2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I want a 2018 or 2019 Pacifica limited with the Advanced Safety Tec package, but we’re not finding very many available.

I’m noticing that the 2019’s have a feature called “Blind–Spot and Cross–Path Detection”. Can someone shed some light on the difference between this and the Advanced SafetyTec Package.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I would strongly recommend buying as new a Pacifica as you can to avoid early reliability issues which 2018s were not immune to. I would only consider a 2019 or newer.

The cross path detection, if you are backing out of a space and a car is coming down the aisle the car will alert you.

·
Registered
496 Posts
"The Advanced SafetyTec Group adds adaptive cruise control, forward-collision warning and automatic braking, lane-keeping assist, front parking sensors, an automatic parking system, automatic wipers and automatic highbeams.Jan 10, 2019"
My 2018 has “Blind–Spot and Cross–Path Detection” - that is the safety tech package - I do not have the ADVANCED safety tech.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I’d seriously consider new with the cash back n financing and any state or federal ev credits . That way you can also negotiate a ex warranty if you choose to do so at time of sale and get a better savings .

·
Registered
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited
9 Posts
A few things I can tell you about my used Pacifica purchase. Literally all 2018-2019 Pacifica used cars are from rental car companies. When rental car companies order cars they never get them with all the tech features. The best you’ll find is what I found - a 2019 Limited with the features you mentioned. I scoured all the used car web sites (CarGurus, Carvana, etc. ) for six months and got the best deal. A new car with ‘everything’ will cost around $50k. I got mine with 25k miles for $30k. It has everything except adaptive cruise control. Do your homework, search every site, and you’ll find that bargain.

Curt

·
Registered
704 Posts
A few things I can tell you about my used Pacifica purchase. Literally all 2018-2019 Pacifica used cars are from rental car companies. When rental car companies order cars they never get them with all the tech features. The best you’ll find is what I found - a 2019 Limited with the features you mentioned. I scoured all the used car web sites (CarGurus, Carvana, etc. ) for six months and got the best deal. A new car with ‘everything’ will cost around $50k. I got mine with 25k miles for $30k. It has everything except adaptive cruise control. Do your homework, search every site, and you’ll find that bargain.

Curt
A new one with everything will have an MSRP around $50k, you will pay much, much less. A car without adaptive cruise means it lacks the advanced safety tech group, which means its going to lack a lot of the options that make the MSRP $50k. So a car optioned like yours has an MSRP of about $45k. Just online the rebates bring the price down to $39,705. You can negotiate another $5k or so off the van with zero effort, so in reality buying used with $25k miles probably saved you about $4,500. I'd take new.

Reactions: Bond007

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes you are correct but 30% less for a car with only 25k miles was important to me. The OP will have to decide how important it is to him.

Reactions: CentralFla

·
Registered
704 Posts
You post implied you saved $20,000 though, which isn't the case. You also didnt pay 30% less, $4,500 is 13% of $34,500. You paid 13% less.

No clue where you get 30%, even dividing the savings into what you paid for yours only gets us 15%. I wouldn't consider your deal a bargain...

·
Registered
9 Posts
You said a new one was $45k and I paid $30k - over 30% less. No big deal - just telling the OP of my experience.

·
Registered
704 Posts
No...The MSRP of a new one is $45k. You would pay $34,500 or so. You don't pay MSRP, there are huge rebates, huge discounts. Just on Chrysler.com it shows the price discounted to $39,500, and thats before any negotiating with the dealer. You could have bought an identical brand new van for about $4,500 more than you paid for your used one, you did not save 30%. That was my point, you don't really save much going used.

My completely loaded 2020 had an MSRP of $52,000. I paid about $41,000 all said and done.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You said a new one was $45k and I paid $30k - over 30% less. No big deal - just telling the OP of my experience.
Math is hard...

This is hilarious!

You are comparing apples to oranges...

Your purchase price VS MSRP (instead of VS the PURCHASE PRICE).

So yeah 13%... LOL

·
Registered
704 Posts
Math is hard...

This is hilarious!

You are comparing apples to oranges...

Your purchase price VS MSRP (instead of VS the PURCHASE PRICE).

So yeah 13%... LOL
Calculator is a **** of a tool lol

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L (built 9/2017)
305 Posts
The Advanced SafetyTec package adds front sensors to the van that facilitate more advanced safety features like adaptive cruise control, front collision avoidance, and 360° overhead camera. Whether or not it's worth it depends on who you ask. Many owners that have it boast about it and claim it's must have feature. Many of those that don't (like myself) see it as an unnecessary expense that adds more stuff to the list of things that can break.

Our purchase was the best bargain at the time IMO. We only paid $25,237 for a CPO Touring L with 24,000 miles in November 2018. It has 18" wheels, 8-passenger seating, Uconnect 4C NAV w/8.4" screen, and inflatable spare tire kit. I could only find nine vans in the whole country with the same options & similar mileage that were priced cheaper at that time. Most comparable vans at the time were priced around $28,000-$29,000. Similarly equipped brand new 2019 models were selling for around $33,000-$34,000 after rebates at that time.

My advise is:

1) Watch Kevin Hunter's videos about car buying. They have a lot of useful information.

2) Don't put yourself in a situation that requires you to buy something quick if at all possible. If you see a potential life-changing event coming, start shopping and educating yourself as soon as possible. Shopping can be very fun, but the most enjoyable part of buying a new vehicle is buying exactly what you wanted and scoring a great deal. I started shopping for a new van at least 6 months before we bought it because my wife and I decided to become foster parents and were consider adopting. We ended up taking in two wonderful kids (that we adopted later) shortly after acquiring our foster license and bought our van a month later.

3) Educate yourself about the different model years, trim levels, and their standard features & options. The best way to do this IMO is to download brochures from here and study them well. There are some year-to-year differences so be sure to keep this in mind.

4) Test drive the vehicles with and without some of the features/options you are considering. Test drives go a long ways toward the next item on this list. I didn't like how the flip-down overhead DVD screen partially obscured the rear view mirror's image so it became a deal breaker.

5) Identify potential dealbreakers and try to decide exactly what you want early on. This will help you rule out vehicles and save you time.

6) Use car shopping sites like autotrader.com or cargurus.com to get an idea of how much dealerships are asking for what you're looking for. This can help a lot when negotiating price.

7) Better deals can be had in bigger cities if you're willing to buy from a dealership further away. We bought our van from a dealership almost 6 hours away from home, but we were already in the area for Thanksgiving anyways so it wasn't like we made a special trip to buy it. Use situations like this to your advantage if you can. Don't be afraid to scope out some vehicles if you are traveling to an area you don't normally go to.

8) Write down a list of questions to ask and bring the list with you to ask the salesman/sales closer before finalizing your purchase. I guarantee you will get comfy or caught up in the process and forget to ask something if you don't. The unanswered questions will cause you to second guess your decision.

9) Listen to your gut. If something doesn't feel right, trust your instincts. At the same time this is why #8 applies. Get all your questions clearly answered first and get sales terms in writing when applicable. If it still doesn't feel right after all your questions have been answered....

10) Be willing to walk away!

I think that about covers it. Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts