2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Limp mode twice

8K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  baodown 
#1 ·
Car went to limp mode a week ago and got towed to dealership for repair
Today I picked it up and once again went into limp mode 5 minutes into my trip home.

First time pictures

And here is today.
Any advice?

See less See more
#2 ·
With the multiple different system warnings, I would suggest having your 12V battery tested. At 44K miles you are out of the warranty, so you might as well look into getting a auto parts store to check your battery. Many/most will do this for free. And if needed, the replacement will cost less than purchasing from a dealer.

#11 ·
Update !!! Chrysler advice the dealership to check the size of my tires. Recently I got two tires from Walmart. Long story short, Walmart technician installed the wrong size tires the day before the car went on limp mode.
They replaced the two tires for the right ones and the car is not longer on limp mode. So ever, the check engine light is still on, I need to go back to the dealership for reprogramming.
Never again Walmart.
Over 3 weeks without our car. Multiple towing trucks used and números hours lost trying to figure that out.

this is the tires I order and pay for…

And this is the tires I got.

#12 ·
interesting that the car will malfunction due to tire aspect ratio going from 60 to 50.
thanks for sharing

personally I don't trust anyone to do anything correctly anymore. car repairs / house repairs / appliance repairs / plumbing / lawn care / etc, everyone is always looking for a shortcut or not paying attention.

#16 ·
I just did the math, and at that difference in aspect ratio, there would be a 47mm difference in diameter between the correct tire and the incorrect tire. That's almost 5cm and seems quite significant, so its good the van protected its transaxle. To tell you the truth, this kind of screwup is something that I could not even imagine happening when getting new tires.

#15 · (Edited)
Wow, a boneheaded mistake by the tire installer........you truly have to check everything nowadays.
The ABS sensors in the wheels were recording different rates of rotation due to the mismatched tire sizes. You had a different size tire on each side of the transaxle.....not good at all. The smaller tire that was installed by mistake would have to rotate faster than the normal size tire on the other side of the transaxle. As in your pictures, it would also disable your ABS. It's pretty incredible that the van computer could detect this and put itself into limp mode to protect the transaxle.
And the explanation was totally correct.....prolonged (high speed) operation like this would definitely tear up the transmission/transaxle.

#19 ·
Car went to limp mode a week ago and got towed to dealership for repair
Today I picked it up and once again went into limp mode 5 minutes into my trip home. View attachment 46963 View attachment 46964 View attachment 46965
First time pictures
View attachment 46966
And here is today.
Any advice?
Hi there my 2017 gas got the same msgs and has been at the dealer for weeks saying I need a new transmission and can’t find the parts … what was the end result? Was there a repeat problem?
Thanks