2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone:
What's the situation with Mopar not able to stock an adequate number of Level 2 chargers? Loyal customers want to pay extra to have the Mopar brand, but the company that makes them, Webasco Charging Systems, Inc. is having trouble filling their orders.
Is there another brand that's approved by Chrysler for the Pacifica? Repeated calls to the parts department keeps making excuses for Webasco. Somewhere in the supplier chain things are broken. Has anyone else had this problem?

John

·
Registered
400 Posts
Buy the Siemens at Costco. Better charger for less money.
Yep. I’m using a Siemens with my PacHy and it works like a charm. No need to stay loyal to the Mopar brand. You’ll get just as good or better performance with any one of the various brands that are out there. In reality, the EVSE is nothing more than a glorified switch that simply supplies current to the vehicle being charged. It does nothing on its own to control the amount of charge received. The smarts for that are mostly in the vehicle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We have the Siemens and it works great. An added feature is the up to 8-hour charging delay built into the Siemens. We have never set up the onboard charging schedule, never needed to with the Siemens charger.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ya, the mopar is just a 3rd party unit with a mopar sticker on it + their mark-up. No real need to stick with this one at all - unless you managed to get it bundled in with the vehicle or something.

Any J1722 charger should work just find, and other manufacturers may have additional features that interest you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I try to stay with what the dealer recommended. When we bought the car, he showed me the Mopar brand unit. When I took my other car for service, I inquired with the Service Manager and the service bay also had a Mopar unit. So why do people like Mopar? Because IT'S MADE IN AMERICA!!! Most people like it ( I hope) when someone says we need to keep the jobs in America. But words need to be practiced by deed.

Too old fashioned, one might say. There's another company out there, Clipper Creek, who makes chargers for all cars, they're inexpensive and they're made in America. That's what we did. We try to stick with the American product. We do the best we can and, when they are all made overseas, then well, we'll have to buy the foreign product. By then though, the nation will be thoroughly saturated with foreigners who don't care about their neighbors. Maybe that's what we have now.

Anyway, Thanks for responding.

John

·
Registered
563 Posts
Emotorwerks (makers of JuiceBox) also builds their stuff in the US. I have a JuiceBox Pro 40 and it works flawlessly. I was most impressed by their customer service. I emailed them and asked them if they could make me one with a custom length power cord and they were happy to do so.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Emotorwerks (makers of JuiceBox) also builds their stuff in the US. I have a JuiceBox Pro 40 and it works flawlessly. I was most impressed by their customer service. I emailed them and asked them if they could make me one with a custom length power cord and they were happy to do so.
Or, if you are a tinkerer you can build your own:

https://www.openevse.com

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I try to stay with what the dealer recommended. When we bought the car, he showed me the Mopar brand unit.
The whole point is you can charge from any charger.. This is like worrying that gas stations use fuel nozzles made by Mopar!

The SAE J1772 standard ensures it works with all SAE J1772 complaint vehicles..

Brand loyalty in this case is just paying more for less IMO which is any sellers dream - of course they recommend it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The whole point is you can charge from any charger.. This is like worrying that gas stations use fuel nozzles made by Mopar!

The SAE J1772 standard ensures it works with all SAE J1772 complaint vehicles..

Brand loyalty in this case is just paying more for less IMO which is any sellers dream - of course they recommend it.
This is so right. As I mentioned before and I’m sure m0ebius604 understands, the EVSE is merely a glorified switch that simply supplies current to the vehicle. The vehicle has all the smarts to set the proper charge rate etc.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well I would go as far to say that all the smarts are in van , compare feature to feature and that’s why I bought a pro 40 juice box , the combination of the van and pro 40 make for a efficient, smart charging and logical choice .

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Too old fashioned, one might say. There's another company out there, Clipper Creek, who makes chargers for all cars, they're inexpensive and they're made in America. That's what we did. We try to stick with the American product. We do the best we can and, when they are all made overseas, then well, we'll have to buy the foreign product. By then though, the nation will be thoroughly saturated with foreigners who don't care about their neighbors. Maybe that's what we have now.
As an immigrant myself, I disagree with this ridiculous statement . This country was build by foreigners who came here to become Americans. No need to venture far for examples. Pacifica was designed by a "foreigner" and mentioned in this thread company that builds the popular Juicebox is run by a "foreigner".

·
Registered
64 Posts
Level 2 choices

Agreed, any level two charger will work, and the brand really doesn’t matter to your car. I also chose the Juicebox pro 40 based on the recent Costco sale and the ability to charge even faster for whatever car you plug-in. If a vehicle only accepts 30 amp then it will charge at that level, if it accepts 40 am, it will charge at that level. So I consider it a better buy up front for whatever plugins are in my future in my garage.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Funniest thought of the day: someone who says they needs to have a made in America charger for a foreign made vehicle. Pachybrid is made in Canada:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Addressing all who have may interest in 3 hour charging: I am using the 16amp 220V charger available from several vendors on eBay. I already had two of the 20amp 220 plugs in my garage for heaters and could easily spare one. The charger I have shows a current level when operating of 15 amps (16 when not) and records total kwh. No issues at all, charger power block stays cool to the touch, full charge only takes 3 hours, and cost was only $150. This level of 220 service only takes a 12 wire as well as a 20amp switch so cost is low. I have been well pleased in every way with this solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Addressing all who have may interest in 3 hour charging: I am using the 16amp 220V charger available from several vendors on eBay. I already had two of the 20amp 220 plugs in my garage for heaters and could easily spare one. The charger I have shows a current level when operating of 15 amps (16 when not) and records total kwh. No issues at all, charger power block stays cool to the touch, full charge only takes 3 hours, and cost was only $150. This level of 220 service only takes a 12 wire as well as a 20amp switch so cost is low. I have been well pleased in every way with this solution.

What type of charger did you purchase a d where ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
15 Participants
PacDave
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing