2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am a die hard Toyota fan. I have had 12 of them including some Trucks that I have beat hard and never had any problems with them. But Toyota's Sienna has not been re-designed in 10 years and the interior really lacks appeal. The value of a plug in Hybrid is really appealing as we live about 40 miles round trip from town. It would really help save on our fuel costs. So I am contemplating a Pacifica Hybrid. My big hold back is it seems so many people are having problems with them. So what I would like to know from anyone willing to share their information is:

How many miles are on your Pacifica Hybrid?

What issues of any have you had?

Would you buy one again?

Thanks I really appreciate it.

-dude47

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I am a die hard Toyota fan. I have had 12 of them including some Trucks that I have beat hard and never had any problems with them. But Toyota's Sienna has not been re-designed in 10 years and the interior really lacks appeal. The value of a plug in Hybrid is really appealing as we live about 40 miles round trip from town. It would really help save on our fuel costs. So I am contemplating a Pacifica Hybrid. My big hold back is it seems so many people are having problems with them. So what I would like to know from anyone willing to share their information is:

Would you buy one again?

Thanks I really appreciate it.

-dude47
This is a forum where owners and potential owners gather and share information for many purposes.

I recommend you should take the time to research how many Pacifica hybrids sold in the US in the past 3 years before stating so many having issues. Its always easier to share your misfortune than the opposite. Following that research you'll realize that everyone on here having serious issues is a joke percentage of the total sales.

Now of course not everyone is on here sharing, they might be somewhere else or not on here at all (dealer only).

That being said, no one here will convince you to get one but yourself. I've had mine for 2 weeks and yes, I hope nothing goes wrong, Just like my '16 Malibu before that needed a new steering column or my '12 Mustang before that needed a new rear axle.

Good luck with your purchase/research.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Duderino,

We love our 2017 Platinum. We took delivery at the end of April in 2017. I have one of the few teal silver models out there.

In the spring/summer/fall we average 63 - 64 MPG on the dash meter running on almost exclusively electric. It is our daily driver for taking the kids to daycare and going to work. My wife and I carpool to work, so this is our primary vehicle.

This last summer I went from June 24th to October 15th without buying gas. I still had over a 1/3 of a tank when I filled it up. We had a 4k family road trip late last spring and it performed admirably. We averaged just over 30 mpg for the whole trip with no opportunities to charge up. We had 2 adults, 2 young children, and entire van behind the middle row crammed from floor to ceiling with about 500lbs of gear for the trip.

it performs like a champ on slick roads. We had icy roads this morning, and I never had any problems with slipping or sliding. Nothing is lost by not having AWD. If you need more performance than this on the slick, you probably shouldn't be looking at minivans.

We have a level 2 charger at home and in the parking garage at work.

22k miles

We've only had 2 gripes:

-The first is the downtime for the recall in summer of 2017. However, Chrysler treated us very well during that time. They paid for a rental Pacifica the entire time ours was down, they paid 4 car payments, and provided us with a 7 year MaxCare zero deductible warranty.

-The second was a recuring refresh mode issue last winter. Plenty of threads on here about that. It only effects my van in the colder parts of winter. I've been able to avoid that situation this winter by keeping it topped up with gas every few weeks and spending 10 minutes every few weeks with it running in the parking garage letting the oil get to 200 degrees. Today I put in 1/4 of a tank after filling over 3 weeks ago.

Would I buy one again? Without hesitation. We plan on keeping ours at least those 7 years. There would need to be a significant upgrade in electric distance to make it a worthy move for us.

I reccomend buying this van. Even more so now, because a buyer of a 2019 gets many options ours does not have. Memory Seats, mirrors, autodimming mirrors, car play, 4g connection. I think there may be more. I tried to stop tracking the toys I don't have because I was an early adopter.

·
Registered
113 Posts
-dude47
870, a little more than half electric.

Currently afraid to drive on gas because awaiting U94 recall. Other than that, only quirky things:
Driver sliding door would not move from open position several times. Clicks and tries but doesn't move. Then this went away.
All cameras including backup camera stopped working for a day. Nothing I tried reinitialized or made them work. Next day working again.
But I haven't tried half the features yet.

Would you buy one again?
At this point, yes. The $10k total in Texas for the rebate and tax credit, and getting about $4.5k off MSRP makes this a great buy.
I had 5 Toyota Previas and I am now working on our 07 Corolla, so easy to work on and very reliable. I know what you mean about reliability as nobody tops Toyotas. Previa was the father of the Lexus line and very high engr and mfr quality. But wife hates interior of Sienna, too. And the Odyssey (or should I say Hearse) quality is a joke. Honda has really gone downhill. I have bought two new Hondas, 76 and 09, and had many recalls and did not perform up to expectations.

I expect Toyota will respond with a hybrid minivan within 5 years and I will seriously consider it if I have any significant problems with our PacHy. But if it is based on the Sienna as it is now, I will pass.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am currently shopping Pacifica Hybrids and own a Sienna. My brother has had his Pacifica Hybrid for a year and loves it. I was really surprised the van was good enough to convert someone so against minivans in to an owner.

The dealers in my area have had their Pacifica Hybrids on the lots for a very long time, like six months or more. They absolutely will not discount them below about $4500 off MSRP. I’m not sure if FCA is subsidizing the flooring on these vehicles or what. If I can’t get the deal I want on a 2018 I may just let them hold on to their inventory and consider ordering a 2019.

The Sienna has been a great van for us, the interior could be more luxurious but the main reason to change is to get better mileage. Currently we average 14.5mpg with the Sienna and my wife drives 25,000 miles a year. Even if she doesn’t ever plug it in we should see around three times the efficiency with the Pacifica Hybrid. I’m hoping she’ll be diligent about plugging it in and we can hit around 50mpg average. I know I’m simplifying this from the equivalent mileage calculations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
An Astounding Yes

With-out any doubt I would buy this vehicle again, if they came out with one that was all wheel drive I would buy a second. Smoothest ride I have ever had, gas savings is great, comfy, it goes on. Could the recall have been handled better, yes, but i don't think any corporation will do whats in the consumers best interest. Circle back to Toyota an their recall with acceleration.
Do your research if it fits your family/lifestyle great if it doesn't there are tons of cars out there. But would i suggest giving this vehicle a solid look, yes.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'd buy it again. I have 2 old Siennas with over a million kms combined and so far haven't had any issues at all with the PacHy, which has 25,000km on it now.

The PacHy is smooth as silk, has great power, and is smaller and tighter than the Siennas. The mileage is great, the plugin amazing and I'd buy it again - even without the massive rebate we had here in Ontario.

·
Registered
22 Posts

-dude47

Just want to point out that perception is sometimes not reality. Yes, there are a lot of complaints on these forums about the Pacificas, but they are also leading sales numbers by a LOT in the minivan segment, meaning you will see a higher number of issues simply because way more have been sold than compared to say, the Sienna or Odyssey.

I did a quick search about how many minivans have sold in the past years and the top two articles that came up are both discussing how the Pacifica is crushing the market competitors.

Also note that both of these articles are in 2017. The trends are continuing in 2018.
Minivan Sales In America ? November 2017 | GCBC

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4037636-strong-u-s-minivan-sales-fiat-chrysler-now-large-honda-toyota-combined

Both Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey are losing market share to Pacifica right now.

This is my first ever Chrysler vehicle and my first ever minivan. We traded in a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder that had a full transmission replacement at 36k miles...no way I was going to keep owning that car without a warranty considering it was showing signs of similar transmission problems only 25k miles after it was replaced (sold at 60k miles).

To your questions:
How many miles are on your Pacifica Hybrid? About 600 miles

What issues of any have you had? Zero

Would you buy one again?

Absolutely, price was great, huge tax credit. Comfort (way more comfortable seats than our Nissan Pathfinder that also had leather seats) plus features are really nice and there's a ton of space. Plus, we are on track to get well over 1,000 miles on our current tank of gas.
We live in the pacific northwest where it's very rainy and snowing in the mountains. My Wife and I talked about losing AWD and realized we really only used AWD maybe once or twice a year (like 2 days a year), but have never actually *needed* it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
18,000 miles (about 17 months).

One minor issue with check engine light (dealer replaced a part under warranty and it was only in the shop for a couple of hours).

I would definitely buy it again. I drive over 80% electric around town, and it also gets around 30 mpg on road trips which is a lot better than my prior minivan. Between the tax credit and the fuel savings, I'm very happy with the Pacifica Hybrid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses guys. I am aware that most people only turn to the internet to complain. That's why I wanted to get some opinions other than in the complaint section.

We found a 2018 White/Black interior Limited with Safety Option and Some Upgraded wheels that I really don't care about. MSRP is 48,230 no Dealer Addons. After rebates and dealer discounts it is down to $41,800+TTL(CA yay F Sales Tax). I am strongly thinking about pulling the trigger on it. Does this discount seem reasonable for a 2018?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I’m very happy with my purchase of a touring L (mid version) I mid October. 2729 miles almost half in electric mode. Love the plug in! Only minor trim issue the warranty is covering repair. No major issues. Very comfortable and should work well for your 40 mile commute. True range about 30 miles. Then true mpg about 30-32 in ICE mode for me. I purchased from a far away dealer that had it as a loss leader and the local dealer didn’t have any issue servicing. I probably wouldn’t choose it if I lived in a really cold winter climate. But the NW coast area is moderate weather and not a problem for using it in electric most of the time for the first 30 miles. Enjoy!

·
Registered
64 Posts
You quoted an amazing price there! Go for it!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. I am aware that most people only turn to the internet to complain. That's why I wanted to get some opinions other than in the complaint section.
I saw a PacHy in the grocery store parking lot the other day. I hung out until the driver came back so I could compliment her on it. She was enthusiastic and said she loves it. I asked if she was a member of the online communities, but she had never heard of any forums or Facebook groups. She's probably representative of the majority of owners.

·
Registered
73 Posts
One thing to keep in mind buying a Pachy this time of year. If it's cold where you live, the ICE will run a lot for heat when it's 32 or below. The battery range is also much lower. I get about 32 miles when it's above 50 or so, and around 24 when it's cold.

Bottom line. The Pachy is good in the winter, but it's true value won't be fully appreciated until spring. For the way we use our van, the ICE runs about 40% of the miles in the winter, and only 20% of the miles when it's warmer. (Most of our trips are 30 miles or less.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
15,000 miles, (16 months). 1/2 electric, 1/2 gas.

No issues.

I would buy again. We now live in a 2nd/3rd story apartment, so it was a pain figuring out how to charge it out a 2nd story window, but it works. Unless you can charge it in town, you'll probably be electric for 30 miles there, and then 10 gas, and all gas on the way back.

Almost all daily city driving is electric. Long road trips are gas.

·
Registered
651 Posts

We found a 2018 White/Black interior Limited with Safety Option and Some Upgraded wheels that I really don't care about. MSRP is 48,230 no Dealer Addons. After rebates and dealer discounts it is down to $41,800+TTL(CA yay F Sales Tax). I am strongly thinking about pulling the trigger on it. Does this discount seem reasonable for a 2018?
$41,800 is a great price, can I ask what rebates exactly? Do you mean the federal and state incentives?

·
Registered
44 Posts

39880 is the floor of what I was able to negotiate. I paid 42,000 for the 2019

1 - 20 of 31 Posts