2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pacifica is a great vehicle. I had an older navigator and wanted something newer with same utility and landed on the pacifica. There could be problems with anything. Toyotas arent better IMO I think toyota owners take better care of their vehicles.

I know the good thing about the Pacifica, but I hear a lot about the bad. I am sold on the Pacifica as far as the stow-and-go, and how it handles in the snow. I don't like Toyota but everyone at my center swears by the toy! The toy has awd, where the Pacifica is fwd but they handle the same in snow! The Pacifica has a higher towing capacity, keep hearing problems with the Pacifica, so should I look at a Pacifica or look at another minivan?
Please educate me I don't like Toyota's or mopar's but they seem to be the best minivans!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know the good thing about the Pacifica, but I hear a lot about the bad. I am sold on the Pacifica as far as the stow-and-go, and how it handles in the snow. I don't like Toyota but everyone at my center swears by the toy! The toy has awd, where the Pacifica is fwd but they handle the same in snow! The Pacifica has a higher towing capacity, keep hearing problems with the Pacifica, so should I look at a Pacifica or look at another minivan?
Please educate me I don't like Toyota's or mopar's but they seem to be the best minivans!
I’ve worked as a Toyota mechanic for 8 years now. They are hands down more reliable then the Pacifica. The Sienna isn’t as nice looking as the Pacifica. I see Toyota’s with 200k on them without any major issues. They also hold there value over the Pacifica. I currently own a 2018 Pacifica that I regret buying. At 18k miles I had issues with the hood corroding and had the dealer repaint it (it’s a known issue) and lower control arms going bad. I only bought the Pacifica because it was cheaper then the Sienna. If I could do it all over I would go for a Sienna or Odyssey.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Long story short for me:
I had 6 consecutive leases on Hondas, the last being a 2015 Pilot SE. I fully intendEd to lease another Honda Pilot but just could not swing a deal. My sister and her family were on vacation near by and recant a fully loaded Pacifica and I was very impresse.
I researched other vans, SUVs, etc. and found the best deal on my loaded 2017 Pacifica Limited with the Theater pack. But what really sold me was those stow-n-go seats the no other make has. I love that feature! No lugging out seats to make room for cargo, just fold them into the floor. I’ve carried full sheets of plywood with no problem closing the hatch.

2017 models did not have Apple Car Play yet so that’s the only negative for me. The interior is very high-end and has weared well. Sure it’s still a Chrysler and yes there have been a few annoying problems (power 3rd row seat getting stuck,etc) but all fixed under warranty and never came back again.

Drive them all and see what fits your needs best. Cheers!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Pacifica is a great vehicle. I had an older navigator and wanted something newer with same utility and landed on the pacifica. There could be problems with anything. Toyotas arent better IMO I think toyota owners take better care of their vehicles.
Toyotas are absolutely more reliable than Chryslers lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think it's taken a couple of years to sort out the u-connect bugs in the Pacifica. We sold my wife's'17 Durango RT to buy her a '20 Pacifica Touring L+. I think both are heavily influenced by Daimler Chrysler (Germany). The Pacifica has the Pentastar engine, designed by Mercedes with a timing chain, no belt and valve-cleaning port injection. It's proven bullet proof. An Austrian ZF 9 speed trans that's butta. The Durango had a ZF trans as well and rode on a chassis that's a derivative of their current suv chassis. It had a couple areas where the paint needed touching up and there were a couple of bugs that were worked out of it but both the Durango and the Pacifica have that German heritage and they just flat drive better than their Japanese counterparts. Poorer initial quality be damned, I prefer better handling. We love our new Pacifica and have had no problems so far but only have 3000 miles on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Chrysler/Dodge vans are plenty reliable and long-lasting, except a few specific problems. I sold my 2001 at 240k miles, and it was bulletproof. It only required an O2 sensor, rear wheel bearings, radiator, window motor and water pump. Those items cost me under $1k total. The rest was routine brakes and oil changes. The next generation Chrysler van 2008-2016 had a known bum transmission that would typically fail every 100k mi. Mine has 150k and it is for sale. My new 2019 Pacifica has zero issues. From what I can see, this generation of van 2017 to present had some teething issues in 2017 thru 2018 caused by wiring, secondary battery for start stop feature and firmware/software. These are sorted out in 2019 to present Pacifica. I own a 2019 Toirimg L. These latest generation minivans are super smooth to drive, lots of power and get amazing fuel mileage, I love it. The latest Toyota van design is growing very old, it’s a freshened up 2003 design.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Chrysler/Dodge vans are plenty reliable and long-lasting, except a few specific problems. I sold my 2001 at 240k miles, and it was bulletproof. It only required an O2 sensor, rear wheel bearings, radiator, window motor and water pump. Those items cost me under $1k total. The rest was routine brakes and oil changes. The next generation Chrysler van 2008-2016 had a known bum transmission that would typically fail every 100k mi. Mine has 150k and it is for sale. My new 2019 Pacifica has zero issues. From what I can see, this generation of van 2017 to present had some teething issues in 2017 thru 2018 caused by wiring, secondary battery for start stop feature and firmware/software. These are sorted out in 2019 to present Pacifica. I own a 2019 Toirimg L. These latest generation minivans are super smooth to drive, lots of power and get amazing fuel mileage, I love it. The latest Toyota van design is growing very old, it’s a freshened up 2003 design.
And if you are buying new, AWD will soon become available on the 2020 model as a running change. The 2021 Pacifica will see minor visual sheet metal and grille updates, and AWD will become a $2k option. Toyota AWD sales pushes Chrysler into offering it again, as over 50% of Toyota van sales have AWD. The most impressive thing to note is the Pacifica will retain full stow and go with AWD, unlike the earlier generations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you are worried about reliability, buy and entry level Pacifica, now called Voyager. I've had an LX for 18 mo. with zero problems and I love it. If you check Consumer Reports reliability statistics The Pacifica is very reliable in core areas, but not so much in the frilly stuff. My LX has just what I want: stow and go, alloy wheels, and power drivers seats and none of the things I don't want like power doors. For god sake, who needs power doors. Manual doors are quicker and easier to operate. All the models above the LX have power doors. The more complexity the more potential for problems. The LX also comes with the most important safety technology, which I love being and older driver. O yeah, and it is under $30K. I really don't see why people pay thousands of dollars for options that are so frivolous in my view. I love everything about the LX: 33 mpg on the highway on a good day, great ride and handling, room for a sheet of plywood, nice looks, easy to stow seats, back-up camera, blind spot monitoring. We plan to outfit it for camping this spring. Check out this site about Pacifica camping: Why We Choose Van Camping for Road Trips

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's not what most industry analysts believe. CUVs and SUVs didn't kill minivans--they killed sedans. The minivan has been dead for a long time. The stigma associated with minivans has existed for a long, long time. A decade ago, minivans were 4% of the overall market. Now it's quite a bit less.

You don't have to convince people here to buy a minivan.
I remember ads on TV making fun of people driving minivans. I've always liked minivans and those ads really irritated me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you are worried about reliability, buy and entry level Pacifica, now called Voyager. I've had an LX for 18 mo. with zero problems and I love it. If you check Consumer Reports reliability statistics The Pacifica is very reliable in core areas, but not so much in the frilly stuff. My LX has just what I want: stow and go, alloy wheels, and power drivers seats and none of the things I don't want like power doors. For god sake, who needs power doors. Manual doors are quicker and easier to operate. All the models above the LX have power doors. The more complexity the more potential for problems. The LX also comes with the most important safety technology, which I love being and older driver. O yeah, and it is under $30K. I really don't see why people pay thousands of dollars for options that are so frivolous in my view. I love everything about the LX: 33 mpg on the highway on a good day, great ride and handling, room for a sheet of plywood, nice looks, easy to stow seats, back-up camera, blind spot monitoring. We plan to outfit it for camping this spring. Check out this site about Pacifica camping: Why We Choose Van Camping for Road Trips
I used to think like that. Why would I waste my money on a bunch of frilly stuff that will just break down? Really don't need it all. Then I got my Pacifica Limited. Wow! How did I ever survive 64 years without all that stuff? To each his own but I love it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The latest Toyota van design is growing very old, it’s a freshened up 2003 design.
Its from 2010, not 2003. Still quite old.

If you are worried about reliability, buy and entry level Pacifica, now called Voyager. I've had an LX for 18 mo. with zero problems and I love it. If you check Consumer Reports reliability statistics The Pacifica is very reliable in core areas, but not so much in the frilly stuff.
But then you have to drive a vehicle without these options which doesnt work for me. I would rather drive something from another manufacturer who can offer electronic options reliably.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you are worried about reliability, buy and entry level Pacifica, now called Voyager. I've had an LX for 18 mo. with zero problems and I love it. If you check Consumer Reports reliability statistics The Pacifica is very reliable in core areas, but not so much in the frilly stuff.
This is not accurate. The 2017, and to a lesser extent, the early 2018's, had teething issues relating to control arms, hood paint/corrosion, start-start power system failure, UCONNECT firmware bugs, wiring harness connector pin issues, shift calibration issues and a few less serious things. Every significant issue in the first 2 yrs plagued EVERY version, base models thru Limited. Driving a strippo van with base audio, no power lift door, manual seat, no leather, no moon roof, no roof rack, manual HVAC, no usb rear plugs or no video screens for rear occupants etc will not prevent the vehicle from stranding you when the stop-start system or ECU wiring becomes intermittent or fails. The frilly stuff is not the problem on Pacifica, although some assume so.

The best option is to buy 2019 and up, as the significant design flaws were ironed out. The Limited version does not have significantly more reliability issues than the LX. PS: I don't own a Limited.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The best option is to buy 2019 and up, as the significant design flaws were ironed out.
Do you have a reference for the changes that have been made year over year to address issues? I've never seen it confirmed that the design has been changed, but it seems reasonable that production issues have been addressed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Production issues are somewhat difficult to separate from design flaws. For example, if they change the prep or coating techniques for the hood to prevent corrosion, or alter acceptance testing for a computer module component, is that a production or design change? The internal lot/batch number or date code would change, but perhaps not the part#! To my knowledge, is no one-stop-shop internet location or forum thread containing a list of running Pacifica design changes, or precisely when each rolled out (mfr date). Mfrs tend to keep that stuff quiet because it can encourage unfounded consumer complaints or even legal action. Forum threads discuss these things, and slowly get to the bottom of it. Stuff like firmware updates and audio system revisions are somewhat easy to find. The threads discussing stop start system troubles began appearing on the internet almost from the day they released the Pacifica in 2017. Many discussed computer module changes and replacement part inventory shortages. The problem seemed to be resolved sometime in 2018, as the mfr obviously got the issue fixed. These threads are not being created by 2019 or 2020 owners, so the mfg design defect was obviously fixed at some point after 2017 rollout, probably before Fall/Winter 2018. There are some very disturbing YouTube videos showing dash clusters blinking when doors get slammed shut and other odd behaviors electrical behaviors. These bugs seem to plague 2017’s only, and seem to be caused by ground and connector bugs that got sorted out in the first 6 months of production. These early production date issues were stranding folks and resulting in lemon law buybacks, but it’s hard to say whether it affected 5% of the fleet, or 1 in 10,000 (0.01%).

·
Registered
261 Posts
Production issues are somewhat difficult to separate from design flaws. For example, if they change the prep or coating techniques for the hood to prevent corrosion, or alter acceptance testing for a computer module component, is that a production or design change?
Sure, there are borderline cases, and sometimes production issues are fixed by changing the part to be easier to produce. But things that we've seen on here like incorrectly mounted connectors or ground straps, and mis-applied seam sealer leading to leaks are clearly cases where the factory did not create a vehicle to specifications.

This is in contrast to for example the problems many people seem to be having with the ZF transmission, where it's much less clear whether they just can't put it together correctly, there are faulty parts in the supply chain, or whether the design itself is just not up to the task.

I'm curious because while I think it's pretty likely that a new vehicle will have production issues that will get ironed out as the factory gets up to speed, making changes to the design seems less likely since such changes have a more far-reaching effect. I have no knowledge about road vehicle manufacturing but in my area of work design changes ripple much further outwards than production changes, and thus have to show to be a significant benefit to be undertaken. And it seems that would get even more true as manufacturing volume goes up.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The best option is to buy 2019 and up, as the significant design flaws were ironed out. The Limited version does not have significantly more reliability issues than the LX. PS: I don't own a Limited.
I believe they started building Pacs in earnest in April, 2016. We waited two years to the month before ordering our 2018. It's fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe they started building Pacs in earnest in April, 2016. We waited two years to the month before ordering our 2018. It's fine.
I suspect that the vast majority of 2017s are fine too. The grounding and connector defect rate is probably under 1%. But for folks like me buying used, it makes little sense to choose an earlier model with questionable defect history to save a couple k. The 17’s thru ‘19’s are generally selling for $23k to $28k. I paid $23k for a 2019 touring L with 20k mi, and found multiple 2018 Limiteds under $25k... some are paying that for a 2017 LX with a few less miles and no CarPlay. I don’t mind spending a couple bucks for a later model to avoid possible risk. When buying used, you can steer clear of the questionable years for almost pennies

·
Registered
339 Posts
This thread inspired me to go drive a new Palisade Limited today. It addresses all my issues, rides better, better seating position, more comfortable, obviously more capable off the beaten path and in weather. Now, with that said its undoubtedly smaller inside than the Pacifica. Certainly no good deals to be had. This one was $700 over MSRP, which would make a lease considerably more than the Pacifica...
Oh, man. Even when prices come down you should check what people are complaining about regarding the Palisade (and Telluride) on the Safecar website. Highly recommend waiting another year (at least!) to sort the problems or you'll end up bitterly complaining on the Palisade user forum like you are on this one. Just sayin', there's a reason why lots of folks avoid buying first and second production years of new model vehicles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is an apples and oranges decision. Why be so concerned about 2017 Pacifica Job 1 release bugs fully-ironed out 3 yrs ago, then select a 2020 SUV which is untested and functionally “entirely different”? Why compare a $20k used 2017 Pacifica to a smaller SUV costing 2x or more? I’d have to dispute your ride and comfort comparison claims, as it’s clear you did not do an A to B comparison. The Pacifica is known for offering #1 market-leading ride quality and comfort in the segment, definitely superior to any truck-based SUV.

81 - 100 of 127 Posts