2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brakes on my 2017 need to be replaced and I was looking for some advice on what folks on here have replaced theirs with.
I do have some specific criteria, I’m looking for brake pads that have a really strong bite. I’m more concerned with stopping power than with low dust and I’m not at all concerned about pad life or rotor wear. I DIY my brakes and we put on less than 5,000 miles per year, so an aggressive pad that will only last 20,000 miles is perfectly fine for me.
I don’t particularly like the stock brakes, they would be my last option. I’ve looked on tire rack and the most aggressive pad they have is the Centric Position Quiet Ceramic, but it only scores 3 bars out of 5 on their stopping power scale. I had an earlier version of this pad on a BMW years ago and I didn’t care for them...no bite.

I get it, the Pacifica is a van and not a sports car. Still, I want to enjoy it and put it into a corner once in a while. Brakes are a big part of that.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with a nice set of brakes they will fit our vans?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Ideally you want a brake pad and rotor combo front and rear . Just google search kits and you’ll see what comes up . . If your looking for a brake kit like brembo, wildwood , powerstop , etc your going to be limited . Brake kits for pacificas aren’t really a big taker . You’ll probably find some cheap drilled and slotted brake rotors from China ( junk ) on internet but limited to a big biting pad .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ideally you want a brake pad and rotor combo front and rear . Just google search kits and you’ll see what comes up . . If your looking for a brake kit like brembo, wildwood , powerstop , etc your going to be limited . Brake kits for pacificas aren’t really a big taker . You’ll probably find some cheap drilled and slotted brake rotors from China ( junk ) on internet but limited to a big biting pad .
Correct, looking for just brake pads, not a big brake kit. Was hoping someone with personal experience would chime in.

EBC Yellowstuff looks like a potential candidate, has anyone put these on their van?

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
765 Posts
The brakes on my 2017 need to be replaced and I was looking for some advice on what folks on here have replaced theirs with.
I do have some specific criteria, I’m looking for brake pads that have a really strong bite. I’m more concerned with stopping power than with low dust and I’m not at all concerned about pad life or rotor wear. I DIY my brakes and we put on less than 5,000 miles per year, so an aggressive pad that will only last 20,000 miles is perfectly fine for me.
I don’t particularly like the stock brakes, they would be my last option. I’ve looked on tire rack and the most aggressive pad they have is the Centric Position Quiet Ceramic, but it only scores 3 bars out of 5 on their stopping power scale. I had an earlier version of this pad on a BMW years ago and I didn’t care for them...no bite.

I get it, the Pacifica is a van and not a sports car. Still, I want to enjoy it and put it into a corner once in a while. Brakes are a big part of that.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with a nice set of brakes they will fit our vans?
There are a few members on here that have reported good results with Power Stop brake pads. I installed their Z17 pads on another vehicle and really liked them. I'm going to install them on our Pacifica after the current pads are worn out.

As far as rotors go, don't get the cheap ones. Get the coated rotors (which is what OE rotors are anyways). I'd pass on drilled & slotted rotors, especially if you live in the rust belt. I had them on another car, and I hated them. The holes introduced more rust, and the slots filled up with friction material thus defeating the purpose of the slots in the first place. I really don't think they serve much purpose anymore anyways. Modern braking systems are designed much better which negates the need to "upgrade" to drilled and slotted rotors.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Just remember that the pads and rotors work in unison. So a pad that bites hard on a poor rotor will only cause the rotor to become scorned , warp , groove . The dissipation of heat is key for long life rotor life , just remember the brake bias on this front heavy vehicle also . And a proper replace of both rotors and pads at same time is way to go , as well as proper way fir bedding in new brakes as well . Happy motoring

·
Super Moderator
671 Posts
carbon fiber - if you can swing it 🙃 . they are the best you can get

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just remember that the pads and rotors work in unison. So a pad that bites hard on a poor rotor will only cause the rotor to become scorned , warp , groove . The dissipation of heat is key for long life rotor life , just remember the brake bias on this front heavy vehicle also . And a proper replace of both rotors and pads at same time is way to go , as well as proper way fir bedding in new brakes as well . Happy motoring
Agreed. The challenge is finding the right parts. If this were a 3 Series or a Corvette, lots to choose from. Not much out there for the Pacifica.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts