2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what level 2 chargers are you all using from home? Does anyone else use a NEMA 10-30 outlet? I'm hoping to purchase from Amazon but the number of choices and various prices are really confusing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you already have a NEMA 10-30 outlet in the garage or where you will charge? If so, then just search on "EVSE NEMA 10-30" and find one that matches with good reviews.

If you do not have a 220v outlet already, you need to get one and that opens a lot of choices.

I have one of the ~$160-$200 EVSE's and it seems to work fine (I have NEMA 6-20).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. I have one in the garage already. I'd be getting a 14-50 installed if I didn't. There are so many reviews and even the ones with good reviews have questionable English in the item descriptions. I figured I would check out what everyone else is using.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Pretty much a holy war on brands. I have an ugly but commercial GE DuraStation (was onsale so I got pretty inexpensively). For our primary house, when we purchased an EVSE there were less options and only the "named" brand EVSEs out there (JuiceBox/GE/ChargePoint/Siemens/ClipperCreek) so the safe choice is to pick one of these.

Some of the price difference in these EVSEs is if it has a timer/wifi/PhoneApp/LCD panel/KW Usage/Cord Length/cable management (wrap cord around it). As mentioned, I bought a "dumb" GE DuraStation as I really didn't care, has one LED light that changes/flashes color to tell you when charging or not and it has worked fine for 3 years now.

I will say that we bought a beach place and was in the same boat, wanted a new EVSE but and saw all the sub $200 versions. I picked up a Morec branded one with the poor English manual and it seems pretty solid (after I fixed the breaker it was attached to - see other thread).

If I was doing it again, I think would still buy one of the "named" brand "dumb" ones for every day use.

Only caveat is if your Power company gives you a discount (time-of-use (TOU)) for charging at certain times (1AM - 5AM for example. The van has a scheduler in it that worked fine on our 2017 but I know some people had an issue and got a smart EVSE to do the scheduling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So what level 2 chargers are you all using from home? Does anyone else use a NEMA 10-30 outlet? I'm hoping to purchase from Amazon but the number of choices and various prices are really confusing.
I have a nema 14-50. It's what my Nissan leaf charger uses(comes with the car) for level 2, so that's what I'm forced to use. It seems that nema 14-50 is going to be the standard for ev charging since it can handle 50A.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a nema 14-50. It's what my Nissan leaf charger uses(comes with the car) for level 2, so that's what I'm forced to use. It seems that nema 14-50 is going to be the standard for ev charging since it can handle 50A.
Here stated he already has a NEMA 10-30 so I don't think there is any ROI for running new wire for a 14-50.

·
Registered
557 Posts
We put in a Juicebox with a Nema 14-50 in March of '17. There were far fewer options then. Our power cost is the same at all times, so I don't use any of the wifi/app options built into that unit. It works every time. We never really think about it anymore. Park, plug in, gpo inside. Go out to van, unplug, leave. It's just the routine, and we pretty much always have full electricity. I put in a cheap hanger from Home Depot to manage the cord.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had a Siemens VersiCharge for six years, the version that plugs into a 6-50 outlet. I have never had any kind of issue with it. At my old house I actually used a 6-50 welding extension cable to reposition the unit so that I could access the EVSE more easily after reconfiguring my garage. I'm sure that's not recommended, but it worked just fine for about three years. I know this wouldn't work for you without an adapter, just sharing my experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got a ChargePoint in October 2018. They were (probably still are) among the more expensive models. I found an Amazon Warehouse deal. Was presumably a returned unit, but everything was brand new, unused. Saved hundreds of $$$ off the regular price.

Worked without any issue until last week. For some reason, it wouldn't charge. Flipped the breaker off/on. Works again. Perhaps a power outage or something messed it up temporarily?

I recommend it (at the discounted price, anyway). As I type, I see $350 off for an Amazon Warehouse deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Siemens VersiCharge, love it. Zero issues.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I got a ChargePoint in October 2018. They were (probably still are) among the more expensive models. I found an Amazon Warehouse deal. Was presumably a returned unit, but everything was brand new, unused. Saved hundreds of $$$ off the regular price.

Worked without any issue until last week. For some reason, it wouldn't charge. Flipped the breaker off/on. Works again. Perhaps a power outage or something messed it up temporarily?

I recommend it (at the discounted price, anyway). As I type, I see $350 off for an Amazon Warehouse deal.
Maybe it ground-faulted and the only way to reset it is to power cycle it. Just a guess...

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Touring, 3/20, build, Velvet Red Pearl, nav, power tailgate, 4Knines cargo mat
34 Posts
We bought a Leviton unit way back in 2012 for our first EV, a Nissan LEAF, and it has served flawlessly and continuously ever since. It plugs into a dryer-style wall outlet so we can take it with us should we ever move.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a Clippercreek that has served us well for charging multiple cars over the last 6 years. I checked to see if they have a NEMA 10-30 version, they do not but did have specific information on using that type of outlet. I quote it below for your information regardless of what charger you choose:

"ClipperCreek does not manufacture any electric vehicle charging stations with the NEMA 10-30 plug as the corresponding receptacle (outlet) for this plug type is typically wired with a neutral wire as opposed to an earth ground and all of our models require an earth ground connection in order to operate properly. Additionally, when charging an electric vehicle the ground is passed through to the vehicle from the station for safety earth grounding during charging. If a neutral is used instead of a ground the neutral could generate a charge on the vehicle chassis, creating a potential safety hazard upon contact with the vehicle during or after charging. For these safety reasons we do not offer an EVSE with the NEMA 10-30 plug and it would not be advised to utilize any of our EVSEs with a NEMA 10-30 adapter.
If you have a NEMA 10-30 receptacle you would like to use for a ClipperCreek EVSE it would be recommended to have an electrician re-purpose the NEMA 10-30 receptacle into a NEMA 14-30 receptacle"

I do note that Tesla has a NEMA 10-30 adaptor for their home charger.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Keep in mind:
1) The charger is actually built into the car(s). The so-called chargers are actually control units that supply raw 115V or 260V to the car and perform control and safety sensing (just like a Ground Fault Isolator in a bathroom receptacle). The control unit communicates with the car before sending raw power and tell the car what current level to run its charger at.
2) The car's charger is limited to 30 amp maximum. Paying for a 40 amp level 2 "charger" is a waste of money unless you plan on getting a future car thats built in charger is 40 amp.

FYI: The Chrysler supplied level 1 "charger" can work on 230V. I believe they designed the internal electronics to be compatible with all European voltages. As I noted above this is just control electronics. You can find posts on using the supplied level 1 charger on 230v which halves the charge time. I do this at my vacation house.

·
Registered
311 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Siemens VersiCharge is how I roll.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Clipper creek is a top notch customer service focused and USA made company
I second the advice , have an electrician change out the outlet if possible to a more common outlet . Pick out an evse after talking with the electrician and clipper creek or have your electrician call them , great phone tech support !

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I'm very happy with my OpenEVSE. I hard wired it though, I'm not excited about running 30A for hours through a connector, especially out here in Hawaii where everything corrodes.
OT question. I notice on your sig line you call your Pacifica Pearl White. Is that a new color or do you actually have Luxury White?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts