2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a Pacifica Hybrid and am wondering about limits to EV mode.

I know it can’t go over 75 mph, but what about up super steep, and long, hills? We live up a really steep .5 mile hill (paved of course) and it occurred to me that it might trip the gas engine going up.

Does anyone have any idea if that will happen, or if the EV mode will stay engaged?

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Advanced Safetytec, No Sunroof, white exterior, Alloy Seats
84 Posts
I am retired and rarely in a hurry so I don't drive my van over 75mph very often, but the 75mph is not a hard limit. It can easily go over 75mph on electric on even a slight downgrade. I drive from my home at 520' altitude to the San Diego Airport which is maybe 15' above sea level and 40 miles away completely on battery power, and I don't always keep it below 75mph. The van usually switches to hybrid mode after the pick up or drop off, when I am exiting the airport somewhere before I reach the freeway. It climbs hills for me on battery with no problem, but if you try to accelerate quickly the ICE will come on if needed (Internal Combustion Engine). Using the ICE occasionally is not a bad thing. You need to use the ICE periodically to keep it lubricated and in good condition. In fact, if you don't use the ICE for several months, the van will automatically enter FORM mode (Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode) where it runs the ICE even if the battery is full. The van will stay in FORM mode until the oil temperature has reached about 200F for a couple minutes and/or until you have used any old gasoline in the tank.

·
Registered
221 Posts
There's a steep 1/2 mile long hill near my house that is 50mph speed limit (gets steeper before the crest). It gains about 400ft elevation in that half mile. Math says it's about 10% grade.

The PACHY feels pretty gutless in EV mode when tackling hills or even flat roads at basically any speed over 20mph. With just me in the van I can barely BARELY hold 50mph up the hill, and that's in summer with warm temps (i.e. best possible scenario). In Winter there's no way to keep it in EV up that hill even with the heater off. With any other passenger or cargo in the van I can't hold 50mph in EV mode up that hill. Typically drop to somewhere between 35 and 40mph if I try to keep it in EV mode with passengers/cargo in the PACHY with me.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
1,022 Posts
I am thinking of buying a Pacifica Hybrid and am wondering about limits to EV mode.

I know it can’t go over 75 mph, but what about up super steep, and long, hills? We live up a really steep .5 mile hill (paved of course) and it occurred to me that it might trip the gas engine going up.

Does anyone have any idea if that will happen, or if the EV mode will stay engaged?
It can do up to 82mph-ish in EV mode. But it is a PHEV and has a gas engine for a reason. The electric drivetrain isn’t designed to be enough in all scenarios. But you’ll find it more than enough in most scenarios. And when you need a little extra, the ICE a will start and fill the gap for as long as it’s needed, then turn off and you’ll be back in EV mode.

·
Registered
2022 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Fathom Blue ordered 10/30/21, built 12/08/21, delivered 12/23/21.
389 Posts
There's a steep 1/2 mile long hill near my house that is 50mph speed limit (gets steeper before the crest). It gains about 400ft elevation in that half mile. Math says it's about 10% grade.

