2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
8 Posts
European mini vans have had 4cyl none hybrid engines for some time, no one there seems to mind much and given the higher cost of fuel to the US fuel econ is very important. Now I have only driven 2 in the UK a Gen 3 Espace that was loaded and most like had a v6 and a peugeot that had a diesel 4 cyl, that one had tons of power to move stuff.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Many times have I been in my buddy’s 4 cylinder Subaru Ascent, 6 grown men cruising to 7000 ft elevation in the Sierras to ski the Tahoe area resorts. Never really felt underpowered at 260 hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Took the Pacifica to flourish keys last summer and got 40mpg with 5 people and both Thule racks on top and luggage . And I can tell you this running interstate , ac , luggage running up and down hilly interstate at 75mph I wouldn’t want a 4 cyl . Check the dimensions of Subaru vs sienna and all they can muster is 22 with a 4cyl . I could t imagine passing or load at 75 overtaking a semi, some emergency manoeuvre at speed .

·
Registered
305 Posts
You keep talking about 4-cylinder vehicles like you've never driven anything except a Ford Festiva. Americans are focused on displacement and cylinder number, which is funny since neither are consequential.

You still haven't explained to me in which way a 240hp 4-cylinder is worse than a 240hp 6-cylinder (or an 8, for that matter).

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Well first off I wouldn’t buy a 4 cyl no matter what . Secondly , torque and horsepower are two variants I look at when purchasing a car . Most 4 cyl engines have to work harder to achieve that rating , as well as you look at bore and stroke and what rpms it’s achieved at . The primary reason is that roads in North America are vastly different than in other parts of the world . Also , 99 percent of cars are equipped with a manual gearbox , euro are used to small cars for gas , parking , streets , etc . Remember horsepower gives you top speed where as torque gives us acceleration, and vast majority of 4 cyl cars are turbo and utilize premium fuel to achieve max horsepower. Dyno a engine and look at graph for horsepower and torque from a 4 cyl and 6 cyl and you’ll notice a lot vast differences . Load and friction is what kills a engine , so if you think smaller is more efficient you have to look at the whole picture of utilitarian for that vehicle . Ask ford owners about Ecoboost when hauling loads , acceleration , maintenance.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
You keep talking about 4-cylinder vehicles like you've never driven anything except a Ford Festiva. Americans are focused on displacement and cylinder number, which is funny since neither are consequential.

You still haven't explained to me in which way a 240hp 4-cylinder is worse than a 240hp 6-cylinder (or an 8, for that matter).
60 deg. V6s and 90 deg. V8s are inherently better balanced and smoother than an inline 4. It requires large counterweights to overcome the vibrations in a 4.

That aside, there are obvious weight and cost advantages to fewer cylinders.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Agreed but we were just talking about 4 vs 6 comparison . Engine weight, balancing , internals , etc are another topic . I just know that I’m getting 40 mpg and I wouldn’t be getting that with a 4 cyl engine in the Pacifica .
4719763F-32AE-47ED-8E20-85DD2E5E7AE8.jpeg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Use to brag about the pacifica and convince people it’s a great van. Not so much lately with reliability issues that keep popping up.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Hate to say it but no cars today aren’t with their gremlins . Go on the Honda , Toyota forums and see what’s going on with their vans , just saying . Whether it’s bmw, Mercedes , Tesla , Ford , Toyota they all have issues . People buy million dollar homes and foundations crack , warped walls , windows that fog , etc . Welcome to the gotta have it now and fast century .

41 - 49 of 49 Posts