2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get an idea of what these Pacificas are going to cost us in repairs after warranty until about 100,000 miles? I realize it is impossible to know what repairs your van will need, but I would be interested in know what repairs people have had on their minivans and what those costs? Especially, those who have higher mileages already.

I am asking because I am looking at purchasing an extended warranty. My Pacifica is a 2018 Touring L with 32,000 miles on it. We are quickly approaching 36,000. I read through the warranty forums and followed the good advice to look at www.chryslerfactoryplans.com. The costs for a warranty is about $2800 for a 7 year/100,000 with $100 deductible.

This leads to the question, how likely is it that the van will need over $3000 in repairs from 36,000 to 100,000 miles? The warranty does not cover wear parts (like brakes and fluids), so I am asking about covered repair items. I have never owned a Chrysler, so I have no experience with their repairs.

So far, the only repairs I have with the van have been the auxiliary battery failing (resulting in the auto-shutoff not working), and later the main battery dying. Both batteries were replaced under warranty.

It would be interesting to start a thread on what repairs people are needing and what they cost.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
663 Posts
Extended warranties are a gamble. You may win, or the seller of the warranty may win. There is no way to tell what parts on a vehicle may fail after the manufacturer's warranty expires.

Just be sure you are fully aware of exactly what will be covered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Extended warranties are a gamble. You may win, or the seller of the warranty may win. There is no way to tell what parts on a vehicle may fail after the manufacturer's warranty expires.

Just be sure you are fully aware of exactly what will be covered.
I total agree. But if you have an idea of what other people's repair experience is, then you have a better idea of your odds. There are people on this forum with mileages over 60,000 or have owned other Chryslers/Dodges/Jeeps that have repair experience they can share.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am trying to get an idea of what these Pacificas are going to cost us in repairs after warranty until about 100,000 miles? I realize it is impossible to know what repairs your van will need, but I would be interested in know what repairs people have had on their minivans and what those costs? Especially, those who have higher mileages already.

I am asking because I am looking at purchasing an extended warranty. My Pacifica is a 2018 Touring L with 32,000 miles on it. We are quickly approaching 36,000. I read through the warranty forums and followed the good advice to look at www.chryslerfactoryplans.com. The costs for a warranty is about $2800 for a 7 year/100,000 with $100 deductible.

This leads to the question, how likely is it that the van will need over $3000 in repairs from 36,000 to 100,000 miles? The warranty does not cover wear parts (like brakes and fluids), so I am asking about covered repair items. I have never owned a Chrysler, so I have no experience with their repairs.

So far, the only repairs I have with the van have been the auxiliary battery failing (resulting in the auto-shutoff not working), and later the main battery dying. Both batteries were replaced under warranty.

It would be interesting to start a thread on what repairs people are needing and what they cost.
Sorry I cant comment on what the repairs will cost, but I have a couple other comments.
1. You can get the same warranty for about $600 less at www.chrysler-factory-warranty.com
2. The 12V aux battery failing and taking out the main battery is a common problem, which I had on my new 2019, and was covered under warranty. As the batteries are only covered for 2 years, they wont be covered by even the max care extended warranty, and they are the most likely failure to occur again. Many have removed the aux battery in order to disable the auto stop start and to prevent the premature failure of the main battery. If they do fail, it will cost about $500 to replace both batteries at the dealer, less if you go to autozone.!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I personally lean towards no, especially since you have a 2018, the 2017 seemed to have a few teething issues. The things that will cost you like suspension, brakes, tires are not covered. You need to keep and not crash the car for 7 years. Finally, 3k can you a lot of repair work at an independent shop. What I do right when the bumper to bumper warranty is about to run out go though the van with a fine tooth comb, get everything you can fixed and then let it ride.

Reactions: mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I personally lean towards no, especially since you have a 2018, the 2017 seemed to have a few teething issues. The things that will cost you like suspension, brakes, tires are not covered. You need to keep and not crash the car for 7 years. Finally, 3k can you a lot of repair work at an independent shop. What I do right when the bumper to bumper warranty is about to run out go though the van with a fine tooth comb, get everything you can fixed and then let it ride.
I am leaning towards no. Like you said, the warranty does not cover any of the wear items and $3000 can cover a decent number of typical repairs. Though, it is possible to hit $3000 real quick if something big breaks.

Another thing to consider is that there is a limited powertrain warranty that covers most of the engine, transmission, and drive train that last 5 years/60,000. So you are covered longer on those big items.

I was just hoping to learn if other owners have experienced expensive repairs after 36,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
663 Posts
With any vehicle you are going to fine someone who did run into a transmission problem after warranty, or some other major repair. On the newer cars like the Pacifica, I guess one thing you might want extra protection for would be all the electronics/advance safety tech. So if you do go with an extended warranty, be sure you know exactly what is covered. Also factor in any deductible.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Although it is hard to know exactly how many unforeseen problems you will have, thus the cost, the following is why I bought plans on my two FCA US LLC(Chrysler) vehicles. You might want to consider some of these things.

Although I loved both my Jeep Grand Cherokee and Chrysler Pacifica, I knew that the odds, based on consumer reports, were a lot higher for a costly repair than something like a Toyota or Subaru. So, I got the plan for both. You definitely know the best place to buy your Plan www.chryslerfactoryplans.com. Bob Cline, the guy that runs that department, and the whole Zeigler Auto Group family is fantastic, totally honest and upfront. I wish here in Florida there was such a dealer. Also, remember a perk that you can immediately use for some of Chrysler's plans is a free loaner for any maintenance service. This includes oil changes. It took some work to make my dealer in Florida understand the plan as well as follow through and submit the claims. But, my dealer knew me and made sure to always have a car ready for me. I never, not once, had to wait for my Jeep GC or Chrysler Pacifica to get an oil change.

Consumer reports still shows the 2020 Pacifica with a predicted reliability of 1 out of 5, their lowest rating. If it was me, I would buy the extended warranty. They generally say that in the long run warranty plans do not save one money. But, I feel peace of mind is worth something as well. Also, Chrysler offers a payment plan for their warranties. My current car is a Subaru and I do not have an extended warranty for it.

I just found out the 2021 model has an All-Wheel Drive option as well. This is a whole new system I believe. This might be another good reason to get it, but keep in mind the drive-train warranty may extend longer than the bumper to bumper.

Service intervals are at 10,000. The first three are free I think, but regardless, they are like $100 including Synthetic Oil (standard now). The scheduled maintenance on a Subaru or Toyota is much more.

Also, when I had to trade my Pacifica in recently they, Chrysler and "Chrysler Factory Plans",(Zeigler Auto Group) refunded the majority of the initial cost.

I had no initial problems with my Pacifica and even though I had it only for a little over a year, I had zero problems. The hybrid's milage was totally awesome and I have a total lead foot. I really feel Chrysler continues to improve inside and out.

Reactions: mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
The question that's being asked seems to be Total Ownership Cost (TOC). Most consumers have no clue what this is and often don't consider it when making a major purchase. Just to be up front, as has been stated on this forum many times, the Pacifica is a looser as far as TOC. But as stated above, most of us buy these vans for reasons other than it's TOC. All that being said, I'm pretty sure FCA has reliability data on these vans somewhere in their corporate labyrinth but it would take a really concerted effort to get them to share it. Even if you could get it I'm pretty sure it would take a reliability engineer to parse it out.

The rule of thumb for any system of systems is, the more complex the system the greater the potential for failures. For example, the hybrid Pacificas seem to have more problems than the gas powered Pacificas as evidenced on this forum. Keep in mind, not all 'failures' are catastrophic, a lot of them result in degraded performance. Most of the issues the Pacifica has is in it's electronic systems. Personally, I haven't seen too many exclusively mechanical failures reported on this forum. As stated above, an extended warranty is like any other insurance; you hate to pay for it but if you ever need it it's a real cost saver. I would buy an extended warranty if my van had a lot of warranty work done prior to the dealer warranty expiring. I don't buy an extended warranty until near the end of the dealer warranty and I have a long way to go before I have to make that decision.

·
Registered
2019 Pacifica Touring L
80 Posts

The expensive repairs involve the transmission or engine. The power train/drivetrain warranty does not expire at 3/36k!! I have seen no evidence that either will fail in under 150k mi. My Chrysler vans rust out before the engine wears out. The getrag 9 speed appears to be more reliable than the crap 6spd in the earlier generation van. If I had a 2017 model I would consider it. They have buggy electronics that got ironed out in later years. Some of these intermittent failures involve time and material troubleshooting that can get real expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts