2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

261 - 280 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Resistors for TIPM

Anyone have thoughts/experience on this requirement?

"Make sure to add our TIPM Stabilizing Resistor if you own a TIPM-enabled vehicle! Most 2007 and newer Chryslers, Dodges, and Jeeps have a TIPM computer system and will require this resistor."
This is from the Opt-7 website (I cannot post links yet)

I am debating if I should install this resistor. The problem with this is: it gets so hot that you need to keep it away from plastic and/or any type of wiring. There's no place for it... maybe on the diagonal cross bars?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Anyone have thoughts/experience on this requirement?

"Make sure to add our TIPM Stabilizing Resistor if you own a TIPM-enabled vehicle! Most 2007 and newer Chryslers, Dodges, and Jeeps have a TIPM computer system and will require this resistor."
This is from the Opt-7 website (I cannot post links yet)

I am debating if I should install this resistor. The problem with this is: it gets so hot that you need to keep it away from plastic and/or any type of wiring. There's no place for it... maybe on the diagonal cross bars?

l have not heard anyone here doing that. l my self have been using LED for around two months and nothing bad has happened.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had V-LED's for everything except the front turn signals installed for 3 months+ with no issues. No flickering, no warnings, and no external TIPM or CANBUS "adapter" on any of them. I did have to add one to my Grand Cherokee for the low beams. They worked, but would flicker when parking during the headlight off delay.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So I've read all the pages in this thread - still have a couple of questions (sorry in advance if they've been answered and I didn't see them):

--Do the tail lights have bulbs associated with braking and/or turning in the lift gate area, or are these actions only happening in the edge housings (i.e., the outer, non-lift gate plastic light housings)?

--Has anyone found a metal area on which to affix resistors for the tail lights? I understand from various postings that people have been able to get by without using resistors, but that there is hyperflashing on the side mirror turn signals (for Limiteds like mine). Or maybe the hyperflashing has to do with amber LEDs installed on the front turn signals. I've always used resistors for each LED in previous vehicles, so I'm surprised that people aren't getting hyperflashing without them.

--For front turn signals, are there metal locations for resistors?

--How easy is it to access and replace the vanity mirror bulbs with LEDs?

--Reverse light replacement with LEDs should be pretty easy and not require resistors since they don't blink. Is there a tutorial on how to access the lift gate light assembly, or is it pretty obvious if I look at the access panels from inside? (I just took delivery of my 2018 Limited last week, so haven't had a chance to check yet.)

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,973 Posts
So I've read all the pages in this thread - still have a couple of questions (sorry in advance if they've been answered and I didn't see them):

--Do the tail lights have bulbs associated with braking and/or turning in the lift gate area, or are these actions only happening in the edge housings (i.e., the outer, non-lift gate plastic light housings)?
Only in the corner housings, not in the lift gate

--Has anyone found a metal area on which to affix resistors for the tail lights? I understand from various postings that people have been able to get by without using resistors, but that there is hyperflashing on the side mirror turn signals (for Limiteds like mine). Or maybe the hyperflashing has to do with amber LEDs installed on the front turn signals. I've always used resistors for each LED in previous vehicles, so I'm surprised that people aren't getting hyperflashing without them.
I replaced all external light bulbs with LEDs. No hyperflashing. Chrysler chose to trigger the hypeflashing at a lower current. Low power bulbs may still cause hypeflash.
I used these in front https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amber-CAN-bus-PWY24W-CREE-LED-Bulbs-For-Audi-VW-Front-Turn-Signal-or-DRL-Lights/162708668104
and these in the rear https://amzn.to/2q7oxXz
--For front turn signals, are there metal locations for resistors?
Resistors are not needed.
--How easy is it to access and replace the vanity mirror bulbs with LEDs?
it is easy, I posted it a how to a while ago. However replacing this bulb with a cold white LED will result in an unnatural skin color. I decided to leave this bulb as it is.
--Reverse light replacement with LEDs should be pretty easy and not require resistors since they don't blink. Is there a tutorial on how to access the lift gate light assembly, or is it pretty obvious if I look at the access panels from inside? (I just took delivery of my 2018 Limited last week, so haven't had a chance to check yet.)

Thanks!
There are access panels on the lift gate. They need to be carefully pried out. I had a good experience with the bulbs similar to these: https://amzn.to/2PPMHkB

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks stop-eject.

What about the hyperflashing I've read about in the side-mirror turn signal lamps? Does anyone with a Limited (I think that's the only trim that has mirror turn signals) have hyperflashing, and if so, did it trace to either the front or rear (or both!) turn signals as LED without resistors as the cause?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks stop-eject.

What about the hyperflashing I've read about in the side-mirror turn signal lamps? Does anyone with a Limited (I think that's the only trim that has mirror turn signals) have hyperflashing, and if so, did it trace to either the front or rear (or both!) turn signals as LED without resistors as the cause?
Front: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3AZQYH?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
Rear: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EEI9LL2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_QU2ZBb2QHJNJD

This bulbs makes no hyperflash on Limited.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,973 Posts
I have a Limited. No hyperflashing. I myself was surprised that the van handled the aftermarket LEDs so well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a Limited. No hyperflashing. I myself was surprised that the van handled the aftermarket LEDs so well.
Glad to hear that there is no hyperflashing - even in the side-mirror turn signal indicators - on the 2018 Limiteds.

Looks like I'll be getting some good LED action without having to splice in resistors for every LED, as I've had to do in previous vehicles. Kudos to Chrysler for apparently choosing a power draw value above which hyperflashing won't happen!

As has been written elsewhere, I'm surprised that Chrysler (and indeed any manufacturer of a new vehicle these days) doesn't have LEDs for every light. Especially for the tail lights, since the 2018s already have the cool-looking LED outline, and since the Limiteds also use the cool-looking lower LED band on the headlights as the DRLs. It's all LEDs nowadays!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just went full LED today on my 2018 Pacifica Touring L+
Links in the description box:

youtube.com/watch?v=yikGinKBMUc
I see you're using the old-style LED bulbs a bunch of us tried way back.

These bleed light above the cutoffs into oncoming traffic.

You should post a picture on a garage.

What little I see in your video @ 0:42 looks really bad. A lot of bleed above where the cutoff should be. Not street legal. If you cause an accident you may be liable.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If anyone tackles the issue of LED bulbs there are 2 issues we encountered way back:

1. Most 9005 bulbs are too long. The projector housing in the pacifica is really short. You need a bulb with a short tip. I think longer than 45-48mm doesn't work.

2. Most bulbs are just a strip of LEDs and produce very bad glare to oncoming traffic. A lot of light bleed above where the horizon should be. I returned 2 sets and gave up back in March.

261 - 280 of 308 Posts