2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have a metered car charger, how much are you seeing put into the vehicle? Just installed our JuiceBox and we are seeing 12.2 to 12.8 so far.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Using the OEM EVSE on a 120v outlet (L1), I consistently see 15.2 kwh for a full charge. There's energy/efficiency lost there; I just build it into my data calculations when I calculate overall savings over gas.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I believe that 15.2 kWh is probably the car does not permit the battery level to go that low in order to protect its life. There may be a slight extra loss from L1 charging vs L2. How are you measuring the power?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Using the OEM EVSE on a 120v outlet (L1), I consistently see 15.2 kwh for a full charge. There's energy/efficiency lost there; I just build it into my data calculations when I calculate overall savings over gas.
Is it cold enough that it's spending energy doing battery conditioning or something? I didn't think the usable capacity was anywhere near 15kWh.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I believe that 15.2 kWh is probably the car does not permit the battery level to go that low in order to protect its life. There may be a slight extra loss from L1 charging vs L2. How are you measuring the power?
Is it cold enough that it's spending energy doing battery conditioning or something? I didn't think the usable capacity was anywhere near 15kWh.
I was confused regarding capacity initially as well. The power meter I use to measure electricity usage is measuring total electricity used, but not all of it is going into the vehicle; efficiency loss accounts for ~2-3 kwh. For my own cost and gas-equivalency calculations, I'm equating 15kwh to 25 miles real-world usage. (Essentially, I'm paying for 15kwh to go roughly 25 miles, which is about how much I get for a full "tank" of electricity-only driving.)

·
Registered
311 Posts
10.22-11.55 with an average time around 1:44 according to my Juicebox 40 logs.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was confused regarding capacity initially as well. The power meter I use to measure electricity usage is measuring total electricity used, but not all of it is going into the vehicle; efficiency loss accounts for ~2-3 kwh. For my own cost and gas-equivalency calculations, I'm equating 15kwh to 25 miles real-world usage. (Essentially, I'm paying for 15kwh to go roughly 25 miles, which is about how much I get for a full "tank" of electricity-only driving.)
Charge efficiency for a Li-ion battery is somewhere around 99%, so that's barely measurable. Resistive losses in the charge circuit should also not be anywhere close to the 15-25% you're seeing. Unless it's powering either the battery heater or running the fans to cool it when you're charging, my guess would be your EVSE is lying.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I get 31 miles on a full charge if I do not use the heater,

12.5kWh is consistent with the discharge and maximum charge limits they apply to car systems to ensure long battery life.

I would suggest Jonnyma45 equipment has a measurement error.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
10.22-11.55 with an average time around 1:44 according to my Juicebox 40 logs.
In Canada? I’d check the calibration on that. :) seems a little low.

My juicebox pro has always been in the low to mid 12 since it was installed in April '17. Yours appears consistent.
What state are you in?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Charge efficiency for a Li-ion battery is somewhere around 99%, so that's barely measurable. Resistive losses in the charge circuit should also not be anywhere close to the 15-25% you're seeing. Unless it's powering either the battery heater or running the fans to cool it when you're charging, my guess would be your EVSE is lying.
While the vehicle is charging the electronics are awake the entire time. Pumps are running, heaters (if required) are on, 12v battery is charging, and a very powerful fan will come on occasionally..

Extrapolate your best guesstimate on that current (in watts) and times by the charge time and you may find that charging at 240v and 30amp will use less total kWh than 120v at 12amp.

Climate seems to matter.. might be worth a poll.

But this doesnt matter to monitor lithium battery degradation because the pattern you record will still show what you want.

·
Registered
305 Posts
How long does the charge take? We should be able to take 12A*120V*time in h to see if your kWh number is realistic.

·
Registered
554 Posts
In Canada? I’d check the calibration on that. :) seems a little low.

What state are you in?

Iowa. I haven't logged into the old juicebox in a while to check and see. Looking now. I'll post for times I know it was showing zero. When it's cold like right now my meter shows 29 miles to start in the mornig. I usually get to work with 10 miles remaining. 1 way to work is 11 miles. I do pre-condition in the garage in the morning for 10 - 15 minutes. Van has 37k miles on it. I've had it since the end of April '17.

2/7 - 12.2 1:50
2/6 - 12.5 1:53
2/4 - 11.5 1:44
2/3 - 11.7 1:47
1/31 - 11.7 1:46

Looks like I hover on either side of 12 kWh in this short sample.

I've run 9,555 kWh through it lifetime. I had charging at work for 1.5 years, so topped up there workdays as well as at home. I've also charged 110 while at campgrounds a bunch of times as well.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Iowa. I haven't logged into the old juicebox in a while to check and see. Looking now. I'll post for times I know it was showing zero. When it's cold like right now my meter shows 29 miles to start in the mornig. I usually get to work with 10 miles remaining. 1 way to work is 11 miles. I do pre-condition in the garage in the morning for 10 - 15 minutes. Van has 37k miles on it. I've had it since the end of April '17.

2/7 - 12.2 1:50
2/6 - 12.5 1:53
2/4 - 11.5 1:44
2/3 - 11.7 1:47
1/31 - 11.7 1:46

Looks like I hover on either side of 12 kWh in this short sample.

I've run 9,555 kWh through it lifetime. I had charging at work for 1.5 years, so topped up there workdays as well as at home. I've also charged 110 while at campgrounds a bunch of times as well.
Interesting.

There is data read out of the vehicle that records the HV batteries bottom SOC (gauge 0%) at 25%, the upper SOC (gauge 100%) at 90%.. with 47Ah at a nominal Voltage of 355v.

I would love a peak inside your battery data..

·
Registered
554 Posts
Interesting.

There is data read out of the vehicle that records the HV batteries bottom SOC (gauge 0%) at 25%, the upper SOC (gauge 100%) at 90%.. with 47Ah at a nominal Voltage of 355v.

I would love a peak inside your battery data..
Is there a way we can make that heppen? I'm game.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Is there a way we can make that heppen? I'm game.
Yeah there is.. Stop-Eject found the perfect tool. Factory level data for almost free.

i have the dealer tool and we’ve compared them.. it has even more info ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2018 Limited. My first hyrbrid battery had problems and had to be replaced. I never got more than 12.2kWhr, using either my Chargepoint CPH32 or Chargepoint public charging network, when I started at 1% charge and went to full. The battery started degrading and I was getting about 10kWhr for a full charge right before it failed. Chrysler replaced the hybrid battery in November, last year. Since then I have been consistently charging in the 13.2 to 13.6 kWhr for a full charge.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts