2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is typical? 2-3 years? Anyone not had problems after 3 years?

Our 2018 has been having some issues lately, and I've read a bunch of posts talking about fob problems. About 5-10% of the time, our fobs seem to need multiple presses to lock/unlock the doors. Wife had to use the fob-contact-start button method the other day.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
598 Posts
I just replaced the fob battery in both my fobs for a March 2018 build date Touring L Plus. Same as you, the fob functions started getting sporadic, and had no function until I was beside the vehicle.

With all the functions the fob does, and it is always checking for proximity to the vehicle, the batteries do not last as long as in older vehicles with much less functionality.

Reactions: SciTchr

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,119 Posts

Our 2018 has been having some issues lately, and I've read a bunch of posts talking about fob problems. About 5-10% of the time, our fobs seem to need multiple presses to lock/unlock the doors. Wife had to use the fob-contact-start button method the other day.
Consider yourself lucky if they last two years. There were reports of some lasting only a year. I would suggest replacing all the fobs' batteries or at least having spare fob batteries (CR2032) on hand. Our fobs' batteries died a week apart even though one fob was rarely used.

·
Super Moderator
598 Posts
Consider yourself lucky if they last two years. There were reports of some lasting only a year. I would suggest replacing all the fobs' batteries or at least having spare fob batteries (CR2032) on hand. Our fobs' batteries died a week apart even though one fob was rarely used.
In our case, I always insist on my wife having the spare fob in her purse, in case something happens to mine, or it gets lost. So her fob is also 'communicating' with the vehicle the same amount of time as mine. Thus our two getting new batteries.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I just replaced the battery for the first time in my most used key fob. It lasted 2 years and 10 months. I disagree with those who say that the key fob communicates with the car all the time. In fact there is no communication until you touch the door handle, only then is there a quick burst radio signal to verify that they key is present.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I just replaced the battery for the first time in my most used key fob. It lasted 2 years and 10 months. I disagree with those who say that the key fob communicates with the car all the time. In fact there is no communication until you touch the door handle, only then is there a quick burst radio signal to verify that they key is present.
Umm . . . how does the fob know you just touched the door handle? It has a receiver that is always on.

When you touch the handle, the car sends a signal to the fob's receiver, then the fob broadcasts a signal to the car to allow entry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all....we had the car since August '18, and I believe it had sat on the lot for about 6 months prior to that.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Umm . . . how does the fob know you just touched the door handle? It has a receiver that is always on.

When you touch the handle, the car sends a signal to the fob's receiver, then the fob broadcasts a signal to the car to allow entry.
Correct. But the power required for the receiver in the fob is very little. It is the response from the fob to the car that draws the most power and that exchange is only momentary and does not occur until you touch the car's door handle.

·
Registered
273 Posts

Have your main and aux battery been replaced yet as they seem to have a shorter lifespan than the key fob battery and can create numerous issues when they are beginning to fail.

·
Super Moderator
598 Posts
Correct. But the power required for the receiver in the fob is very little. It is the response from the fob to the car that draws the most power and that exchange is only momentary and does not occur until you touch the car's door handle.
It may be very little, but it is still there. like the phantom power used by our device chargers in the home. This small draw was not there in the older vehicle fobs that did not have proximity sensing. So the fob battery is still going to drain much faster than the older fobs we were used to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The main/aux batteries were replaced under warranty, when the engine auto-stop/start feature stopped working.

·
Registered
651 Posts
It may be very little, but it is still there. like the phantom power used by our device chargers in the home. This small draw was not there in the older vehicle fobs that did not have proximity sensing. So the fob battery is still going to drain much faster than the older fobs we were used to.
That is also true. I guess the point I am trying to make is that the drain on the key fob battery is not dependent on how long it spends in proximity to the car when not in use. You can store it inside a shielded metal box or hang it on a hook next to the car, the key fob battery life will be the same.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
That is also true. I guess the point I am trying to make is that the drain on the key fob battery is not dependent on how long it spends in proximity to the car when not in use. You can store it inside a shielded metal box or hang it on a hook next to the car, the key fob battery life will be the same.
I believe the fobs have an emergency mode that sends a signal to ChryslerCares, "Help, I'm being held captive inside a shielded metal box!" [ducking]

Reactions: ChryslerCares

·
Registered
45 Posts
I should think the engineers who made the fob(s) determined that a polling process for communication to the van’s cpu a waste of power, bandwidth, and generating wasteful emf. So it’s an interrupt system. You touch the door handle, the cpu wakes up, sends out a who are you and compares the answer with its own data base.

·
Super Moderator
598 Posts
You can store it inside a shielded metal box or hang it on a hook next to the car, the key fob battery life will be the same.
Sounds like we are saying the same thing in different ways. I too was trying to say it does not matter where the fob is, it is still listening for its vehicle.

I should think the engineers who made the fob(s) determined that a polling process for communication to the van’s cpu a waste of power, bandwidth, and generating wasteful emf. So it’s an interrupt system. You touch the door handle, the cpu wakes up, sends out a who are you and compares the answer with its own data base.
But how is the fob going to know it is being polled if there if it is not actively 'listening'? So over time, even though it may be a small drain, it is still a drain that is more than the older fobs with no proximity features.

·
Registered
2 Posts

The battery lasts about 2-1/2 years. Go to the section on key fob maintenance in your owner's manual. It is relatively easy to open the fob, remove the dead battery, and replace it with a new battery. The battery size is listed in the manual for your fob.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The battery lasts about 2-1/2 years. Go to the section on key fob maintenance in your owner's manual. It is relatively easy to open the fob, remove the dead battery, and replace it with a new battery. The battery size is listed in the manual for your fob.
That battery size is the CR2032. It is a very common battery and can be found on any Walmart battery kiosk or almost any other store that stocks common batteries. A google search showed prices from 29 cents to $2.49. They're all the same thing, so pay what your want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts