2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Pacifica Touring L last week, and am disappointed at the high amount of road noise on the highway. On the rougher concrete surfaces the noise is louder than my old Dodge Caravan... and more than half the roads are not smooth. It's quiet on the smoother surfaces, and in town at slower speeds, but there are a lot of rough highway surfaces out there.
Their sales pitch on noise cancelling is quite misleading... it works well when everything is perfect... but not very well on the "average" road, as it seems to have no impact on road noise at all, and provides no improvement over their older models.
Otherwise, the van performs very well.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Your Touring L edition has the Active Noise Cancelation system. Not the Active Noise Control system that is standard in the L-Plus and Limited. The Touring L Plus and Limited also get the Acoustic Windshield standard. Yours doesn't. Also don't use the rear fan for A/C or heat. Inflate your tires a tad higher. It could quiet it down some.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
17's?

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you have the factory-fill of >10 psi over the recommended pressure, let some air out of the tires.

Ours came with way too much pressure and thumped like crazy over expansion strips. It's much quieter now with correct air pressures.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Your Touring L edition has the Active Noise Cancelation system. Not the Active Noise Control system that is standard in the L-Plus and Limited. The Touring L Plus and Limited also get the Acoustic Windshield standard. Yours doesn't. Also don't use the rear fan for A/C or heat. Inflate your tires a tad higher. It could quiet it down some.
Do you care to explain the difference between the two systems (in case you have that information) you mentioned please. I also noticed a little road noise in a Touring L which I rented recently. Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Road surfaces make a significant difference. My limited is very quiet. I wouldn't say Lexus quiet. But in its class its quiet. We just came back from a road trip to Michigan where we encountered different types of highway surfaces. Noticeable difference.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The noise cancellation works on constant noise sources. Things like the exhaust, wind noise, tire noise. The sound of bumps, expansion joints, etc. will not be reduced by the noise cancellation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody know for sure what noise cancelling feature is on the 2018 PACIFICA HYBRID that has LEATHER SEATS, but no MOONROOF.

I still hear considerable road noise on some surfaces. Haven't checked tire pressure yet to see if tires are over-pressurized.

My Ford Expedition for example with Michelin Defender tires does NOT have any noise cancelling circuitry .. But is whisper quiet.

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anybody know for sure what noise cancelling feature is on the 2018 PACIFICA HYBRID that has LEATHER SEATS, but no MOONROOF.

I still hear considerable road noise on some surfaces. Haven't checked tire pressure yet to see if tires are over-pressurized.

My Ford Expedition for example with Michelin Defender tires does NOT have any noise cancelling circuitry .. But is whisper quiet.

Thanks
Yeah check your tire pressure. Mine were at 46 psi! Regarding your expedition body on frame SUVS tend to have less ROAD noise.

·
Registered
293 Posts
After about 3 weeks in our Pacifica Limited, I have realized it is a little louder in the cabin than I would have thought. Having owned a newer Grand Cherokee Summit and now a Cadillac both of which are extremely quiet on the inside. I think the Pac Limited is good, but being a large open minivan it’s not easy to make it luxury car quiet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also wonder about the tires... I don't think they're the best and I know some tires can add a lot to road noise. As has been pointed out, the van is very quiet on smooth surfaces, so almost all of the noise is coming from the interaction between the tires and the road surface.

Dave

·
Registered
293 Posts
For the heck of it I drive another Pacifica today to see if the interior noise is identical to what I hear on mine. Sure enough it is and it’s the same area behind my head and to the left. So I’m gonna say it’s just thin glass on the sliding doors. Makes me feel better that it’s normal and again it’s not loud, just louder than I have been used to in other cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am noticing the same on my 18 Limited. Sounds like louder than normal road/wind noise coming from the sliding door glass. As you mentioned it is likely thin glass. I also notice louder than average road noise...I have the 18" rims. We also have a 16 Buick Enclave and a 17 Sierra which are very quiet vehicles..maybe I am just used to quality, quiet GM vehicles. Love the van, but am a bit disappointed in the road/wind noise. Glad im not the only one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just replaced the OEM Yokohama Avid S34RV tires (17K on the ODO) with Michelin Defender LTX. Road noise went down considerably -- sounds like a luxury vehicle: solid and smooth. The steering is sharper as well with these Michelins.

Have a Touring L with Alpine, so the acoustic windshield + Active Noise Cancellation is included. Maybe better than the lower spec package.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm sure the tires made a huge difference...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Our '18 Touring L+ with 18" Michelin Premiers is much quieter than our '10 T&C Limited with 17" Michelin Defenders, but there is a certain kind of concrete road that makes our tires "sing" very loudly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 2019 Hybrid Limited and can hear the active noise cancellation coming from the speakers when the radio is off. I thought the point was to make it less noisy. Is there a way to turn it off?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts