2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So back in November I totaled my car with the assistance of a deer. I needed something quickly and bigger than my last one and since I had a hybrid before my mom told me about the Pacifica Hybrid and insisted I would love it. There was only one in town. Went to check it out. Liked the look. Liked the size. Liked it during the very short test drive I got. Didn't get the chance to play around with the features. Decided "what the ****, why not". Purchased a 2018. Didn't drive it over the rest of the weekend. Drove it to work on Monday night. Everything was great for the first 30 minutes.

It started with this high pitched whine when I was going under 30 mph. Kinda sounds like a vacuum that tried to eat a sock and is using all its power to try to get that up. When I would do higher speeds (usually around 70 mph) the whining sound got lower and sounded a lot like metal grinding on metal. Couple hours later the touch screen system started rebooting itself..... every 30 seconds. Finally the weekend came and I had time to take it to the dealer. They kept it for a week and fixed just the touch screen. They couldn't find anything else wrong. Over the next week I had the touch screen system freezing for 3 minutes and the rebooting itself every time I turned on the vehicle. Then I only had the option of leaving my volume at 0 because if I turned it to 1 it would max out the Volume. So no sound or all the sound.

Since then things have only gotten worse. When I sit idled waiting for someone or at a stop light it kicks into its little rev cycle..... which sounds like someone grinding transmission gears in a stick shift they don't know how to drive. The loud metal grinding sounds are so bad I get those looks from people that flat out says "Jesus, take it to the junk yard already". The whining sound under 30 is now loud enough it overpowers anything playing through the speakers under volume level 17. It now also has the metal grinding sound. Same with the higher speeds. There's a stutter when I'm speeding up like I took my foot of the gas and the car starts to slow. Works again when I move my foot away and back to the gas. You can feel the grinding in the floor on the front driver side. My check engine light keeps coming on and going off after a couple hours. My key fob has left the vehicle..... while sitting in my pocket driving down the road.

The touch screen system is its own problem. Won't keep my presets on the radio and every time I turn the car off, next time I turn it on it goes to FM or AM or aux sometimes. Even went to USB a couple times now. Never have anything plugged in to the car though. Likes to forget my Bluetooth settings. It even likes to ignore my settings. I have a slight incline in my drive way. The Automatic Park Brake turns on every time. I have that setting turned off. I did turn on the speed adjusted volume since going to work can take a couple hours sometimes. That's like a fun game of sound roulette. It gets quieter when I speed up about half the time and a whole lot louder than I'd like when I slow down. Some days it's just better to turn the system off.

I've taken it to the dealer a second time. They told me they couldn't find anything wrong with it and all the sounds it makes are "normal". Normal my ass. My last two cars, which were totaled after hitting deer, didn't make sounds as bad as this vehicle does, and I hit those things pretty much head on. I've asked the dealer to just buy this car back but they've pretty much ignored me and the service department treats me like I'm an idiot.

The only thing I can say about this car is DO NOT BUY IT. Here's to hoping for another deer.

·
Registered
477 Posts
...Then I only had the option of leaving my volume at 0 because if I turned it to 1 it would max out the Volume. So no sound or all the sound.

…The whining sound under 30 is now loud enough it overpowers anything playing through the speakers under volume level 17.
So I guess I’m not following you. A volume setting of 1 maxes out the volume so why would you ever make a comparison to the volume level at 17?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Since they don't believe you and it seems to happen so much then video it happening and post it online. Give it a provocative title like "My Chrysler Sucks!!!" and post the link here. I'd like to see it too since I'm skeptical as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are not any normal grinding noises, so record it and let's here it. The drivetrain normally makes a sound like a distant police siren, but it is not irritating.

·
Registered
652 Posts
As a matter of fact, I actually find it pleasing!
Maybe so, but does yours sound like "a vacuum that tried to eat a sock and is using all its power to try to get that up?" I would hope not.

Anyway, 24 hrs since OP posted, their 1st and only post, containing minor discrepancies and no followups. I'm thinking it was either a lame attempt at humor or it's a rival dealer/manufacturer making up disparaging disinformation...

...or it's someone legit with no time for online forums and has a hyper-possessed minivan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did a drive up a mountain today and recorded a bit for those that want to hear what a Pacifica Hybrid sounds like, at speed, both in pure-electric and hybrid modes. There is some odd noise on the recording that is from the phone's dual-mic logic trying to find my voice, it grabs the wind noise and amplifies it. It happens just before passing the Honda and before catching up to the crappy old pickup thingy.
I don't hear any grinding or other issue, but I'm putting this here for reference.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XAjsfXSgkxejJAuB7

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Thank you @fjungman for making a nice comparison video. That looks like an awesome smooth ride for you. Is that road your daily commute....? Lucky you.
Before we jump on the OP for being a troll, please give him some more time, at least until this weekend or next to make a follow up post. You should understand that people have different schedules and priorities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Did a drive up a mountain today and recorded a bit for those that want to hear what a Pacifica Hybrid sounds like, at speed, both in pure-electric and hybrid modes. There is some odd noise on the recording that is from the phone's dual-mic logic trying to find my voice, it grabs the wind noise and amplifies it. It happens just before passing the Honda and before catching up to the crappy old pickup thingy.
I don't hear any grinding or other issue, but I'm putting this here for reference.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XAjsfXSgkxejJAuB7
Noticed your steering wheel doesn’t have the metallic trim or two tone leather but seems to have the limited features.

Didn’t know this steering wheel was an option?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't give a rats behind if you guys are skeptical. Only reason I posted on here is to give people a heads up about the possibility they're gonna get a car with problems. And yeah, not gonna make a **** ton of posts. I work 12 hour nights, hope to get some sleep during the day and still have to deal with all the other daily crap of being an adult. The volume issues I get are hit and miss. It's a game of roulette where my car decides what it does or doesn't want to do any given day. Take from it what you will but I'm not here to appease you.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I don't give a rats behind if you guys are skeptical. Only reason I posted on here is to give people a heads up about the possibility they're gonna get a car with problems. And yeah, not gonna make a **** ton of posts. I work 12 hour nights, hope to get some sleep during the day and still have to deal with all the other daily crap of being an adult. The volume issues I get are hit and miss. It's a game of roulette where my car decides what it does or doesn't want to do any given day. Take from it what you will but I'm not here to appease you.
I’ve eaten a bad apple before.. looked great until I bit into it.

I was very disappointed.

But you know something? I’m a grown up! I understand one bad apple doesn’t mean EVERY apple is rotten.. So I didn’t stop eating apples altogether.. I just got another one.

But thanks for “warning” everyone! Sorry about your experience.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The only thing I can say about this car is DO NOT BUY IT. Here's to hoping for another deer.
Your closing statement of left some of us who have had no problems a little frosted. Perhaps next time, you will recognize that this is a owners' forum for mutual help, and not a place to advocate for boycotts. Please watch for deer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OP sounds like a troll...or a millennial :grin2:
If you're not a troll, then your just an idiot. Life is tougher when you're an idiot.
I had rattling sounds in my Chevy Malibu, brought it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything..then I decided to record the sound and take it back, the dealer loved that i did that and was able to find the issue. Anyone can appreciate a little assistant finding intermittent issues like that, so they're not chasing ghosts.
OR you can just keep whining about phantom noises, most of us here already own a Pacifica, so its a little late for us to take your advise >:)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Sorry to hear of these issues. I am on my second Pacifica and absolutely love it! Hoping you will find the same bliss with the Pacifica as I have! Nothing beats a van, especially a Pacifica!
Good luck! John

·
Registered
492 Posts
Many here have owned their vans for a while. We found, diagnosed, and fixed problems. We've pointed people in the right direction for help. If you can record the problem sounds and post them here we may be able to point you in the right direction. Some dealers and service departments are great, some are definitely not. Many need help to know what to look for in these newer vehicles.

Anything that is mass produced can suffer indidvual samples that are shitty. As Moebius said "I ate a crappy apple once, I didn't assume all apples are crappy." If yours is the bad apple, there are ways to deal with that. Most things can be repaired.

If you would like help, post the recordings. We'll help if we can. Honestly.

Everyone is busy. Everyone. Including those of us here. Everyone here has to "adult". If you want a cookie for doing things you are supposed to do, this is not a suport forum.

You know what's cool though? A bunch of people, who are also busy, posted asking for more information in an attempt to help you. None of them know you. None of them know each other. But they came together to see what little they can give to help with your situation. Isn't that actually very truely cool? It's a tiny sample of the best humanity has to offer. You met that with hostility, anger, and negativity. What a shame. I bet sometimes you wonder why people aren't better to each other.

If you would not like help, and just want to complain, then "message received". Off you go and watch out for deer.

Still here? Ok. Let's have an understanding. You'll find we are far more helpful to people that are kind, curious, and understanding. Far more than someone who comes in and copy/pastes their Facebook rant. We don't care about your Facebook rant. No one here needs "saved" from the evil hybrid van machine. This is an owners forum, for most people here, it's too late to "save" us. Both of your posts are extremely combative and angry. Angry doesn't fix anything. We don't have a manager for you to ask for. Sorry.

We're still willing to help. Bring a few recordings of the problems and a pleasant disposition.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Post of the year

Many here have owned their vans for a while. We found, diagnosed, and fixed problems. We've pointed people in the right direction for help. If you can record the problem sounds and post them here we may be able to point you in the right direction. Some dealers and service departments are great, some are definitely not. Many need help to know what to look for in these newer vehicles.

Anything that is mass produced can suffer indidvual samples that are shitty. As Moebius said "I ate a crappy apple once, I didn't assume all apples are crappy." If yours is the bad apple, there are ways to deal with that. Most things can be repaired.

If you would like help, post the recordings. We'll help if we can. Honestly.

Everyone is busy. Everyone. Including those of us here. Everyone here has to "adult". If you want a cookie for doing things you are supposed to do, this is not a suport forum.

You know what's cool though? A bunch of people, who are also busy, posted asking for more information in an attempt to help you. None of them know you. None of them know each other. But they came together to see what little they can give to help with your situation. Isn't that actually very truely cool? It's a tiny sample of the best humanity has to offer. You met that with hostility, anger, and negativity. What a shame. I bet sometimes you wonder why people aren't better to each other.

If you would not like help, and just want to complain, then "message received". Off you go and watch out for deer.

Still here? Ok. Let's have an understanding. You'll find we are far more helpful to people that are kind, curious, and understanding. Far more than someone who comes in and copy/pastes their Facebook rant. We don't care about your Facebook rant. No one here needs "saved" from the evil hybrid van machine. This is an owners forum, for most people here, it's too late to "save" us. Both of your posts are extremely combative and angry. Angry doesn't fix anything. We don't have a manager for you to ask for. Sorry.

We're still willing to help. Bring a few recordings of the problems and a pleasant disposition.

I would like to nominate this as POST OF THE YEAR. So VERY well said...…...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts