2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's a weird one: can anyone with the aforementioned model verify that their's has "Self-Sealing" tires? I'm trying to check this, because you know, Chrysler said that this is what I got. It is mentioned on the window sticker, and in the Chrysler Buyer's Guide too (https://www.fcausfleet.com/content/...guide/2021_Chrysler_Pacifica_Buyers-guide.pdf) There tires for a '21 PacHy Limited S should be 235/60R18 BSW A/S Self-Sealing.

There is nothing apparent on the tires noting a self-sealing feature, not that this would be noted. The tires appear to be the normal Michelin Premier A/S. I'll take another look later today, but that's my impression. When I went to Michelin's website to try and research, I find this: Michelin Self Seal Technology | Michelin Of course my owner's literature has nothing in it from Michelin, but a ton of stuff on "cool" Sirius products. (Also some stuff about lemons and arbitration. Weird.)

It is also not possible to look up tires for the '21s on the Michelin's website. Tire Rack and Costco Tire also do not match the car with the correct original fitment, but maybe that's because I can't specify limited with S.

I just want to know what I have, especially since I don't have a spare. Not that I won't carry my snot in a can with me any longer. (or my aftermarket spare I carry on trips)

It's happened before that Chrysler has listed something as included or a feature, (see the discussions on the tri-climate control via UConnect discussion) and then not actually included this.

Ok bye.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's very confusing. The marketing says we have Michelin Premier A/S Self Sealing tires but Michelin only references Premier and Energy as having the technology. I did go to Discount Tire to get replacement certs (cheaper than the dealer tire protection package) but I don't see the same model tire listed on the Discount Tire site. It's quite possible it's just too early in the production cycle of these 2021s for the aftermarket supply chain to have stock.

I will say when the time comes I will probably replace with Michelin Defenders, they are almost as quiet and smooth as the Premiers but from my experience they should last a lot longer. When I trashed the terrible yokohamas that were on my 2018 PacHy all they had were Premiers available. I only got about 20K miles on them and they gave me a pro-rated warranty refund. I'm fairly fastidious about getting alignments and rotating, so it wasn't that... they simply don't last on this application. The Premiers may have slightly better performance and feel, but It's a van, not a sports car.

As for self-sealing tech.. I really don't know if I like this idea mainly because there is no easy way to make sure you're not driving around with a nail in your tire unless you constantly check. I can't imagine it's a safe even with being self sealing. Yes its a PITA to slime the tires and pump them back up (I have experienced this) but at least you know you've had a failure that needs to be properly patched.

As for a spare, I was lucky and found some craigslist 17" take-offs from a 2018 PacHy limited for $300 including nearly new yokos (someone really wanted 20" wheels on their Pac ;)). I got them because I had some fairly bad curb damage on one of the rims and this ended up being cheaper than repairing or replacing the rim. I have two houses so I keep two in one house and two in the other so at least I know if I have a problem I'll always get back on the road after a AAA tow. This has saved me 4 times so far.

I've found that the larger issue in this new world of no spare tires is that even if you can patch to the point of getting to a tires shop, it's always highly likely they won't have your model tires available if they can't patch and with no spare you don't have a drivable car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks friends. I found the SelfSeal marking now too.

So that this post is not a complete waste due to my poor initial inspection of the tire...what’s the deal with Michelin not updating their website for ‘21 Pacs? Sheesh.

Hey cool the tire was made in USA.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Limited S Appearance - Feb. 2021 build. California
85 Posts
Just checked and mine has the "self seal"imprint, too.

I was wondering about that. I'd seen it on the sticker, but didn't notice it on the tires.

Thanks for bringing this up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's very confusing. The marketing says we have Michelin Premier A/S Self Sealing tires but Michelin only references Premier and Energy as having the technology. I did go to Discount Tire to get replacement certs (cheaper than the dealer tire protection package) but I don't see the same model tire listed on the Discount Tire site. It's quite possible it's just too early in the production cycle of these 2021s for the aftermarket supply chain to have stock.

