2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has done the math or help in checking my math. My Costco gas price is around 1.89 in the nyc area. If my math if right I pay about .28/kWh, works out to be $3.60/ charge. I think I get around 33-35mpg on gas alone (with ac and driving on monthly highway) I estimate with ac on highway with electric gets me around upper 20’s. On a 100 mile drive, I think it’s cheaper if I go all gas vs a combo of electric and gas with thee mpg stats. (Trying to keep it short so not doing all the math here)

can someone confirm my logic in coming to this conclusion?

Or is anyone else thinking about not charging and just go all gas with low gas prices? i think my break even is around $2/ gallon on good ol dinosaur pee..

just to be clear I’m not talking about big dollars, just pennies on a per mile basis.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Well let’s post some pics of ice mpg that you get say after 500 miles and then you’ll see what you get for real mpg . Then do a plug in with same 500 miles and see what you get . I would say if your driving all highway then why plug it in .

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited Advanced Safety Tec Group
34 Posts
i'm averaging just under 3 miles per KW electric only = 30 miles costs 10KW at your price thats $2.80
in Hybrid (ICE running) most i would expect is 30 miles per gallon = thats $1.89 at your price

in my case electric is $0.11/KW or $1.10 to go 30 miles vs todays gas price in my area of $1.95/gallon.
(i have not yet put ANY gas in ours - it has less than 1000 miles on it total a little under 200 (20%) in Hybrid mode, used about 1/2 a tank so around 22 mpg average for hybrid mode).

·
Registered
93 Posts
So, it costs you about $3.60 for the full charge minus the $1.89 for the equivalent gallon of gas, or $1.71 extra to run about 1-gallons worth of range 30 miles on electric power instead of gasoline.

That's one gallon of gas each trip that you did not burn and pollute the environment, if you fully charge before the 100 mile trip.

Sure, you can make that trip on gas without fully charging the hybrid battery for $1.71 cheaper, but you are also releasing about 20 more pounds of CO2 every trip. Consider the $1.71 an investment in the future of the planet for the benefit of the next generations.

Reactions: ScorpyMjolnir

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Ocean Blue w/ Mocha interior, AST, Tri-panoroof, UTheater
60 Posts
Sadly, it depends on what kind of power plant your electricity is coming from. You can find a rough average at this EPA site: Power Profiler | US EPA
If you live in the worst US region (southern Illinois or Missouri), you get 70% of your energy from coal-fired power plants. So, purely by the numbers, in those areas it could actually be better to burn gas in hybrid mode for those 30 miles, unless you have your own power source (like solar or wind). In my area, I try to charge at least once a week at our local college's free charge station that is fed by solar panels, just to help a tiny bit.

The other side of the coin is that regardless of the emissions per mile, there is an environmental cost to the infrastructure for both gas stations and electric power, as well as manufacturing the batteries and cars that hold them. The "environmental cost rabbit hole" is deep and wide, and everyone skews the data one way or another to make a point. Personally, I just don't like giving any more money to oil companies than I have to. (Not that I love nuclear power or building dams everywhere...)

In almost every calculation, though, you are reducing emissions just by driving a hybrid at all. Also, I love the quiet and power of driving in the battery-only mode. Do what makes sense for you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, it costs you about $3.60 for the full charge minus the $1.89 for the equivalent gallon of gas, or $1.71 extra to run about 1-gallons worth of range 30 miles on electric power instead of gasoline.

That's one gallon of gas each trip that you did not burn and pollute the environment, if you fully charge before the 100 mile trip.

Sure, you can make that trip on gas without fully charging the hybrid battery for $1.71 cheaper, but you are also releasing about 20 more pounds of CO2 every trip. Consider the $1.71 an investment in the future of the planet for the benefit of the next generations.
I couldn’t agree with you more on the environmental impact, since I’ve invested a few grand to get the hybrid, what’s another $1.71...;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ground level pollution is reason enough for me to pay more for my hybrid. I also love that my solar panels (another expensive/poor investment) full up my tanks.
Now if I could just get my annoying neighbor to stop idling his new highlander that he doesn't drive for an hour every day.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
554 Posts
You spent thousands extra to buy a hybrid and now are sweating pennies on the charge? Just do the air quality a favor and plug it in. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would much rather use electricity than gas, even if it costs me more money. If you charge overnight or during off peak hours, your carbon footprint even using coal based electricity is much reduced if not eliminated. Off peak vs. peak use of electricity is often ignored when discussing environmental impact of coal fired electricity. During off peak times, more electricity is produced by base load utility plants (coal and nuclear) than is being used by consumers. Therefore you are using electricity that normally be "wasted" and are essentially not polluting at all since no extra coal had to be burned to meet the demand of your charging. I pay an hourly rate for electricity and thus a I charge overnight when rates are considerably cheaper than during the day. Anybody with an electric car should look into signing up to pay hourly rates for their electricity.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Here in Ontario we can plug in at stores, shopping centres , rev centres , parking lots and it’s free . So even with price of gas it’s a no brainer for me . Even with cheap gas , plugging in , regen braking I’m driving at 42 real world mpg and if good with that . So even with cheap gas use it for why you bought it .

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have solar panels, best investment ever! I have the hybrid to save the environment. Currently I'm not charging in order to use up the gas in the tank before it gets stale since with CV-19 I am driving so little.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited Advanced Safety Tec Group
34 Posts
Update:

I had to put gas in to exit FORM (it was hybrid only no electric only due to gas being 90+ days old).

Gas mileage = to fill it required 10.737 gallons, 255.8 Hybrid miles = 23.8 mpg

Coincidentally, I've added approximately 218.7 KW at a electric cost of $22.49 to go 693.3 "electric" miles. (Using e10 gasoline 1 gallon = 32.78 KW, 218.7 KW = 6.6702 gallons)

Electric mileage = 6.6702 gallon equivalent to go 693.3 miles = 103.9 MPGe (includes "electric" miles that were provided when in Hybrid mode)

Average mileage = 17.407 gallons to go 949.1 miles = 54.5 MPGe

10.737 + 6.6702 = 17.407 gallons
255.7 + 693.3 = 949.1 miles

my 2009 Grand Caravan averaged 21.2 mpg over 87000 miles

·
Super Moderator
1,962 Posts
True, when gas is cheap and electricity is expensive, charging may end up costing more. I pay $0.12/kwh, and driving gas is cheaper if it is under $1.40 or so- which happened only once. Even when using gas on long trips, my consumption is above 30MPG- a non-hybrid van can't touch it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
True, when gas is cheap and electricity is expensive, charging may end up costing more. I pay $0.12/kwh, and driving gas is cheaper if it is under $1.40 or so- which happened only once. Even when using gas on long trips, my consumption is above 30MPG- a non-hybrid van can't touch it.
140 is cheap . We’re at 110 a litre in Ontario . 140 a gallln would equate to about 57 cents litre here with exchange and litres to gallons conversion .

·
Super Moderator
1,962 Posts
That $1.40 happened once, during the COVID panic when the oil price went negative. Canadian gas is expansive while the electricity is cheap, EVs and PHEVs pay for themselves faster.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts