2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning someone cut in front of me and slammed on the brakes to make a right turn. It all happened so fast. Immediately the dash lit up and, I as got to the brakes, the van was already in full braking. In fact when I hit the brakes they felt funny because they were already applied and the van had slowed enough to avoid a collision. Amazing!

No doubt about it. The Collision Avoidance worked flawlessly and paid for itself in this one instance. So if you are on the fence whether to get it or not, get it. It works.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
This morning someone cut in front of me and slammed on the brakes to make a right turn. It all happened so fast. Immediately the dash lit up and, I as got to the brakes, the van was already in full braking. In fact when I hit the brakes they felt funny because they were already applied and the van had slowed enough to avoid a collision. Amazing!

No doubt about it. The Collision Avoidance worked flawlessly and paid for itself in this one instance. So if you are on the fence whether to get it or not, get it. It works.
Correction. It paid for itself 100 times over. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Glad to hear it worked as well.

This was one reason why we decided to get the Pacifica and this option.

·
Registered
2020 Luxury White Pearl Pacifica Touring L Plus
46 Posts
Glad it worked as intended for you!

I've been too 'chicken' to test this yet. Not sure if I'll ever have the guts to willingly roll towards another car without braking.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
238 Posts
It is great to know that this important safety feature works as advertised. But we have to remember, the manual rightly says not to try to test the Collision Avoidance System. There is just too much at stake.

Closest I came to trying to test this system is the ACC system. When I first got the vehicle I loved the adaptive cruise, but was scared to allow it to bring the vehicle to a complete stop behind the traffic ahead. I finally got the nerve to allow the system to bring the car to a stop, with my foot an inch from the brake pedal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is great to know that this important safety feature works as advertised. But we have to remember, the manual rightly says not to try to test the Collision Avoidance System. There is just too much at stake.

Closest I came to trying to test this system is the ACC system. When I first got the vehicle I loved the adaptive cruise, but was scared to allow it to bring the vehicle to a complete stop behind the traffic ahead. I finally got the nerve to allow the system to bring the car to a stop, with my foot an inch from the brake pedal.
I found it to be disconcerting to wait that long to brake or coast. LOL
I slowly adjusting to it.

·
Super Moderator
238 Posts
I found it to be disconcerting to wait that long to brake or coast. LOL
I slowly adjusting to it.
Are you referring to the ACC in general, or allowing it to come to a stop? In general, I have the distance set at the 2 bars level. I have not had any issues with it adapting to the traffic speed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
@Hilltoppper, what speed were you at when the CA kicked in ?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let everyone know, this was not a test! This driver is too chicken to make any kind of test as well. This is the Collision Avoicance system in this case. I do not use ACC except on an expressway

I had just pulled away from a traffic light so I was likely at 25-30 MPH or so. The posted limit is 45 in that area so that is a guess. The event happened at the next block an bit further than a regular city block. It all happened so fast I cannot say where the other driver came from. By the time everything was recovered, I was maybe 20 feet from the rear of the other car which by that time was completing its turn. Heart in throat - prayer of thanksgiving event. I am not sure the other driver had any idea of how close I came to hitting their car.

·
Registered
600 Posts

I agree - all of these systems should be standard - they are that valuable The other one that has saved me is the Rear Cross Traffic Alert. I ignored the beeping once and kept creeping out - the vehicle stopped me as a Corvette went by within inched of my back bumper. I welcome these systems to keep us safe.
Thank you for sharing. John

·
Registered
35 Posts
Let everyone know, this was not a test! This driver is too chicken to make any kind of test as well. This is the Collision Avoicance system in this case. I do not use ACC except on an expressway

I had just pulled away from a traffic light so I was likely at 25-30 MPH or so. The posted limit is 45 in that area so that is a guess. The event happened at the next block an bit further than a regular city block. It all happened so fast I cannot say where the other driver came from. By the time everything was recovered, I was maybe 20 feet from the rear of the other car which by that time was completing its turn. Heart in throat - prayer of thanksgiving event. I am not sure the other driver had any idea of how close I came to hitting their car.
Makes sense and good to know it works. Nobody in their right mind would want to test these things, we'll leave that to FCA engineers in controlled conditions. I think it is designed to work only at low speeds, under 25 or 30 mph.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Makes sense and good to know it works. Nobody in their right mind would want to test these things, we'll leave that to FCA engineers in controlled conditions. I think it is designed to work only at low speeds, under 25 or 30 mph.
I'm fairly sure it works at all speeds. Maybe it can totally prevent the collision more often at lower speeds?:

·
Registered
11 Posts

Mine doesnt work and came on with no one in front of me. ????

·
Super Moderator
238 Posts
How can you say it did not work? Did you have a collision that you feel this feature should have stopped?

If it came on with no vehicles in front of you, did you check that all the sensors for this feature were free from dirt or grease?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Worked flawlessly for me as well when a driver suddenly swervered to my lane. Unfortunately, got rear ended as the driver behind me couldn't apply his brakes fast enough.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my Hybrid for 2 years. It has 25k, vast majority highway miles. I wfh and typically drive cross country a couple of times a year.

I'm a reasonably experienced and spirited driver. Lotsa track days.

The car has intervened many, many times. No detail here, but it's all good once you get used to the alarms. Think you can threshold brake better than a computer and sensors? Think again.

The car's behavior is predictable and consistent, if imperfect. This is about communication, and yes that sounds weird, but once you get to know him...

Reactions: panoguy

·
Registered
2020 Gas Pacifica Touring L+; (prev 2017 Touring L+)
897 Posts
Mine doesnt work and came on with no one in front of me. ????
I had it do that once (no braking action, just "BRAKE!" flashed for about a second on a highway at about 30mph with no one in front of me. I just assumed that it fixated on some small piece of debris that had been kicked up by another vehicle that quickly bounced out of range.

But @Hilltoppper 's experience is a major reason for having a dashcam. @Hilltoppper said
I am not sure the other driver had any idea of how close I came to hitting their car.
Correction: They did not give a d*mn -- their trip was much more important than keeping your underwear clean. But a dashcam would have helped to prove that they made the unsafe move if you had hit that car.

Insurance companies love to wiggle. I was driving in the center lane when the left lane suddenly stopped. A car successfully stopped behind them, but was rammed from behind by a third car, and he veered a bit into my lane as he was slammed in the stopped car, clipping the sliding door. The third car (actually a big pickup) then took off. But the 2nd car's insurance refused to pay off because the police report said he was hit from behind causing him to hit me. I did not need it, but the dashcam would have proved I was steady in my lane. Unfortunately, for the 2nd driver, it was not clear which of the passing vehicles was the one that hit him. [BTW, I was driving a rental because my 2017 was in shop and I had taken the CDW because I was driving into Manhattan -- so it was between Enterprise and that insurance company and I did not have to worry.]

·
Registered
154 Posts
+1, +1 +1... plus its radar based system and will works at night, during fog, heavy rain, etc...

Unfortunately, I have yet to see other Pacifica around town with this option... The tell-tale is the dark circular radome in the front grille...

But such super-braking capabilities increase your chances of being super-rear ended, especially so by compulsive tailgaters and/or distracted drivers...

G.-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts