not to worried about it hitting.

I am going to refinance with a credit union to get better rate than the Chrysler one. When I do I will talk to them about warranties.

I did throw some mp4 files on a usb drive and they played fine. Now to get a larger drive and put all the kids movies on it.

So far we have driven about 325 miles in a week and only burned about 1/4 tank of gas. That beats filling the Envoy up every week. Looking at getting a Level 2 charger and having a 220 outlet wired in the garage. I having been looking at the MUSTART Level 2 Portable EV Charger 40amp as I don't really need all the fancy features of the more expensive ones. Might not need gas at all if I do that. Still need to get quotes from electricians and figure out how long it would take to earn a return on the investment.

·
Registered
249 Posts
So far we have driven about 325 miles in a week and only burned about 1/4 tank of gas. That beats filling the Envoy up every week. Looking at getting a Level 2 charger and having a 220 outlet wired in the garage. I having been looking at the MUSTART Level 2 Portable EV Charger 40amp as I don't really need all the fancy features of the more expensive ones. Might not need gas at all if I do that. Still need to get quotes from electricians and figure out how long it would take to earn a return on the investment.
You may never get a return on investment if you have to purchase a Level 2 EVSE plus installation. I estimate level 2 is about 10% more efficient than level 1. It takes about 13 kWh to fully charge the car. These are number of charges just to breakeven for the $379 EVSE:

Price difference between each charge in cents:
$0.10 3790 charges
$0.12 3158
$0.14 2707
$0.16 2369
$0.18 2106
$0.20 1895
$0.22 1723
$0.24 1579

But this is just electric costs and doesn't take gas savings into consideration. If you have a schedule where you go home multiple times a day, the breakeven will be much sooner.

·
Registered
94 Posts
We fold ours in when we park - since we pull in straight, we just pull out straight, no need to unfurl the mirrors until we're outside of the garage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You may never get a return on investment if you have to purchase a Level 2 EVSE plus installation. I estimate level 2 is about 10% more efficient than level 1. It takes about 13 kWh to fully charge the car. These are number of charges just to breakeven for the $379 EVSE:

$0.10 3790 charges
$0.12 3158
$0.14 2707
$0.16 2369
$0.18 2106
$0.20 1895
$0.22 1723
$0.24 1579

But this is just electric costs and doesn't take gas savings into consideration. If you have a schedule where you go home multiple times a day, the breakeven will be much sooner.
Based on gas prices and driving around 1166 miles a month, the price difference between one full charge at night + running in hybrid mode some vs always on electricity is about $7 per month. Our schedule includes stops at home a few times a day, but only for an 1 or 2 hours here and there. Not enough for a level 1 charger to make much difference. But, with a level 2 charger that 1 or 2 hours could top it off. I hadn't even considered the efficient difference between level 1 and level 2.

Another thing is my power company offers EV pricing. So instead of 10 cents per KWH it would be 4.2 cents from 10pm to 6am and 15 cents during the day. That is great for cars with larger batteries, but not sure if it would help me much as we would need to charge during the day some. Early calculations show me it could still save me an additional $15 per month on EV pricing vs the normal 10 cent pricing if I am only using electricity to travel. The trick would be knowing when to charge during the day and when to just wait until night to optimize savings. You wouldn't want to end your day with a nearly full battery.

·
Registered
477 Posts

$0.10 3790 charges
$0.12 3158
$0.14 2707
$0.16 2369
$0.18 2106
$0.20 1895
$0.22 1723
$0.24 1579

Of course you are basing your cost of charging on a flat electric rate. For some of us, we have a demand-based rate with the utility and electric rates vary from hour to hour. Some demand-base rates also have a penalty based upon peak kWh demand during peak hours. Non-peak hours might be from 11PM through 6AM which would make it impossible to charge with a Level 1 charger and still stay within the non-peak time period. In my case, there are usually between two and four time periods (hours) in the middle of the night where electricity is cheapest. So if I can complete my charging during two of those cheapest periods then I can charge at a lower rate than a Level 1 charger which will be extracting electricity from twelve to fourteen of those time periods (hours).

And for me, as you have noted, I can return and re-charge multiple times throughout the day which would be practically impossible to do with a Level 1 charger. On some days I have logged 50-70 miles of all-electric driving. So depending on your habits, with a Level 1 charger you may be forced into a situation where you are running the ICE more frequently and spending almost three times as much for your fuel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts