2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Looking at a Pacifica why should I get this over a Toyota?

22K views 133 replies 36 participants last post by  Mathew 
#1 ·
I know the good thing about the Pacifica, but I hear a lot about the bad. I am sold on the Pacifica as far as the stow-and-go, and how it handles in the snow. I don't like Toyota but everyone at my center swears by the toy! The toy has awd, where the Pacifica is fwd but they handle the same in snow! The Pacifica has a higher towing capacity, keep hearing problems with the Pacifica, so should I look at a Pacifica or look at another minivan?
Please educate me I don't like Toyota's or mopar's but they seem to be the best minivans!

#3 ·
I test drove the Sienna, Odyssey and Pacifica before buying... I like the Pacifica a lot better and had fairly good experience with my prior Chrysler minivan (lasted over 10 years). There were problems with the Pacifica, especially the 2017s which were the first model year, and some with the 2018s when Chrysler updated the software to support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. First-year issues are pretty common and if you've joined a Toyota forum, you'll probably hear complaints about Sienna problems. Most of the people who post either want help with a problem or are just looking for info/deals.

#4 ·
I test drove all 3 and in 2017 the Pacifica was hands down the best. I now have a 2018 Pacifica with 32k miles, the auto stop start battery went bad at 30k but was replaced under warranty.

The Pacifica is the best looking of the 3 IMO, has the largest interior, and the stow and go seats are very nice when you need them.

#14 ·
Hey mattlreese,

Please don't hesitate reaching out to us via private message should you have any vehicle questions or concerns for us in the future.

Alex
ChryslerCares

#5 ·
I've had both the Pacifica and the Sienna. The Pacifica is quieter and more refined, but the reliability has been horrid. Only reason I traded the Sienna was for Pacifica's StowNGo.
Sienna was never in the shop over its 48,000 miles. Pacifica has been too many times to remember.
One person's experience.
YMMV.

#6 ·
Wife's Pacifica Touring L+ has been fine so far. FWIW, I'm thinking of buying one of the new ones coming out with AWD, but will wait until 2022 when they get the bugs worked out of the new drivetrain. I'll give the new one to my wife and keep the '18 for myself.

#7 ·
In a couple of months you'll be able to buy a 2020 with AWD. Those buyers will be the beta testers for the system. Rumor has it that there are already many unlabeled 2020 AWD Pacificas on the road being driven by company reps to test them. By the time of the 2021 arrives, they should have a pretty good handle on issues.

#8 ·
Decision depends on what you care about the most.

The Toyota is a very old design. It was introduced in 2011, but that was basically a reskin. The platform dates from the 2003 model. Pluses: It‘s the most troublefree. Reasonable value. Can get AWD. Downsides: Much poorer crash safety than Pacifica (or Odyssey). Check out iihs.org for info. Heavy seats must be lugged out of the van for cargo use. By far the least attractive outside and inside. Missing some features.

Pacifica Upsides: Good safety ratings. Easy conversion between passengers and cargo. Smoother, quieter, more comfortable. More contemporary features - Android auto, 360 camera, etc. Not too ugly for a minivan. Downsides: Least reliable of the “big three” vans - but perhaps not materially different from the Odyssey In reliability. Mixed: Chrysler is more “a-la-carte” in the options that can be added and mixed. So more confusing to order, but perhaps better suits your desires at a particular price point.

My anecdotal experience - 2018 Touring L purchased new. Now with 20K miles and approaching 2 years of service. No issues of any consequence. Really like the comfort and utility. Two shop visits. Visit 1: Software update for cruise control recall. 45 minutes in the shop. Visit 2 (recently): Two recalls (ground strap, dash trim piece), replace ESS aux battery, update software for sliding doors. 4 hours from drop off to ready. Minor issues Ive had: ESS stopped working, showing “battery charging.” I drove it like this for 13 months with no ill effects. Head unit has been slow to start up a couple of times - 30 seconds versus 5 seconds. Driver side sliding door would very occasionally reverse and reopen. Always closed on 2nd try.

#9 ·
I owned a Toyota Minivan for 15 years. I now own the Chrysler ONLY because Toyota is as pointed out above, 8 years old and it shows. Plus I LOVE stow n go. And the S appearance package sealed the deal.

That said. If Toyota released a new model, I would have bought it over the Chrysler. And I haven't even seen what the new Toyota will look like and offer... But I still would.

I love the Pacifica and prefer its looks but I don't trust it like I did the Toyota. I did buy the lifetime warranty before they discontinued it so that's good. But my dealership experience has been VERY VERY bad so far. From buying to servicing.

That's what I regret most. The dealerships. My experience with Toyota was the POLAR OPPOSITE.

Why do you think Chrysler Cares is so active here LOL... sales and issues.

I've moderated internet forums a few times and I can tell you Chrysler Cares is here with an agenda.

I never felt the need to join a forum for my Toyota Minivan so I could be aware of issues and problems... I do now that I own a Chrysler. The 2017 model year was unreal bad...

#10 ·
The answer is...you probably shouldn't. The Pacifica is a nicer/better vehicle. Its a much newer design, fancier, interior is better, more features BUT reliability and build quality leave a lot to be desired. The Toyota excels in reliability and build quality. In a vehicle like this, design doesn't trump that IMHO. If I had it to do over again, I would get the Toyota.

With that said, an all new Sienna is coming out soon. Can you wait?

#17 ·
I had a Sedona before the Pacifica and it was great. Not as well designed as a family hauler as the Pacifica though. Id get another one without hesitation.

Because the Sienna is not as good looking.
LOL, its a minivan not a sports car. I wouldn't call the Pacifica "beautiful". The reliability Issues in this sort of vehicle are totally not worth any aesthetic benefits.

This post has been deleted
#16 ·
This shows that the Sienna team is lazy and does not care about their product.
I think it probably has more to do with the facts that it is a dwindling segment with consumers who value reliability and functionality as much or more than design and the fact that the Sienna continually performed well in the market. Being the only van with AWD available, it also was a differentiated product. When redesigns frequently lead to quality issues (just look at what’s happened to the Odyssey since it’s 2018 redesign), I think the Sienna team was just being pragmatic, not lazy.

All that said, a new design will drop later this year for the 2021 MY.

#15 ·
2021 has AWD if you can wait a few months. Should be available soon according to car and driver. I have loaded 2018 Limited with 18 inch wheels that I put snow tires on (Nov thru Mar) and think it performs as well as my former AWD and gas mileage is much improved over the AWD SUV for sure. Husband has a Highlander and I get about 4 miles more per gallon than he does on highway and can be 6 buzzing around town. Sienna has more comfortable 2nd row seating, but not that much more to make me want to haul those second row seats in and out when I need to haul a big load vs people. For long trips rear passenger (teenage son) just brings a pillow and all is well. He prefers the captains chair in the back and second row has plenty of leg room and reclines nicely. Also rear seats are heated in the PacVan, not sure if the Sienna had that feature. We live in the northeast so heated seats and steering wheel are extremely appealing. Model of Sienna we looked at did not have heated 2nd row, I don't believe, but I could be wrong. Loving the built in vacuum in the PacVan as well. Use it all the time due to hiking with dogs. Though you can switch out the vac for a donut spare, I have premium AAA membership and would rather call them and be towed than have to pop on a temp tire at the side of a highway if I get a flat. This has only happened to me once in 32 years of driving so I'm good without the spare. I think PacVan has more loading space. This amateur gardener has brought home some pretty large trees (even a magnolia two years ago...and its now almost as tall as my thee story house...not kidding) with all the seats folded down. Also 3 adults plus two dogs on a 2200 mile college road trip and all the luggage fit comfortably and we didn't even need the Thule rack. Which meant first two rows could enjoy that incredible moon roof while we kept the back roof shaded for pups. Can also fit two road or mountain bikes in back easily without need for bike rack although we do use one occasionally that pops into rear hitch. After years of SUVs I bought this after loving the one we rented from SIXT while on vacation. Never thought I would ever drive a minivan in my life and now I don't think I will ever drive anything else. Its the first American car I have ever driven that I love! Even though it's huge, it doesn't feel like it. The safety tec package is wonderful. I have the upgraded sound which I recommend and love and I find it's much quieter than other cars. Husband now drives the Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum and I traded in his Mercedes for my PacVan. Will consider hybrid in future when don't need 2nd row seats anymore (loss of stow and go for battery). Also may return to AWD in future but unlikely since service guy stores the snows/all seasons depending on season and I just time the tire switch out with servicing so hasn't been a big deal. The other thing i love about this car is the wipers...sounds crazy but loud wipers really bother me and the wipers on this car are silent. I think I will be driving a PacVan for the rest of my life and I've had the chance to drive some really nice cars (BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Lexus). The versatility of this vehicle just cannot be beaten and they keep making it better and better. It's the minivan for people who usually hate them! It is truly my dream car!

#18 ·
A 2020 Pacifica is not going to be anywhere near as reliable as a Sienna. I agree the Pacifica is a better van from a design perspective (and a new Sienna is coming next year), but if you suffered through the reliability issues many of us have you wouldn't roll the dice on doing that again.

Selecting style over reliability in a family appliance like a minivan makes zero sense to me.

#28 ·
I have 69000 miles on a 2017 Pacifica Limited (ICE). At one point, the paint was peeling on the hood. That was repainted under warranty. Occasionally, it shifts hard when starting out but that does not seem to be a repair issue.
I have had no other warranty issues. I have considered trading for a PacHy or Tesla X but honestly, this van has everything that I need.

#78 ·
I have 69000 miles on a 2017 Pacifica Limited (ICE). At one point, the paint was peeling on the hood. That was repainted under warranty. Occasionally, it shifts hard when starting out but that does not seem to be a repair issue.
I have had no other warranty issues. I have considered trading for a PacHy or Tesla X but honestly, this van has everything that I need.
Hey Cornfield,

Please don't hesitate in reaching out to us via private message for any questions you may have in the future. We woud be happy to see how we can assist.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

#31 ·
I don't understand people who buy vehicles for looks or are so insecure in their identities that it's tied up with their vehicle choice. Really, it takes you and your stuff places and when you sit on the inside you can't tell what it looks like anyway...

#32 · (Edited)
Some of us are car people and get a lot of enjoyment out of our cars, and they’re not just transportation to us. Clothes just cover your body, your house is just a box you live in, why do you care what anything like that looks like? I don’t care what other people think about my cars, I care how I enjoy them. I just don’t enjoy having a minivan, it doesn’t appeal to me.

And you can absolutely tell the difference between a crossover and a minivan when driving it. That’s part of what I don’t like about minivans, the driving position and feel.

My wife is like you, she doesn’t enjoy cars so like any other appliance she cares more about it’s utility than it’s styling or other attributes. We’ve always argued back and forth about that, since driving something I enjoy having usually means some sacrifice when it comes to utility.

#36 ·
Which is great, plenty of people here clearly really love their Pacificas. Minivans just aren't my thing. My issues with my Pacifica from a quality standpoint are well documented, but what Ive discussed here is not unique to the Pacifica, its an issue I have with all Minivans. I had all the same issues with the Sedona we had before, although I liked the driving position in that better because it had a full console and center armrest which made it feel more crossover like.

The Pacifica is certainly the highest quality feeling and best driving minivan, but I dont like how minivans look, I dont like the persona, I dont like the flat floor from a driving position standpoint, it feels super FWD, its not especially quiet or nice riding, no utility in bad weather or off the beaten path. Its just important to me to have vehicles that I like driving and I just don't like driving it.

#37 ·
I have the minivan for a few reasons.
I have hobbies, playing guitar, flying RC planes, driving RC cars, etc. lots of cargo room
As a grandfather I have frequent weekends with little ones
We have out of town guests stay with us 3-4 weeks of the year.
I like the driving position, it is easier for my old bones to get in and out
I can wear a hat

#38 ·
Yes, the main reason most people buy minivans is because of kids. However, there are a lot of people who want a larger vehicle for hauling capacity... I don't have kids at home, so I usually keep the 3rd row folded to drive 3 other adults (sometimes with baggage, sometimes because it's the easiest car for my elderly parents to get into) or transport a large load, or take our bicycles on vacation. My minivan doubles as a "truck" that I can leave my stuff locked inside.

My last Chrysler minivan lasted 15 years, and I've had no problems with my 2017 so far (despite all the hand wringing and wailing on threads about how no-one should even think about buying a 2017 because they were so terrible... they weren't all bad). Prior to that, I owned a couple of Toyotas (cars not vans) and they were also mostly trouble-free... I just didn't like the Sienna when I drove one. I also drove a Highlander and RAV4 because I wasn't sure I needed another minivan. Personally, I think most current minivans are indistinguishable from most current SUVs from the outside. The interiors are very different though, and that's what kept me in the Pacifica instead of an SUV. It was a vehicle that I could see myself taking on a long road trip to visit family (8-12 hours each way so I want a decent infotainment system), carpooling with friends/family in town, or bringing home 20 bags of mulch for my yard.

#40 ·
My minivan doubles as a "truck" that I can leave my stuff locked inside.
Indeed, around here everyone "needs" to have blingy trucks. Unless you're hauling uncontained loads of dirt (which I assume most people with those trucks don't since they would get dirty...) it seems to me a minivan is a far more versatile vehicle whose function fills most of the truck niche plus can haul people as well. An SUV fills none of those niches, it's not as good at hauling people (except maybe a suburban) and not as good at hauling stuff either.

It's just silly to me that there's a minivan "stigma" but SUV's are "cool" when they're basically the same thing except SUVs are worse in all objective measures except possibly ground clearance.

Reactions: EVRob
#39 ·
This discussion is bizarre - I'd rather be driving a sports car than a minivan but the sports car doesn't meet my needs.

We spent eight years driving a Q7 before the Pacifica, which is a far more high-status ride than the Hyundai discussed upthread. No one ever commented on it. We rented a Pacifica on vacation and the family ordered - and I mean ordered - me to trade in for one immediately on our return. I got the Pacifica Hybrid and everyone wanted to check in on it, complimented on it, and so on. And the cost was tens of thousands less, especially net of the tax credits. Go figure.

Really still amazed we could get a car this practical, with the sliding door, low load height, accessible and usable third row, ACC with stop and associated safety gear, 360-degree cameras, the Q7-style panoramic sunroof, and all the other stuff for what we paid. The value for money is pretty incredible.

#45 ·
This thread inspired me to go drive a new Palisade Limited today. It addresses all my issues, rides better, better seating position, more comfortable, obviously more capable off the beaten path and in weather. Now, with that said its undoubtedly smaller inside than the Pacifica. Certainly no good deals to be had. This one was $700 over MSRP, which would make a lease considerably more than the Pacifica...

#99 ·
Oh, man. Even when prices come down you should check what people are complaining about regarding the Palisade (and Telluride) on the Safecar website. Highly recommend waiting another year (at least!) to sort the problems or you'll end up bitterly complaining on the Palisade user forum like you are on this one. Just sayin', there's a reason why lots of folks avoid buying first and second production years of new model vehicles.

#46 ·
Yeah, your experience watching people in LA does not replace statistics and market research lol

Reactions: Lipster
#47 ·
You said: "Minivans are for couples with lots of kids. And women are having fewer and fewer kids. People are also delaying marriage. These are well documented facts."

Professor, My wife and I have no children living with us, yet we have had three vans. We had children, but not "lots of kids" We use vans for different things, often as a heated pickup truck. Your 'facts' often have a kernel of truth, but your conclusions are BS.
Sort of like: Almost all people who have cancer drank milk as an infant. Ergo it is clear that milk causes cancer.
I am fairly certain you are an amateur troll hobbyist.

#51 ·
You’re making judgements about causality which aren’t backed up by data. All of the industry market data shows that families with children are choosing to purchase crossovers vs minivans, it’s not as simple as saying “minivan sales are down because people are having fewer kids”

There is a well documented shift towards crossovers and away from sedans and minivans.

Reactions: Lipster
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.