2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

LED replacement lights

141K views 334 replies 71 participants last post by  YotoWerks 
#1 ·
LED Brake Light bulb swap

Has anyone tried swapping out the brake lights to LED? I'm actually shocked that Chrysler did not make them LED considering the T&C had LED brake lights, and so does every other minivan outside of their base trim level. Makes me believe that they will include it in a later mid-model upgrade.

Reactions: RED SWORD
#2 ·
Hey everyone...

I decided to create a new thread for this question rather than gumming-up other threads.

I do not have experience or knowledge regarding LED bulb conversions and the myriad of LED bulb sites out there do not seem to help clarify any of my confusion. There are SO MANY bulb styles, types, models, intensities, etc. Most of the sites do not even have data to filter a search on a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica. I have no idea what bulbs are in any of the various fixtures inside and outside my car, nor what the appropriate corresponding LED replacement could/should be.

Any of you that HAVE swapped headlights, fog-lights, brake lights, backup-lights, etc... could you post in THIS thread the Make/Model# of the part you purchased - but more importantly, what is/are the criteria for FINDING replacement bulbs...? Like: If I am looking for the BRIGHTEST LED replacement bulbs for my reverse-lights... what "style" bulb or connector do I need to look for...? what is the stock lumens so I know what I am buying is actually BRIGHTER...?

I basically would love to know the "process" you go through to find them and what information is necessary to know BEFORE trying to hunt them down.

Thanks in advance...
:nerd:

#3 ·
Honestly, the way I figure out which bulbs to get is by reading what other people have tried in forums like this. Once there's a report of a bulb that works, you can usually look at the specs for a bulb type (like 7140) and do a search for other options of the same type.

#4 ·
Ordered Morimoto 9005 LEDs to replace my current 9005 HID high beam set up, 7440 LED equivalents for the backups, and 7443 LED equivalents for the rear stop/turn signals. I'll see if they work. The front turn signals are a bit exotic and I have not found an amber replacement for them. Side markers are w3w, but I think you can throw in a w5w led bulb in there. They'll be a little brighter. I'm leaving the side markers alone for now.

#21 ·
So how many per side did you order for the brake and turn signal? Is it just the outter most lamp that is the brake and turn signal (1 bulb) or is there also a bulb in the part that is above the back up light attached to tailgate?

Did you get red color or clear colors 7443 LED equivalents for the rear stop/turn signals?

#7 ·
Completed most of the swaps today. Reverse light install has been detailed somewhere else, but I used Morimoto 7440 bulbs for the reverse lights. I installed Morimoto 7443 equivalents for the brake/turn signals. Requires removal of the lamp assembly. You need a Torx 30, then pull the housing out and replace the bulbs. Easy. Just waiting for the front turn signals and marker lights to arrive, and I should be full on LED...

#10 ·
Has anyone tried swapping out the brake lights to LED? I'm actually shocked that Chrysler did not make them LED considering the T&C had LED brake lights, and so does every other minivan outside of their base trim level. Makes me believe that they will include it in a later mid-model upgrade.
I swapped out mine for Morimoto LED equivalents 7443. Work fine.

#30 ·
Thank you and sorry for the delay response. Any hyperflashing for the trail turn signal?

#11 · (Edited)
Just swapped mine out with the Philips back up brake lights. they came with red LED's. There are 2 Torx 30 screws per side. There are also two ball joints that hold the housing in place. Be careful when pulling the housing off so you don't break the ball joints. I had to pull straight out to get them to release and one side was harder to pop off than the other. You can see the ball joints in the removed housing picture. The LEDs are definitely brighter than the stock bulbs. AAMC used a different brand. Maybe he can post some pics so we can compare.

WARNING! I removed the Amazon link to mine. I did not get any warnings but I have the dreaded fast turn signal. Oddly enough, The only light blinking quickly is the one on the mirror. The rest blink normally. Do not buy the Philips. Go with what AAMC purchased instead.

Attachments

#15 ·
Nice! Can you post a link to the turn signal LEDs? Did they need a canbus adapter? Bummer about the high beams. Hopefully you get it sorted out.

Never mind. Saw you posted a link in the other thread. I'll merge them.

#14 · (Edited)
I installed the PWY24WSV replacements tonight. I sourced them from ledin.us: Amber PWY24W PW24W LED Projector No Error Front Turn Signal Light Requires popping the rivets to the plastic cover over the grill/radiator. Remove the cover, and you will have access to the front turn signals. These are more amber in color than the indicators on the mirrors. I'll post pics once I have all the swaps done.

#42 ·
Found some CREE LED lights instead here! When it comes to LED output (measured in lumens), CREE is the way to go. All the tactical LED flashlights are CREE LED flashlights.

#20 ·
Thanks. I used to have a Boxster before we had our daughter. Now she has a Porsche and I don't. :grin2:

Reactions: Tsuter
#22 ·
Just for the outer most lamps on the body. There is no bulb on the lift gate side. You will need 2 7443 bulbs total.

Still doesn't make sense to me, but everything I've read on LED's suggests going with same color bulb as the lens, so I got red.

#23 ·
Still doesn't make sense to me, but everything I've read on LED's suggests going with same color bulb as the lens, so I got red.
Yeah, I've read that as well. I don't fully understand it, but it has to do with the way LEDs produce white and colors and what portions of those get filtered out by the colored lens. All the smart people online seem to agree that you should match the LED color to the lens color, so I guess we should just trust them since we don't understand it ourselves :)

#25 ·
When I installed it, the high beams would come on, but then the left would go out. I bought an additional anti flicker harness, and also another LED kit from another company, but have been a little busy. I'm going to try and get it done this weekend. It's the only thing holding me back from full on LED except the HID low beams (I threw in some Morimoto 6k bulbs), which I'll keep. With the Morimoto kit, the dust covers have to be modified. I haven't modified the dust covers to fit, but there will likely be a problem because the bulb is a little offset, and not centered on the dust cover. That's why I bought this other kit to try as well. It has a different cooling system than the Morimoto, and may be able to completely fit into the housing. I doubt it though. I'll report back sometime this weekend. Oh, the fun of modding...

#29 ·
Alright!!! I have finally replaced every exterior bulb with 100% full on LED (except the low beam HID's, I put in 6000k Morimotos for those). I ended up installing this kit from xenondepot.com: XenonDepot | 2016 Chrysler 300 LED Kit | Xtreme 9005 LED. I liked this kit because it comes with the anti flicker harness, the LED's are "clockable" to allow for optimal positioning of the LEDs within the housing, and the cooling system allows for modified dust covers to be put back on. I did have to modify the dust covers to fit, but all is well. Some of the wiring and modules are outside of the headlight housing, but I secured them using zip ties to the metal support bars that sit above the headlight housings. These are some pics I took tonight, but will take more when the weather gets better. Lighting is impressive, no errors, and this works best with the automatic high beams. I can now say that I am finally done modding this van!

Attachments

#33 ·
I installed the resistors today, and report that things are initially working well. Have not received a code yet. Without them, I would get a left tail light out with hyper flash of the turn signals when I let the van sit out in sub freezing temperatures. The colder it is, the worse the symptoms, even to the point of causing issues with the right tail side. I purchased the resistors from Super Bright LED's.

Overall, very simple install. I ended up removing the upper black covers above the tail lamps. There, you will have ample surface area to mount the resistors. I drilled into the body, and mounted the resistors using self tapping sheet metal screws. Reinstalled everything, very clean.

All of the other LED's, including high beams, side markers, front turn signals, and back up lamps are working flawlessly.

#34 ·
I am very familiar with that site. These load resistors can get very hot. Did you make sure no plastic pieces were touching it? Also, did you seal the holes you made in the metal? Sorry... Naval Aviation Corrosion expert here :grin2:

#44 ·
#45 ·
This would imply that the pacifica has a cabin side fuse bus which I was told does not.

Interesting idea though. If it works that would be great.

#48 ·
Please let me know if you do encounter a hyperflash later on or if it good as is.

I might either try the Morimoto XV-F or Your Alla LEDs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EEI9LL2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_vMDRybNBE6AMT?tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-20 or the https://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Ex...eywords=JDM+7443+Red+LED+for+brake+tail+light

This would imply that the pacifica has a cabin side fuse bus which I was told does not.

Interesting idea though. If it works that would be great.
So if the Pacifica doesn't have a Flasher Relay, doesn't that mean the ECU controls the flashing and maybe the ECU can be programmed or set to use LED lights maybe using an aftermarket ECU programmer or something??