I will say when the time comes I will probably replace with Michelin Defenders, they are almost as quiet and smooth as the Premiers but from my experience they should last a lot longer. When I trashed the terrible yokohamas that were on my 2018 PacHy all they had were Premiers available. I only got about 20K miles on them and they gave me a pro-rated warranty refund. I'm fairly fastidious about getting alignments and rotating, so it wasn't that... they simply don't last on this application. The Premiers may have slightly better performance and feel, but It's a van, not a sports car.

As for self-sealing tech.. I really don't know if I like this idea mainly because there is no easy way to make sure you're not driving around with a nail in your tire unless you constantly check. I can't imagine it's a safe even with being self sealing. Yes its a PITA to slime the tires and pump them back up (I have experienced this) but at least you know you've had a failure that needs to be properly patched.

As for a spare, I was lucky and found some craigslist 17" take-offs from a 2018 PacHy limited for $300 including nearly new yokos (someone really wanted 20" wheels on their Pac ;)). I got them because I had some fairly bad curb damage on one of the rims and this ended up being cheaper than repairing or replacing the rim. I have two houses so I keep two in one house and two in the other so at least I know if I have a problem I'll always get back on the road after a AAA tow. This has saved me 4 times so far.

I've found that the larger issue in this new world of no spare tires is that even if you can patch to the point of getting to a tires shop, it's always highly likely they won't have your model tires available if they can't patch and with no spare you don't have a drivable car.
Hi Nexus,

Beg your pardon, but who is the “they” that gave you a pro rated refund on the Yokos?

Also, please forgive my ignorance, but what are “replacement certs”?

I like the Defenders too. I have them on my Prius installed/purchased from Costco. Between the 80K Michelin warranty & the Costco protection plan (free repairs on flats/ prorated replacement, etc) you can’t go wrong. The Michelin plan even has roadside service and towing included. I asked the Michelin rep today if we get that same service with our ‘21’s and she said yes, so thats

Oh, and this is totally a sports van, duh, that’s why it has the S.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Limited S Appearance - Feb. 2021 build. California
85 Posts
I have Defenders on my 2013 Volt and will likely get those for my pachy. They have been fantastic and lasted 5 years on the Volt so far. Quite a bit of tread left still.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I still hope I don't have a tire issue because so far
Hi Nexus,

Beg your pardon, but who is the “they” that gave you a pro rated refund on the Yokos?

Also, please forgive my ignorance, but what are “replacement certs”?

I like the Defenders too. I have them on my Prius installed/purchased from Costco. Between the 80K Michelin warranty & the Costco protection plan (free repairs on flats/ prorated replacement, etc) you can’t go wrong. The Michelin plan even has roadside service and towing included. I asked the Michelin rep today if we get that same service with our ‘21’s and she said yes, so thats

Oh, and this is totally a sports van, duh, that’s why it has the S.
Discount Tire... and they didn't give me a prorated refund on the Yokos, I wish ;). The prorated refund was for the replacement Michelin Premiers that I had to buy because I needed to get rolling and they didn't have Defenders. Discount Tire processed the refund through Michelin for me so I didn't have to do anything.. The tires were rated for something like 55K miles and I only got 21K so iirc I was refunded $500 or so for the premature wear.

Discount Tire also let me in on the "secret" that if you drive your new car over to them with less than 200 miles or so, they will sell you their "replacement certificates" which is simply a warranty that guarantees free replacement if a tire is damaged beyond repair and its not prorated at all. It was about $100 bucks to get this on all four tires but I've had to use this more than once in my life.. In fact I used it on the brand new defenders on my 2018 2 weeks after buying them.. got a huge bolt in one of them that was unrepairable and I got a replacement tire for free.

I used to buy tires from Costco, but because there seems to be a lot more Discount Tire shops than Costcos and they've never ever failed to match any price Costco has, I tend to buy exclusively from them now. You also get the same Michelin perks and they seem to always have the same rebates that Costco is offering. I love Costco, don't get me wrong, but when I am stuck with a flat there always seems to be a Discount Tire closer to me than a Costco ;).

And yeah, no doubt this van handles better than anything else close to its size (well maybe a BMW X5 is better) but I seem to not carve the road as much when I have my 3yo in the back ;) for many reasons.. in fact we just had a puking incident yesterday when my wife took the Tesla instead of the van.. little guy just isn't ready for performance driving yet hahaha.

Reactions: JamesB

·
Registered
70 Posts
oh cool, I had the Premier A/S on my old 2018 PacHy limited, and you are correct, they didnt last long (down to 2/32 limit @ 33K miles). I just picked up my new 2021 PacHy LimitedS ~2weeks ago and have these same Michelins as shown above in the posts, so I will have check later about the selfseal... that would be a nice addition

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discount Tire... and they didn't give me a prorated refund on the Yokos, I wish ;). The prorated refund was for the replacement Michelin Premiers that I had to buy because I needed to get rolling and they didn't have Defenders. Discount Tire processed the refund through Michelin for me so I didn't have to do anything.. The tires were rated for something like 55K miles and I only got 21K so iirc I was refunded $500 or so for the premature wear.
Mine wore out on my 2017 at about 30k miles as well. I had no idea you could get a refund on the premature wear. Good to know for the future!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I still hope I don't have a tire issue because so far

Discount Tire also let me in on the "secret" that if you drive your new car over to them with less than 200 miles or so, they will sell you their "replacement certificates" which is simply a warranty that guarantees free replacement if a tire is damaged beyond repair and its not prorated at all. It was about $100 bucks to get this on all four tires but I've had to use this more than once in my life.. In fact I used it on the brand new defenders on my 2018 2 weeks after buying them.. got a huge bolt in one of them that was unrepairable and I got a replacement tire for free.

I used to buy tires from Costco, but because there seems to be a lot more Discount Tire shops than Costcos and they've never ever failed to match any price Costco has, I tend to buy exclusively from them now. You also get the same Michelin perks and they seem to always have the same rebates that Costco is offering. I love Costco, don't get me wrong, but when I am stuck with a flat there always seems to be a Discount Tire closer to me than a Costco ;).

And yeah, no doubt this van handles better than anything else close to its size (well maybe a BMW X5 is better) but I seem to not carve the road as much when I have my 3yo in the back ;) for many reasons.. in fact we just had a puking incident yesterday when my wife took the Tesla instead of the van.. little guy just isn't ready for performance driving yet hahaha.
Discount Tire also let me in on the "secret" that if you drive your new car over to them with less than 200 miles or so, they will sell you their "replacement certificates" which is simply a warranty that guarantees free replacement if a tire is damaged beyond repair and its not prorated at all.
All right, you (and a few of our cohort with similar less than expected lifespans on their Premiers) sold me. I went down to the local Discount Tire and told them what I'd like to do, they said ok. It felt like I was ordering off the secret menu. Interestingly, they could not find the Premier A/S with SafeSeal as an available model. I also had an extensive back and forth with a rep at Michelin (online) this morning, where she could not find the tire either. A key piece of info on identifying the tire is apparently the MSPN, which is usually embossed on the tire. It isn't on mine, but she gave me the MSPN 34004 after some research back at the HQ. Or in whatever browser she was using. This number is aparently unique to this version of the tires that Chrysler is using. When I started to sense confusion on the face of the guy helping me, and his manager, I gave them that number. The boss guy then said, "Interesting, that's an old tire." He further implied that perhaps Michelin was reusing an older MSPN for a new tire, which apparently is against the rules. I think that they could have sold me a certificate on any tire that I wanted, because we talked for a second about Defenders, which I wouldn't mind as a replacement, I'm not married to SelfSeal or Premiers, by any means. Ultimately though I left with a certificate for the Premier A/S, which match the above MSPN code. If I need to use the certificate for whatever reason, I can explain then about my tires being the models with the SelfSeal.

Total cost was $144. It was $34/tire + tax.

Along the same lines, in order to take advantage of the Michelin Promise Plan (Their 60K mile warranty) make sure to fill out the registration for your tires here:

Reactions: panoguy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do these new tires mean there is no longer any slime and a pump supplied with the van?

Necro post but adding for information on Michelin's site.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Would appreciate feedback on the ride quality of these. I drew the short straw and got Nexens, which are overall **** tires, but at least they are quiet.
Want to replace but not affect comfort.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts