2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long before I purchased my van I noticed people park, get out of their vehicle, close the door, and press a button on their FOB. The lights flash, the horn blows(always when I am walking past)and gives me a slight surprise. Why all this involved routine when all they have to do is press the lock button on the inside of the door and close it. No light, no horn, no shock the **** out of anyone walking by. So why do people have to lock their car the hard way?

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is a habit that prevents you from locking your keys in he car. Our Civic enforces this habit by making it difficult to lock the door the way you suggest. I agree that the horn is annoying, but I just turned that off in the settings.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a habit that prevents you from locking your keys in he car. Our Civic enforces this habit by making it difficult to lock the door the way you suggest. I agree that the horn is annoying, but I just turned that off in the settings.
I turned my horn off as the first change I made. I also thought of forgetting the FOB in the van so I tried it at home where I had another one to unlock the door. Well, with the keyless enter-N-go you can not lock the FOB inside. You just open the door. I can see where without that option there would be a problem. That is why I have an extra key in my wallet for the Caravan because it has a key. Remember keys.....:smile2:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I am one of them.
I cannot think of anything easier than hitting a FOB button, and I like hearing an audio confirmation that my car is secure.
You are far too jumpy if a car toot scares you.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I’m wondering whether the car can be even locked the old fashioned way? I mean hitting the lock buttons inside the door and then opening the door and walking out? My impression is that if you hit the inside lock button on door, the second you open the door, the locking will be gone, or if you hit the lock button while the door is open, all doors would lock except the driver door. The only option left is hitting the outside door lock button or the fob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m wondering whether the car can be even locked the old fashioned way? I mean hitting the lock buttons inside the door and then opening the door and walking out? My impression is that if you hit the inside lock button on door, the second you open the door, the locking will be gone, or if you hit the lock button while the door is open, all doors would lock except the driver door. The only option left is hitting the outside door lock button or the fob.
With my Pacifica as I slide out I press the lock button and close the door. Making sure I am not touching the door handle. Locks just fine. This may not work with other manufacturers.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Fine method if 1 person. But if multiple people using multiple doors and trunk you have to keep your door open and only hit the lock button after all the other doors are open. Then if someone needs back into a door they just closed you have to unlock it again because you had already locked it.

Hitting button on handle or on fob is the last thing I do when walking away, any time, every time. IMO it's no more the hard way than looking and reaching for a door lock button on the interior of the door which is away from both the grab handle or door handle, 2 other points of contact when opening the door.

Same poop, different pile
Same paddle, different strokes
po-tate-toe, po-tot-toe
etc, etc :)

(Choice is good)

One thing: (I'm not sure if this applies to the Pacifica or not). I know in some vehicles using the buttons on the door interior does not arm the car alarm or anti-theft. But the exterior button / key fob would. I'm not sure if this still applies as much in the present world of proximity keys, but that's where my habit originated.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see your point on several people. Most horn blasts I notice are one or two people. I don't consider what I hear most of the time is a little horn toot. More like a blast of the horn. And it almost always happens when I am right in front of the blasting car. The lights flashing should give enough info to know your van was locked and the alarm is set. An alarm that no one pays any attention to since they happen so often in parking lots.
Then come to think of it, maybe I should turn mine back on. That way when it blasts three or four people can turn around a look and drool at my beautiful blue monster.:smile2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts