2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Follow up on this?

same thing here...
Nah, I'm still fighting it. I just bought another gallon of coolant. I've used one gallon in about 40,000 miles and about 3 years. Not sure if it's worth the trouble to battle with the dealer to try an get it fixed before warranty expires (if they don't already have some loophole to get out of it anyway).

After 5 years, my Jeep actually appears to have stopped using coolant. Maybe a pinhole leak corroded over or something.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nah, I'm still fighting it. I just bought another gallon of coolant. I've used one gallon in about 40,000 miles and about 3 years. Not sure if it's worth the trouble to battle with the dealer to try an get it fixed before warranty expires (if they don't already have some loophole to get out of it anyway).

After 5 years, my Jeep actually appears to have stopped using coolant. Maybe a pinhole leak corroded over or something.
Is that covered under powertrain warranty? or bumper to bumper?

I am taking mine into dealer monday and will report findings....

curious.. when you top off, where do you fill to? the MIN line? when it gets hot, I see it rises, assuming to MAX Line?
thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
I expect it should be covered under powertrain, but I don't know. If not, I'm not covered.

I typically check it cold, in which case I fill to just above the min line. I don't expect it's super critical until it is quite low. When I first noticed this problem, it was barely above the hose level and took a quarter gallon to get to min.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I've got a 2017 Touring L with 66k and have noticed signs that I may have a coolant leak. I have a gurgling behind the dash after car shutdown (air in the line?) and my coolant reservoir is well below the minimum level (leaking someplace). Reading online here, I am seeing that radiator leaks are common with this car/year? I haven't noticed any pooling of fluid under the car, but haven't inspected anything inside. I haven't been to the dealer yet to have this investigated, but growing a bit frustrated in concern that we do have leak someplace.
Any update on this issue? At 48,000 miles, I started hearing a gurgling sound behind the dash. Checked coolant level and it was about the minimum level cold. Added some coolant. I will check it this week to see if there are any changes. I have an extended warranty and can ask about the coolant/gurgling sound the next time I get the oil changed if it seems like there is a problem. (It helps if I can suggest where to look if there is a small leak.)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Any update on this issue? At 48,000 miles, I started hearing a gurgling sound behind the dash. Checked coolant level and it was about the minimum level cold. Added some coolant. I will check it this week to see if there are any changes. I have an extended warranty and can ask about the coolant/gurgling sound the next time I get the oil changed if it seems like there is a problem. (It helps if I can suggest where to look if there is a small leak.)
This may or may not be related to your experience, but around 50k miles, ours seemed to have burped out a large air bubble from somewhere as the level in the coolant tank seemed to go from normal to almost nonexistent pretty quickly. I was worried that we had a leak, but didn't smell anything. I topped it off and have checked it for several months and over 6k miles and the level doesn't appear to have changed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
We are now past the 100k mark, and this issue has largely resolved. I think. We had to add quite a bit of coolant when this problem first came about, but the most significant thing that happened was about two months ago is that we hit a large strip of semi truck tire retread on the freeway which caused a mess to our front end. (Just as an aside, if the Pacifica had the ground clearance of even the Sienna, it probably wouldn't have been an issue). It ruined the radiator among other things, and it was replaced with another super-duty radiator (the kind specified for the tow package). Since then we haven't had the same level of gurgling, though because of the previous problems of "mystery" coolant loss, I check the coolant regularly and we are down to just the bottom line in the safe range. So a small loss, but not enough to convince me the problem is back. Was replacement of the radiator and hoses what fixed it? Maybe!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
We are now past the 100k mark, and this issue has largely resolved. I think. We had to add quite a bit of coolant when this problem first came about, but the most significant thing that happened was about two months ago is that we hit a large strip of semi truck tire retread on the freeway which caused a mess to our front end. (Just as an aside, if the Pacifica had the ground clearance of even the Sienna, it probably wouldn't have been an issue). It ruined the radiator among other things, and it was replaced with another super-duty radiator (the kind specified for the tow package). Since then we haven't had the same level of gurgling, though because of the previous problems of "mystery" coolant loss, I check the coolant regularly and we are down to just the bottom line in the safe range. So a small loss, but not enough to convince me the problem is back. Was replacement of the radiator and hoses what fixed it? Maybe!
Thanks for the update. I'll keep checking the coolant level. I haven't heard the gurgling sound for awhile. I wonder if it occurs more after the AC has been on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am losing coolant also. 2017 Pacifica Limited has 26K miles on it and the coolant has been added twice once by me and the last time by the dealer.

Dealer looked for leaks at my last visit, in December, but couldn't find any.

I have noticed a pattern on the loss. When I go on 4 hour highway trips round trip the coolant level will drop from max to min.

Around town with normal stop and go driving the van won't loose coolant.

I plan to do a coolant pressure test this weekend to see if I can detect any leaks, but with such small loss it's doubtful any loss will be noticed.

Here's my theory, since the leakage is small and occurs only on extended highway trips, I think the leakage is around the oil cooler/oil filter assembly in the center base of the engine.

Looking at youtube and doing a search on 3.6 repairs, that unit has a tendency to leak oil or antifreeze as it ages and the o-rings break down...... Not what I would call a good design.

I'll update as things progress....

Greg

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I am losing coolant also. 2017 Pacifica Limited has 26K miles on it and the coolant has been added twice once by me and the last time by the dealer.

I have noticed a pattern on the loss. When I go on 4 hour highway trips round trip the coolant level will drop from max to min.

I plan to do a coolant pressure test this weekend to see if I can detect any leaks, but with such small loss it's doubtful any loss will be noticed.

Here's my theory, since the leakage is small and occurs only on extended highway trips, I think the leakage is around the oil cooler/oil filter assembly in the center base of the engine.

Looking at youtube and doing a search on 3.6 repairs, that unit has a tendency to leak oil or antifreeze as it ages and the o-rings break down...... Not what I would call a good design.

Greg
Hey Greg,

If you continue to experience concerns, please feel free to follow up privately as we would be happy to see how we can assist further on our end!

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Limited S
1 Posts
I recently bought a used 2018 and noticed the coolant was a bit low and I was smelling antifreeze after the engine was hot. Took it in and the dealer seems to think its an issue with the thermostat. I'm not sure how that would cause an external leak but am willing to let them change it. The problem is the thermostat is back-ordered nationally and isn't available at this time.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I recently bought a used 2018 and noticed the coolant was a bit low and I was smelling antifreeze after the engine was hot. Took it in and the dealer seems to think its an issue with the thermostat. I'm not sure how that would cause an external leak but am willing to let them change it. The problem is the thermostat is back-ordered nationally and isn't available at this time.
Hello R_Mac_1,

Please feel free to check your inbox as we were able to respond to your private message.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
2020 Gas Pacifica Touring L+; (prev 2017 Touring L+)
860 Posts

Greg
While this doesn't quite match what you are experiencing, it is a possibility. I had a 1986 Pontiac Parisienne wagon. If I went a short distance (about a mile) and stopped at a store, there would be a green stain under the radiator. If I went a significant distance, no leak at first stop. In any case, once it was fully warm, no more leaking, and it did NOT leak on cooldown. It took a couple of trips to the dealer for them to properly duplicate the issue and they replaced the radiator.

It is possible you have the same thing, and engine compartments are so much more packed these days that the leaking fluid may evaporate without a trace or ground stain.

·
Super Moderator
570 Posts
I recently had my coolant reservoir replaced - it had a hairline crack where the pressurized return line (the tiny one on top) connects to the reservoir.

·
Registered
64 Posts
On Youtube, the Motor City Mechanic (a Mopar Tech) addresses how to bleed the cooling system after replacing the water pump on the Pentastar 3.6.

The bleeding process starts at 16 minutes into the video.

Some of us that have experience gurgling sounds and no signs of leaking with a periodic fluid level drop may have some air in the cooling system.

There are two Mopar dealer techs that have very good Youtube videos the other is the Online Mechanic, both are worth subscribing to....

There are 2 takeaways from the above video link, as follows: they replace a number of water pumps on the 3.6 due to leaking/failure about the 120K + miles as I recall, and when the water pump is replaced or the coolant system is drained, it is critical to bleed the air from the system or the trapped air could cause the engine to overheat.

My coolant level has been holding steady at the Min mark when cold, since it was last topped up by the dealer, which has been about 6 months ago and 4K miles with one 500 mile round trip. So, nothing to worry about.......

·
Registered
179 Posts
I recently had my coolant reservoir replaced - it had a hairline crack where the pressurized return line (the tiny one on top) connects to the reservoir.
I recently inspected the reservoir on our van. I don't see any actual coolant anywhere, but I definitely saw a distinct water run in the dirt on the reservoir coming from one of the small hose connections. I think this may the the source of our coolant loss too. It seems plausible that most of the coolant loss would occur on long trips where the engine is running at higher RPM for a sustained period of time. We normally make a few five hour road trips a year so this would make sense in our case.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts