2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I open the liftgate on my Pac while in the garage with the garage door up, it hits the garage door opening and, consequently, the bottom of the garage door (metal). It's a standard garage door opening with a standard garage door and I never had this issue, even with my much higher Mazda CX-9 before. It actually scratched the paint on the liftgate and I took it to the dealer to see if it could be repaired and they indicated that they are seeing this issue and with much worse damage. Has anyone else here encountered the same problem? I added foam (pipe insulation) to the bottom of my garage door, in case I forget and open the back while in the garage again but it truly sucks to have to take the van out of the garage to load and unload from the back.

Does anyone know if the opening height of the liftgate is something that can be adjustable? TIA

·
Registered
562 Posts
The liftgate isn’t adjustable, but your garage door may be. I’ve readjusted mine so that it opens as high as possible. It now clears the tailgate by about an inch.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The liftgate isn’t adjustable, but your garage door may be. I’ve readjusted mine so that it opens as high as possible. It now clears the tailgate by about an inch.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will have someone look at that possibility.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Assuming you have an automatic garage door opener, it should be adjustable to increase the travel distance, effectively raising the door a little more by pulling it up the track a little further before stopping the door. It's what I had to do and thankfully it was just enough to give that needed clearance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Assuming you have an automatic garage door opener, it should be adjustable to increase the travel distance, effectively raising the door a little more by pulling it up the track a little further before stopping the door. It's what I had to do and thankfully it was just enough to give that needed clearance.
Thank you so much for the info! This has been a real thorn on my side. I'm so glad I asked the question. I will call my garage door company tonight!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Beside adjusting the garage door opener travel, you should also adjust your stopping point in the garage. Our previous van (Quest) was short enough that we could open the lift gate with garage door shut, but we pulled deep into the garage to do this.

Unfortunately the Pacifica is too long to do this, so we have to have the garage door open when raising the lift gate. I found an exact spot where, with the garage door open, the lift gate could raise all the way up without hitting the garage door crossbeams, etc. This turned out to be a little back from the spot we used to stop. I use a cork (a rich cabernet works best:wink2:) hanging from a string that touches the windshield - and pull in until I just bump the cork. This ensures that I stop at the exact same spot each time.

It is unfortunate Chrysler did not include adjustable height for the lift gate, tho.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beside adjusting the garage door opener travel, you should also adjust your stopping point in the garage. Our previous van (Quest) was short enough that we could open the lift gate with garage door shut, but we pulled deep into the garage to do this.

Unfortunately the Pacifica is too long to do this, so we have to have the garage door open when raising the lift gate. I found an exact spot where, with the garage door open, the lift gate could raise all the way up without hitting the garage door crossbeams, etc. This turned out to be a little back from the spot we used to stop. I use a cork (a rich cabernet works best:wink2:) hanging from a string that touches the windshield - and pull in until I just bump the cork. This ensures that I stop at the exact same spot each time.

It is unfortunate Chrysler did not include adjustable height for the lift gate, tho.
Ha! It sounds like you might have a deeper garage than mine and a bit more flexibility. I'm boring and I have to use the good ol' parking sensors and I must stop as soon as that yellow light come on and the van is barely in and I have just enough room to walk in front of the van to get in the house. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not to rag on Chrysler too much but they should have made it not open as much... I too am going to attempt to adjust my new (well almost 4 years old now) garage door so it opens more but the standard height garage door is 7 feet and mine is literally a sheet paper thickness away from hitting. If you bump it, it hits. You'd think they'd make it literally 1" or 1/2" away from 7 feet? I didn't have the luxury of building an 8' garage door when I build my new house or I would have!

Rant over.

Thanks!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Not to rag on Chrysler too much but they should have made it not open as much... I too am going to attempt to adjust my new (well almost 4 years old now) garage door so it opens more but the standard height garage door is 7 feet and mine is literally a sheet paper thickness away from hitting. If you bump it, it hits. You'd think they'd make it literally 1" or 1/2" away from 7 feet? I didn't have the luxury of building an 8' garage door when I build my new house or I would have!

Rant over.

Thanks!
Just for reference, my garage door height measures 7' even from floor to framed/trimmed door opening. My garage door is adjusted such that the bottom edge of the door is slightly above the door opening. The van is parked such that there is about 2" clearance between the rear bumper and the inside garage door hinge when the garage door is closed. When the lift gate is fully open there is an inch or so clearance to the garage door frame/trim. The rear wiper arm appears to be the highest point. The wiper arm falls just inside the garage. It looks like it might contact the door frame/trim if I attempted to back up with the hatch open. If the van was pulled further in the garage I think there would be more clearance to the garage door due to the angle of the lift gate.

So, perhaps the Chrysler engineers really did think about this and designed the lift gate to open as high as possible while still fitting under a standard 7' high garage door. Or maybe I'm just lucky it fits in my situation:smile2:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Comments from the Tall Side: I am 6' 3". I kept banging my head on the tailgate of my Odyssey. No such problem with the Pacifica! Thank you, Chrysler, for thinking of me! Your designers are the best! :smile2:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hmmm....I'm intrigued. Awaiting my ordered van. I always back up into my garage - wondering if I will need to remove the shelving unit that is behind where I currently park my Toyota Sienna (and open up the tailgate fully).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Comments from the Tall Side: I am 6' 3". I kept banging my head on the tailgate of my Odyssey. No such problem with the Pacifica! Thank you, Chrysler, for thinking of me! Your designers are the best! :smile2:
I feel your pain. I' 6' 6", a bit too tall for even the Pacifica gate. Also, my garage opener caps at about 6'8". We have a true city garage!

A little trick if you have the automatic lift gate... hold the button on the back of the van and it will beep at you and then open manually. I am lucky enough that where the garage and the car meet is the hub for the rear wiper blade and it doesn't appear to cause damage.

·
Registered
920 Posts

"...I use a cork (a rich cabernet works best:wink2:)..." :grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
A little trick if you have the automatic lift gate... hold the button on the back of the van and it will beep at you and then open manually. I am lucky enough that where the garage and the car meet is the hub for the rear wiper blade and it doesn't appear to cause damage.
You can use the automatic opener and then stop the liftgate with your hand before it reaches the top if needed if you are concerned about the liftgate hitting at the top of the garage door.

You can turn the beep (alert) off using the touchscreen setting under U apps, settings, "Doors and Locks" if you find it too loud or annoying. I was so relieved to get rid of that alert. I know that some people like the alert, but I found it very annoying and didn't need it in my situation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Appreciate the thread for the idea of adjusting the garage door height in the absence of a lift gate adjustment. I now have about two inches of clearance thanks to having the garage door pull itself up and in a bit more.

Further, being on a step stool while adjusting the garage door revealed some undisclosed damage to the van's roof - a slightly larger than softball-sized dent with three slightly curved scratches in the paint that I am absolutely certain did not occur after I took delivery. There's no place I park where anything remotely like that could have happened.

Have called the dealer to see if anyone will admit to knowing about this before the sale and/or if they will just take responsibility and fix it, but having found it four days after signing all the papers (in the face of a somewhat contentious purchase process in the first place), I'm not sure what recourse I have if they try to say it wasn't there before. But at the very least I can touch up the scratches to ensure they don't become a corrosion problem later, so I guess that's something.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My liftgate hit the door too - but its an easy fix even with a 7ft door

I was super annoyed when we brought our custom ordered 2018 Pacifica Limited with all the bells and whistles pulled into the garage and opened the tailgate and it hit the door! :mad:

After finding this thread I went out and adjusted my 7ft garage door today to the maximum height afterwards it was high enough. I mean I had to MAX IT OUT(the garage door open limit). After that I got sidetracked lubing the door and also adjusted the downlimit so it opens nice and quiet and smooth like new again. Anyways I thought I'd share pics show it is close but possible to open the tailgate without it hitting a 7ft garage door. :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Hmmm....I'm intrigued. Awaiting my ordered van. I always back up into my garage - wondering if I will need to remove the shelving unit that is behind where I currently park my Toyota Sienna (and open up the tailgate fully).

I found this the perfect solution (for a potential problem) for me, but usually reverse park into the garage and never noticed a problem. One time I forward parked and found the garage door mechanisms too close to the liftgate for comfort.
I suggest that those who are having this issue try reverse parking if you haven’t tried it already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
810 Posts
I found this the perfect solution (for a potential problem) for me, but usually reverse park into the garage and never noticed a problem. One time I forward parked and found the garage door mechanisms too close to the liftgate for comfort.
I suggest that those who are having this issue try reverse parking if you haven’t tried it already.

It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway. If you are parked facing out, you have to be even more careful than ever to not idle the van inside the garage -- start & get out

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway. If you are parked facing out, you have to be even more careful than ever to not idle the van inside the garage -- start & get out

Absolutely correct. I never idle the car in the garage. Thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm 6'2" and (if I don't duck) will always hit my forehead on the liftgate when parking on flat and level ground. How can you be 6'3" and clear it? Is my liftgate defective? Can anyone else confirm a 6'3" clearance? This has always been a major gripe coming from a Lexus RX hybrid where I had plenty of clearance when the tailgate was open.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts