2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Leaking Coolant?

29K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  kmorg77 
We're at around 78k with our Touring L and also have coolant "disappearing" someplace. We were down below the lowest line on the reservoir, and so I refilled the coolant two weeks ago and it's holding steady. I can't see any obvious leaks or sprays of coolant from a leaking radiator, which I'm familiar with from a previous car. I'm a bit nervous that it could be leaking someplace else.

Not sure if it's related, but we also have a gurgling sound behind the dash - not audible from outside the car, or from engine compartment. The electronic coolant temp meter in the Pacifica's computer doesn't indicate anything terribly high - with my latest addition of coolant, or even when it was low.
I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, this thread is 4 years old and you have a '17 with 78k miles on it, so you did those miles in 1 year?
Anyone else notice issues with their coolant levels being low? I popped the hood the other day to find my coolant levels 2 inches below the minimum threshold line. Brought it in today to the dealer and was told that a part was leaking, cant remember what it was for the life of me and that it needs to stay in the shop for warranty work. I will be in the dealership tomorrow to get the details on what the issue is but wondering if anyone has had any issues around this with their Pacifica's. Mine has only 4,000km on it!
Anyone else notice issues with their coolant levels being low? I popped the hood the other day to find my coolant levels 2 inches below the minimum threshold line. Brought it in today to the dealer and was told that a part was leaking, cant remember what it was for the life of me and that it needs to stay in the shop for warranty work. I will be in the dealership tomorrow to get the details on what the issue is but wondering if anyone has had any issues around this with their Pacifica's. Mine has only 4,000km on it!
I know this is an old thread but did you ever get your problem figured out? My '18 with 60k miles seems to always use about a half inch of coolant every couple of thousand miles with absolutely no leaks so just wondering
if everybody's coolant is going down to a little.:rolleyes:

My 2021 smells like coolant. Was about 1/2 inch below full on the overflow tank. I topped it off two weeks ago, didnt seem to disappear yet. But the smell lingers in the garage everyday. Had this same issue with my 2018 caravan, it turned out be a pin hole in the drivers side of the radiator down very low. Took me forever to find it.
My 2021 smells like coolant. Was about 1/2 inch below full on the overflow tank. I topped it off two weeks ago, didnt seem to disappear yet. But the smell lingers in the garage everyday. Had this same issue with my 2018 caravan, it turned out be a pin hole in the drivers side of the radiator down very low. Took me forever to find it.
When the engine's hot and full of pressure pop the hood with a flashlight and look down deep and see if you can see any wet areas is a good start. I've watched some videos where these new pacificas get pin holes in the radiator. Check the coolant recovery Bottle too sometimes those hose connections aren't tight and it leaks from up there too I also check around the alternator area where the water pump is to see if the water pump is leaking. With a '21 I would think not but you have to look at everything

In my pacific I noticed a slight leak from the rubber hose from the egr. It looks like weak zip ties. There is also a smell of coolant.
Interesting. Let us know if that was the culprit, I'll keep an eye on mine to....

I had the radiator replaced on my 2017 Pacifica Touring L at 21,000 miles after a very small coolant leak was found. The coolant level would take months to get to a lower level in the tank. Now a year and a half later it is happening again. Bought more 50/50 mopar coolant at a dealer and asked him if the radiator was a common part to replace. The parts person looked it up on his computer and said about 60 a month were sold by Chrysler. Guess it time time to take it in and use my Mopar Lifetime warranty as the mileage is now at 43,000 miles.
Well on a positive note 60 a month are being sold by Chrysler and there are millions of Pacificas on the road that's still an extremely low percentage affected that you wouldn't have to worry about

Exactly, where it connects to the aluminum tube. I added extra zip ties and it's almost gone now.
From the bottom of the engine, there were leaks of coolant on the electric cubes. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture then.

View attachment 52267
Yes I will definitely keep an eye on that area I can see where you put the radiator clamps on glad it helped... Did you visibly see coolant leaks coming from those areas or you just did that as a precaution and it worked?