The PACHY feels pretty gutless in EV mode when tackling hills or even flat roads at basically any speed over 20mph. With just me in the van I can barely BARELY hold 50mph up the hill, and that's in summer with warm temps (i.e. best possible scenario). In Winter there's no way to keep it in EV up that hill even with the heater off. With any other passenger or cargo in the van I can't hold 50mph in EV mode up that hill. Typically drop to somewhere between 35 and 40mph if I try to keep it in EV mode with passengers/cargo in the PACHY with me.
This is very interesting to hear as my experience is different in that I find the EV only operation to be quite torquey up to highway speeds on flat roads and moderate hills. I haven't noticed the van starting the ICE even with passengers/cargo unless I stomp the gas or get above 70mph or so assuming there is sufficient battery charge. Yesterday I was driving in some mild congestion where traffic was slowing and then speeding up and I was impressed how quickly I pulled away from others with acceleration in EV mode. I monitor the battery/ICE status regularly while driving and did not see the engine start during this driving. I don't have much experience with steep grades in EV mode so can't speak to that as my driving is primarily gentle grades.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
This is very interesting to hear as my experience is different in that I find the EV only operation to be quite torquey up to highway speeds on flat roads and moderate hills. I haven't noticed the van starting the ICE even with passengers/cargo unless I stomp the gas or get above 70mph or so assuming there is sufficient battery charge. Yesterday I was driving in some mild congestion where traffic was slowing and then speeding up and I was impressed how quickly I pulled away from others with acceleration in EV mode. I monitor the battery/ICE status regularly while driving and did not see the engine start during this driving. I don't have much experience with steep grades in EV mode so can't speak to that as my driving is primarily gentle grades.
I agree with this. The EV drivetrain has gobs of torque and is quite zippy. And the ICE is there if you really need more. But honestly for everyday driving if you need more and the ICE is coming on a lot, maybe adjust your driving style? Unless you're merging onto a freeway and you need a good punch of power, the ICE should pretty much stay off if the battery has charge. If you want gutless go test drive a Sienna.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I agree with this. The EV drivetrain has gobs of torque and is quite zippy. And the ICE is there if you really need more. But honestly for everyday driving if you need more and the ICE is coming on a lot, maybe adjust your driving style? Unless you're merging onto a freeway and you need a good punch of power, the ICE should pretty much stay off if the battery has charge. If you want gutless go test drive a Sienna.
Hahahaa , so true Don’t forget your ear plugs , have had a few people describe it as a banshee screaming ..

·
Registered
221 Posts
I must be driving a different vehicle. :)

0 to 60mph time in EV only mode is well over 10 seconds (maybe 12 to 14 seconds?) which is extremely slow and that's on flat ground.

I can get the tires to spin from a stop most of the time, but once it's over about 20mph there's not much going on as far as acceleration. It does well going down hill though, but I imagine that's because the weight of the vehicle is at advantage in that situation.

On a side note, the other day I was pulling into traffic with the intention of using the ICE (pressing the accelerator pedal down to a little over 75%). The PACHY started for a moment then waiting for ICE to turn on. I sat there for a solid 2 seconds before the vehicle gave me power with the pedal press down. Pretty scary when pulling into traffic and I can't get any power for a full 2 seconds.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
0 to 60mph time in EV only mode is well over 10 seconds (maybe 12 to 14 seconds?) which is extremely slow and that's on flat ground.
So if you need to go 0-60 faster than that, push the pedal down and get the ICE. I don't understand the issue. There are people that want every car to act like a sports car. A sports minivan maybe. If you want a fun drive, buy a used Miata. Why would you want to spin the tires in your minivan? You know over 55mph it doesn't corner very well either.

There's no doubt that the EV drivetrain is underpowered compared to what it would be if the van was a pure battery electric. Engineering wise its all about finding the sweet spot. It would be silly to use a fully powered EV drivetrain that only lasted 30 miles. The EV mode does best in city traffic. You get the most range out of EV mode in city traffic. Why it took 2 seconds to get the ICE to start delivering power I don't know. It shouldn't take that long. I've never had mine do that when I needed more power. Maybe have it checked for software updates.

·
Registered
221 Posts
So if you need to go 0-60 faster than that, push the pedal down and get the ICE. I don't understand the issue. There are people that want every car to act like a sports car. A sports minivan maybe. If you want a fun drive, buy a used Miata. Why would you want to spin the tires in your minivan? You know over 55mph it doesn't corner very well either.

There's no doubt that the EV drivetrain is underpowered compared to what it would be if the van was a pure battery electric. Engineering wise its all about finding the sweet spot. It would be silly to use a fully powered EV drivetrain that only lasted 30 miles. The EV mode does best in city traffic. You get the most range out of EV mode in city traffic. Why it took 2 seconds to get the ICE to start delivering power I don't know. It shouldn't take that long. I've never had mine do that when I needed more power. Maybe have it checked for software updates.
Perhaps you missed the topic of this entire thread, but we are specifically discussing the EV ONLY driving habits of the PACHY. Reading the quotes and comments I made above, you'll see I was responding to the specific comment where people asked about it's uphill power in EV ONLY mode and how people claimed it was quick/torquey in EV ONLY.

I'm not expecting anything else out of the EV only driving and never mentioned anything to the contrary. But when people say the EV only driving is zippy and quick, while it's subjective, it's neither zippy or quick. I used the 0 to 60mph time as an example of just how slow EV only mode actually is. I don't TRY to spin the tires, have you driven the PACHY when it rains? I can spin the tires easily from a stoplight in the rain while trying to slowly pull from a stop, even moreso if the PACHY is starting from a slightly up-hill stop. It's acts a lot like my families 1997 ford ranger RWD in the rain, just it's the front wheels of the PACHY instead of the rear wheels in the ranger that slip. This is where the torque is, down low at the very start of accelerating, but it drops off fast around 20mph.

I don't try to drive it fast, I try to stay in EV mode as much as possible. It's sufficient for that driving style, but certainly not anything beyond that.

On the flipside, if people think the PACHY is zippy in EV only mode they should really try driving just about any other vehicle, because the PACHY will lose to just about all of them.

·
Registered
2021 PacHy Pinnacle Maximum Steel
163 Posts
I would believe the high torque related to an EV engine should allow for this scenario.

I feel there's ample power when stepping on some gas enough to get the electric power needle near max (around 50% of the mechanical one) after all in some situations the transmission allows for both electric motors to power the vehicle which is quite a big push of power.

Unfortunately were I live it's all plain and got nowhere to test this, AC/heating should not impact the power of the vehicle much as it turns on ICE way below the maximum battery power output. Also based on my experience, it's easier to stay in EV mode if you steadily accelerate and increase power vs step on the gas pedal quickly as if it feels you might need supplemental ICE power, it will kick it in.

Finally, as many have mentioned, on freeway drive, ICE won't turn on unless you go over 82mph unless other conditions are met like snappy driving etc.

I still would love proper hybrid/EV modes allowing to hold some charge in roadtrips in case I need to pass somebody and eventually arrive to town and use EV mode instead of hybrid in city driving.

·
Registered
2022 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Fathom Blue ordered 10/30/21, built 12/08/21, delivered 12/23/21.
389 Posts
I must be driving a different vehicle. :)

I can get the tires to spin from a stop most of the time, but once it's over about 20mph there's not much going on as far as acceleration. It does well going down hill though, but I imagine that's because the weight of the vehicle is at advantage in that situation.

On a side note, the other day I was pulling into traffic with the intention of using the ICE (pressing the accelerator pedal down to a little over 75%). The PACHY started for a moment then waiting for ICE to turn on. I sat there for a solid 2 seconds before the vehicle gave me power with the pedal press down. Pretty scary when pulling into traffic and I can't get any power for a full 2 seconds.
I do wonder if some of your experience is related to the model year or the other issues you've had with you van? I don't recall any changes from 2020- 2022 model year as it relates to the electrict drivetrain but perhaps the programming is different... My daily driver is a ram 1500 with the Hemi and I often get into the throttle because it is fun to use that power but honestly from a stoplight I think the Pachy is similar and I don't feel any loag entering the freeway on all electric from a stop to 60mph - I am easily over 60 when merging generally (most on ramps do include the downhill 'push' as you mentioned though. But the power when accelerating from say 40mph - 60mph in electric mode really impresses me on my 2022. I'll have to test the 0-60 time on a flat section sometime to see what mine does!

·
Registered
2021 Pac Hybrid Limited, Bright White
151 Posts
Oh you mean long hills. I'm in San Francisco and the EV has no problems going up 30% grades.

Anecdotally, I find the ICE kick-ins to be related purely to the throttle. If the throttle goes above 50% then the ICE kicks in to assist. Keep it below that, and it stays in pure EV mode. (And by throttle, I mean the indicator thing in the dash that wants to show me charge or power/accel(?) - I'm forgetting what it's called).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh you mean long hills. I'm in San Francisco and the EV has no problems going up 30% grades.

Anecdotally, I find the ICE kick-ins to be related purely to the throttle. If the throttle goes above 50% then the ICE kicks in to assist. Keep it below that, and it stays in pure EV mode. (And by throttle, I mean the indicator thing in the dash that wants to show me charge or power/accel(?) - I'm forgetting what it's called).
I think that's the "power" gauge?
But my experience is the same as yours... if you keep the needle below 50%, no matter what speed (though I've never tested above 70/75), the ICE doesn't fire up (assuming there's battery left in the pack).

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Limited Hybrid
296 Posts
Perhaps you missed the topic of this entire thread, but we are specifically discussing the EV ONLY driving habits of the PACHY. Reading the quotes and comments I made above, you'll see I was responding to the specific comment where people asked about it's uphill power in EV ONLY mode and how people claimed it was quick/torquey in EV ONLY.

I'm not expecting anything else out of the EV only driving and never mentioned anything to the contrary. But when people say the EV only driving is zippy and quick, while it's subjective, it's neither zippy or quick. I used the 0 to 60mph time as an example of just how slow EV only mode actually is. I don't TRY to spin the tires, have you driven the PACHY when it rains? I can spin the tires easily from a stoplight in the rain while trying to slowly pull from a stop, even moreso if the PACHY is starting from a slightly up-hill stop. It's acts a lot like my families 1997 ford ranger RWD in the rain, just it's the front wheels of the PACHY instead of the rear wheels in the ranger that slip. This is where the torque is, down low at the very start of accelerating, but it drops off fast around 20mph.

I don't try to drive it fast, I try to stay in EV mode as much as possible. It's sufficient for that driving style, but certainly not anything beyond that.

On the flipside, if people think the PACHY is zippy in EV only mode they should really try driving just about any other vehicle, because the PACHY will lose to just about all of them.
0-60mph time is not what I think people are referring to by zippy. Rather it's the instant torque and acceleration of any EV in day to day driving. Think more like 0-10 or 20mph. In that scenario, I'll beat most other vehicles handily off the line because the throttle and torque response of any ICE has a considerable amount of lag in comparison. Our second car is a 400hp turbo 6, FWIW.

More on the topic of the thread, we live in an extremely hilly area and I find the electric motor capable of accelerating the van to any reasonable speed on all but the steepest of hills (it will take a light touch to keep from engaging the ICE). The only hill in our area where it can't quite keep speed is one at 15-20% for half a mile or so - but it still climbs it fine at 45mph on EV.

·
Registered
221 Posts
0-60mph time is not what I think people are referring to by zippy. Rather it's the instant torque and acceleration of any EV in day to day driving. Think more like 0-10 or 20mph. In that scenario, I'll beat most other vehicles handily off the line because the throttle and torque response of any ICE has a considerable amount of lag in comparison. Our second car is a 400hp turbo 6, FWIW.

More on the topic of the thread, we live in an extremely hilly area and I find the electric motor capable of accelerating the van to any reasonable speed on all but the steepest of hills (it will take a light touch to keep from engaging the ICE). The only hill in our area where it can't quite keep speed is one at 15-20% for half a mile or so - but it still climbs it fine at 45mph on EV.
If your experience is like other people's, then there is something seriously wrong with our PACHY.

I'll try and take a video in the next day or two of me driving up the hill I mentioned above and trying to keep in EV only mode at 50mph.
My other vehicle is a 2004 Subaru WRX Wagon (5MT turbo, no mods, all stock) and naturally is FAR faster than the PACHY, even from a stop. To clarify, I'm not expecting the PACHY to come anywhere close to the performance of my WRX.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If your experience is like other people's, then there is something seriously wrong with our PACHY.

I'll try and take a video in the next day or two of me driving up the hill I mentioned above and trying to keep in EV only mode at 50mph.
My other vehicle is a 2004 Subaru WRX Wagon (5MT turbo, no mods, all stock) and naturally is FAR faster than the PACHY, even from a stop. To clarify, I'm not expecting the PACHY to come anywhere close to the performance of my WRX.
Take a look at your power levels when driving in EV mode. When starting from a stop and keeping the Power needle just under 50%, you should see 60-70kW of draw from the battery.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The 75 mph is a legend. I drive over 80 on electric regularly. There is a torque indicator/disk on the left of the dashboard, called “Power”.
The gas engine starts when the needle goes over 50%.So if you climb a hill, depending on the speed you’re driving, if enough power is needed to rewrite the gas engine, then the engine will start.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts