2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Pinnacle
15 Posts
Thank you GWBPacifica - in the grand scheme of things it is a first world problem but cannot see me putting my family back in this vehicle as my wife was almost rear ended on the interstate by a semi in this latest incident - she was still shaking when I got to her 20 minutes after. As you can imagine the average driver is nothing but hostile to the person who all of the sudden slows down and is trying to get to the media under coast power. I have engaged with legal counsel in terms of a lemon law claim which is pretty cut and dried for my experience and plan to move forward accordingly with this latest example of failure being the last straw. To answer your other question I have filed a NHTSA case, have a Chrysler Care rep for my case, and have asked over and over for the dealer to escalate w/ engineering as they do not appear to be prepared to diagnose and service this architecture. I really wanted the PHEV to work and loved the vehicle when it did but this last incident broke me. Sadly I have owned 7 Chrysler products (Jeep for the most part) but I have had such a bad experience with my dealer and in particular my service rep that I have purchased my last product through the FCA brand.

·
Registered
2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Pinnacle
15 Posts
Wanted to provide an update to anyone with a similar experience. After my vehicle failed again a few days after pickup it was returned to the dealer and the customer experience went from worse to horrible. I took the initiative to do something I should have done much earlier and called other Chrysler dealers in the area to discuss my situation and eventually had the car towed to a different dealership whose customer experience has been night and day. I am scheduled to pick it up after a transmission replacement this afternoon and hopeful that I have a resolution but would challenge anyone having a poor dealership experience to explore other options in your area as it has made a world of difference for me. Having your new car out of commission for months is not a great experience but having a dealer who is not responsive, not truthful, and not competent takes a bad experience and makes it miserable. It was my mistake to keep the vehicle with them as long as I did after repeated issues with them and my advice is if a dealer shows you who they are believe them the first time. Will update exactly the fix and post fix experience for the others on the thread as we go through the coming weeks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had the same issue. This is the second time this is happened to me driving 70 mph on the freeway with my children in the car. The first time about a year ago the dealer could not replicate the problem and the car started up again just fine. Now the dealer is telling me the transmission is shot. We are 3000 miles over the drivetrain warranty. A star case was opened and I am speaking with Chrysler care of Goodwill department to get assistance

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Pinnacle
9 Posts
I am having the same issue. I got my 2021 Hybrid Pinnacle back in January 2021 and have had nothing but problems. Right after getting it started off pressing the start button would not start the engine with the brake pressed. You could turn the gear selector but it would just flash. To get the car running I have to shut it down multiple times, open the door to let it sleep and keep trying to eventually it starts. Happens a few times a month. Dealer can never recreate.

Then a few months later while driving would get get the message Service Charging System and check engine light would come on. When you would plug it in, the lights on the dash would just blink and it would not start charging. What i think are the battery fans would spin up and get very loud but no charging. Around 2-5 days later the message would go away and would charge again. Happens around 1-2x times per month for the past year. Took it two different dealers multiple times and neither could recreate the issue.

Then in April 2022 the car died while driving on the freeway, around 75 mph after about 3 hours. Got the same Service Charging System, Shift to P To Start, Check Engine Light, Drive Indicator flashes with plug icon, and the gear selector flashes. Have to try restarting multiple times, let the vehicle go to sleep also helps. Happened twice in the span of 15 minutes. Took it in for service, they tried to replace some of the wiring and happened again the next day twice while on the freeway. Took it again for service and they replaced the wiring harness and transmission sensor and this weekend on 5/1 when pulling into my driveway the engine cut off again, luckily this time in a much safer spot. Happens with kids in the car, so a major safety hazard. Back in for service again and they still have no idea how resolve. Total of 5 times so far. Told them about others experiencing the issues and the NHTSA reports. I reported my own 11463043.

Other issues experienced, since getting the vehicle randomly the power lift gate buttons to close the door would just beep and do nothing from the back door, fob, or front control. Would have to manually shut the door. Then after doing the recall Y50 back in November 2021, three times the liftgate would appear to be closed and latched but while driving it would pop open. The door closes, but the latch does not make any indication/sound its trying to lock it. Like the door is not sensing its closed. To resolve have had to manually open and close it many times, turning the car off and on multiple times, and letting it go to sleep it would eventually latch. Happened once in January, February, and March 2022. Reported that one to NHTSA as well since its safety related 1143055.

Back in November 2021, the UConnect internet connection failed, could not use any of the app features, car could not connect to any internet based services in car wifi did not work. They diagnosed the issue to the cellular module in the car, took about 3 months to get the part and they finally replaced it. Started working again and then the in car wifi stopped for about two weeks, could not check the box to engage it, would do nothing. Eventually started working again. However, its pretty useless because I am only getting between 2-8Mbps when speed testing which causes anything streaming to constantly buffer. Making it a big waste of money. Dealer cannot figure out anything wrong with it, but that is not LTE speeds. I disconnect from the wifi on my AT&T iPhone 13 Pro Max and i get 50Mbps+ on LTE and 150 Mbps on 5G.

Randomly the UConnect system crashes, screen goes black, sometimes the Chrysler logo comes up and it starts working again, but about half the time stays black and cannot control anything. Rear TVs will reboot, you can see the linux bootloader and will come back up, but not the front screen.

CarPlay only works maybe 50% of the time, both wired and wireless on my iPhone 13 Pro Max, same happened on my older iPhone 11 Pro . Just sits there spinning on connecting, which you cannot interrupt. Have deleted my phone multiple times, have tried other phones and same thing happens.

If you are on an incline and in drive and come to a stop when you let off the brake the vehicle rolls back. But then if you brake it holds and does not happen again. But continue to randomly do it. Luckily have not ran into anything but it can be dangerous if someone is too close behind you.

So frustrated and over all the issues I continue to have, has been in 10-15 times over the past year trying to fix issues and most of the times they can't fix it. They of course never have loaners or rental cars available. This is our primary hauler for our kids for preschool and is a constant impact. Don't know what to do at this point.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
I just had the same issue. This is the second time this is happened to me driving 70 mph on the freeway with my children in the car. The first time about a year ago the dealer could not replicate the problem and the car started up again just fine. Now the dealer is telling me the transmission is shot. We are 3000 miles over the drivetrain warranty. A star case was opened and I am speaking with Chrysler care of Goodwill department to get assistance
Do you have a hybrid at 103,000 or 153,000 miles?

If it is a hybrid 2017-2021 the transaxle is warranted for 10-Year 100,000/150,000 miles depending on your state. 2022 8-Year 100,000/150,000 miles depending on your state.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
I am having the same issue. I got my 2021 Hybrid Pinnacle back in January 2021 and have had nothing but problems. Right after getting it started off pressing the start button would not start the engine with the brake pressed. You could turn the gear selector but it would just flash. To get the car running I have to shut it down multiple times, open the door to let it sleep and keep trying to eventually it starts. Happens a few times a month. Dealer can never recreate.
Fixed by TSB Software updates (June 2021) for PCM, HCP, and AHCP. Those updates caused the ECH issues. :rolleyes: In return, another round of software updates (TSB 08-052-22 March 11, 2022) was released for the PCM, HCP, and AHCP addressing the ECH issue as well as several other issues.

Then a few months later while driving would get get the message Service Charging System and check engine light would come on. When you would plug it in, the lights on the dash would just blink and it would not start charging. What i think are the battery fans would spin up and get very loud but no charging. Around 2-5 days later the message would go away and would charge again. Happens around 1-2x times per month for the past year. Took it two different dealers multiple times and neither could recreate the issue.
Could be the EVSE. Some EVSEs don't play well with the Pacifica hybrid.

Then in April 2022 the car died while driving on the freeway, around 75 mph after about 3 hours. Got the same Service Charging System, Shift to P To Start, Check Engine Light, Drive Indicator flashes with plug icon, and the gear selector flashes. Have to try restarting multiple times, let the vehicle go to sleep also helps. Happened twice in the span of 15 minutes. Took it in for service, they tried to replace some of the wiring and happened again the next day twice while on the freeway. Took it again for service and they replaced the wiring harness and transmission sensor and this weekend on 5/1 when pulling into my driveway the engine cut off again, luckily this time in a much safer spot. Happens with kids in the car, so a major safety hazard. Back in for service again and they still have no idea how resolve. Total of 5 times so far. Told them about others experiencing the issues and the NHTSA reports. I reported my own 11463043.
That sucks! Been reported several times here. The fix has been PIM or complete transaxle replacement. It is very rare the PIM replacement will fix the issue as a few have stated after the PIM replacement the problem was not resolved until the transaxle was replaced.

Other issues experienced, since getting the vehicle randomly the power lift gate buttons to close the door would just beep and do nothing from the back door, fob, or front control. Would have to manually shut the door. Then after doing the recall Y50 back in November 2021, three times the liftgate would appear to be closed and latched but while driving it would pop open. The door closes, but the latch does not make any indication/sound its trying to lock it. Like the door is not sensing its closed. To resolve have had to manually open and close it many times, turning the car off and on multiple times, and letting it go to sleep it would eventually latch. Happened once in January, February, and March 2022. Reported that one to NHTSA as well since its safety related 1143055.
Sounds like a hardware problem unrelated to the software recall.

Back in November 2021, the UConnect internet connection failed, could not use any of the app features, car could not connect to any internet based services in car wifi did not work. They diagnosed the issue to the cellular module in the car, took about 3 months to get the part and they finally replaced it. Started working again and then the in car wifi stopped for about two weeks, could not check the box to engage it, would do nothing. Eventually started working again. However, its pretty useless because I am only getting between 2-8Mbps when speed testing which causes anything streaming to constantly buffer. Making it a big waste of money. Dealer cannot figure out anything wrong with it, but that is not LTE speeds. I disconnect from the wifi on my AT&T iPhone 13 Pro Max and i get 50Mbps+ on LTE and 150 Mbps on 5G.
My unlimited data AT&T 4G in-car WiFi averages 3Mbps to 20Mbps depending on tower distance, vehicle speed, and the number of devices connected.

Randomly the UConnect system crashes, screen goes black, sometimes the Chrysler logo comes up and it starts working again, but about half the time stays black and cannot control anything. Rear TVs will reboot, you can see the linux bootloader and will come back up, but not the front screen.
Mine did that. Resolved by two Uconnect OTAUs and TSB 08-104-21. There have also been a few VRM updates (TSB 08-018-21) addressing issues with the rear Uconnect Theater screens.

CarPlay only works maybe 50% of the time, both wired and wireless on my iPhone 13 Pro Max, same happened on my older iPhone 11 Pro . Just sits there spinning on connecting, which you cannot interrupt. Have deleted my phone multiple times, have tried other phones and same thing happens.
Several have reported factory resetting the Uconnect head unit resolves this issue.

If you are on an incline and in drive and come to a stop when you let off the brake the vehicle rolls back. But then if you brake it holds and does not happen again. But continue to randomly do it. Luckily have not ran into anything but it can be dangerous if someone is too close behind you.
Depending on the grade of the incline, every vehicle I have ever owned will roll backward.

So frustrated and over all the issues I continue to have, has been in 10-15 times over the past year trying to fix issues and most of the times they can't fix it. They of course never have loaners or rental cars available. This is our primary hauler for our kids for preschool and is a constant impact. Don't know what to do at this point.
If you don't want it, there has never been a better time to get out of it with used vehicle prices sky-high. Sold my 2018 for more than I paid new and upgraded to a 2021. Both vehicles have been excellent aside from the buggy crap software developers at Stellantis pushing bad updates.

Reactions: h2osnake

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thank you GWBPacifica - in the grand scheme of things it is a first world problem but cannot see me putting my family back in this vehicle as my wife was almost rear ended on the interstate by a semi in this latest incident - she was still shaking when I got to her 20 minutes after. As you can imagine the average driver is nothing but hostile to the person who all of the sudden slows down and is trying to get to the media under coast power. I have engaged with legal counsel in terms of a lemon law claim which is pretty cut and dried for my experience and plan to move forward accordingly with this latest example of failure being the last straw. To answer your other question I have filed a NHTSA case, have a Chrysler Care rep for my case, and have asked over and over for the dealer to escalate w/ engineering as they do not appear to be prepared to diagnose and service this architecture. I really wanted the PHEV to work and loved the vehicle when it did but this last incident broke me. Sadly I have owned 7 Chrysler products (Jeep for the most part) but I have had such a bad experience with my dealer and in particular my service rep that I have purchased my last product through the FCA brand.
This is my big concern as well. We experienced near identical issues as you had with our 2020 Limited PACHY back in early 2021 and we only had 6,000 miles on it. I wrote about it here: Just got our van back after 7+ weeks at dealership service, over 700 miles from our home. Here's the story so far. | 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums (pacificaforums.com)

It took about 2 months to get our van back. The scary part was that it died while traveling 70mph on the freeway, also with semi's everywhere. We were about 700 miles from home and 70+ miles from the nearest dealership. We had to ride the shoulder very slowly or the PACHY would shut off again. About 2 miles of this, finally made it to the only parts store anywhere nearby and it died for the last time, would not start again. Anyway, long story short, had the whole transmission replaced. We are also going through the lemon law process. As I type this the van is back at the dealership service for yet another issue (and backlogged parts), we were instructed to no longer drive it long distances due to the recent issue.

It's our family van (3 kids in child seats, Wife and myself)....and it's extremely dangerous to just have it shutdown randomly. It's obviously not an isolated incident and should not be happening this frequently with such new vehicles. The 2nd time we had it towed was because the bolts literally fell out of the front right control arm, so the van was steering itself randomly despite where you turned the steering wheel. We had 4 kids in the van when that happened, it tried to send us head-on into oncoming traffic. Problem after problem.

FCA/Chrysler is extremely lucky these incidents haven't resulted in serious injury or death...it's just a matter of time, unfortunately. And I don't gamble with my family's safety, so we are getting rid of the van ASAP and will not touch a chrysler product again.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts

BTW, you can run your VIN here and see if you have any outstanding RRRs.

Fleet - Recall/Rapid Response Inquiry (chrysler.com)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fixed by TSB Software updates (June 2021) for PCM, HCP, and AHCP. Those updates caused the ECH issues. :rolleyes: In return, another round of software updates (TSB 08-052-22 March 11, 2022) was released for the PCM, HCP, and AHCP addressing the ECH issue as well as several other issues.

Could be the EVSE. Some EVSEs don't play well with the Pacifica hybrid.

That sucks! Been reported several times here. The fix has been PIM or complete transaxle replacement. It is very rare the PIM replacement will fix the issue as a few have stated after the PIM replacement the problem was not resolved until the transaxle was replaced.

Sounds like a hardware problem unrelated to the software recall.

My unlimited data AT&T 4G in-car WiFi averages 3Mbps to 20Mbps depending on tower distance, vehicle speed, and the number of devices connected.

Mine did that. Resolved by two Uconnect OTAUs and TSB 08-104-21. There have also been a few VRM updates (TSB 08-018-21) addressing issues with the rear Uconnect Theater screens.

Several have reported factory resetting the Uconnect head unit resolves this issue.

Depending on the grade of the incline, every vehicle I have ever owned will roll backward.

If you don't want it, there has never been a better time to get out of it with used vehicle prices sky-high. Sold my 2018 for more than I paid new and upgraded to a 2021. Both vehicles have been excellent.
Thanks so much for all the advice, have it at the dealer again today and will let them know your suggestions! Also contacted Chrysler Cares and got a case opened up so will see if they can help as well.

I have a stock level 1 EVSE and have tried two of them. Have not gone third party to prevent any issues. Before it was just annoying with the message, but the engine failure is a much bigger problem. What makes me not think its the EVSE is it happens while driving specifically, before it would just be the message and not charge, now the message happens with the engine failure. Seems to me it's the same underlying issue getting worse, transaxle is highly suspect.

Nice that you were able to get up to 20 Mbps, never can get above 8 when i try, and normally 2-5 Mbps, pretty much 3G speeds which the kids can't really stream anything on long trips. turned to just using iPads and tethering with my phone, but not ideal at all. Would think the car with an antenna would get better speeds than an iPhone in a metal box. Guess their radios just are not that great.

I have factory reset UConnect twice with no change, but may try again after the updates.

Definitely a good situation with the used prices right now. The downside is trying to get anything else with even higher prices, demand, going over MSRP, etc. Love the Pacifica, just hate the issues. Its perfect for kids when it works. I think we just lost the car lottery. Would love if they just replaced it, but i am sure that is a tough process.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
I have a stock level 1 EVSE and have tried two of them. Have not gone third party to prevent any issues. Before it was just annoying with the message, but the engine failure is a much bigger problem. What makes me not think its the EVSE is it happens while driving specifically, before it would just be the message and not charge, now the message happens with the engine failure. Seems to me it's the same underlying issue getting worse, transaxle is highly suspect.
The stock EVSE will randomly throw that service charging system screen if it is not on a dedicated circuit and the 110 outlet cannot handle the amps required causing the plug to get hot tripping the temperature sensor in the plug shutting down the EVSE until it cools. These conditions can freak out the onboard charger if power flow stops and it detects the handle has not been removed while it is charging.

Don't forget to check this out. You might need to inform your dealer if anything comes up and they have not checked for these.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The stock EVSE will randomly throw that service charging system screen if it is not on a dedicated circuit and the 110 outlet cannot handle the amps required causing the plug to get hot tripping the temperature sensor in the plug shutting down the EVSE until it cools. These conditions can freak out the onboard charger if power flow stops and it detects the handle has not been removed while it is charging.

Don't forget to check this out. You might need to inform your dealer if anything comes up and they have not checked for these.

Thats a very good point on the circuit, of course don't currently have a dedicated circuit in the garage so its definitely shared so would have to run one. Probably would make more sense at that point to just get a 240 level 2 circuit done for future proofing.

After working back and forth with Chrysler Cares and the Dealer today they said they are condemning the transmission but of course that process takes awhile. Hopefully it fixes the issue!

I did run the recall check on the site and nothing was found. Typically that info has shown up for me on the Mopar app.

Thanks for all the advice on this!

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Does anyone have a copy of TSB 08-052-22 they can post here? Or has that been posted already?
All I have is a partial top of the TSB provided by Chrysler cares. They only seem to provide images rather than the full PDF file.

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Document

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got my vehicle back. Dealer wanted to replace the transmission but Chrysler Engineering came out and denied the request and had them replace the PIM instead. Will see if that fixes the problem. This only happens on our van after driving for like 3 hours on the highway and 0% on the battery. Will be doing a road trip in it this weekend, so will know if the root cause of this issue is the transaxle or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@ChryslerCares — It happened to us - we were going 65mph on the interstate, and the car suddenly lost power. Thankfully we were able to cross lanes and coast to the shoulder without getting rear-ended by a semi. This is unacceptable - even if the van wasn’t less than a year old, no one should experience this!

We got the service charging system warning. I was unable to start the van for a few minutes but finally one of my attempts worked. We had it towed to the nearest dealer. We had been driving about 3.5 hours when it happened, with two kids and three adults in the car, now greatly delayed en route to a wedding and backcountry camping trip another 10 hours away. That $40/day car rental reimbursement does not come close to covering rental costs these days…. I will definitely file with the NHTSA, thanks for everyone’s stories and advice on here.

·
Registered
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Touring L
6 Posts
I just got the service charging system error on my 2022. I did t suffer engine power loss or anything. I have less that 2500 miles on the vehicle and I can’t even charge it with the provided level 1 charger. Frustrating thing to have happen while on vacation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ran into this issue as well where rental cars were so much more expensive then that. I searched for hours and the only way I could get it under that amount was to book through Costco Travel. Not sure if you are a member but they ended up being way cheaper compared to all discounts and statuses I have with car rental agencies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got the service charging system error on my 2022. I did t suffer engine power loss or anything. I have less that 2500 miles on the vehicle and I can’t even charge it with the provided level 1 charger. Frustrating thing to have happen while on vacation.
Mine started that way too. The message would come up while driving and cannot charge for a few days and clear itself over time. It eventually progressed to the stall after about a year. So I think the issue degrades over time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update on my issue. After the PIM replacement i started getting Service Charging System error and CELs. Had two stalls after getting it replaced.

Has been back at dealer for 10 days and no end in sight. I am pushing harder for transaxle replacement or buyback. Chrysler Cares says rental car replacement is maximum 10 days which I am pushing back on.

This is a major safety issue. We have two small children like most in this forum, minivans are built for families. Reports on this happening go back over a year and still no recall. When does the NHTSA launch an investigation? Does someone have to die for action?

When it stalls with no way to restart until the vehicle sleeps is really dangerous on the freeway. You have to get over going slower then traffic and with construction don’t always have a shoulder.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts