2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
It does have the chrome caps with the blinker. My guess/hope is that its just the wrong panel :). Let see. Thanks for all the help.

Regards
What was the conclusion of this?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Shoulda been cameras.

Loudoun,
I had to chuckle and reply to your post. I agree. Side mirrors should have been on their way out long ago.
I just became a PacHy Limited owner and they do not have folding mirrors either.
The side mirrors are a source of turbulence for noise, stick out too far and should have been replaced with gas purged cameras that do not stick out at all. If combined with small, ambient light adjusting monitors on either side of the driver, a much safer field of view would be possible. I was working on this for my Toyota Previas when one of them had a deer encounter last month prompting our PacHy purchase... first new car for us in 22 years:nerd:.
Seriously, I am a retired propulsion and robotics engineer (35yr) for NASA Johnson Space Center. Among many other things, I developed optics purging for cameras that we stuck up in rocket engines while flowing water thru the injectors and know a thing or two about keeping cameras' FOV clear. It would be a simple task to make a reliability 1 camera for side view mirrors, operable in any weather.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Loudoun,
I had to chuckle and reply to your post. I agree. Side mirrors should have been on their way out long ago.
I just became a PacHy Limited owner and they do not have folding mirrors either.
The side mirrors are a source of turbulence for noise, stick out too far and should have been replaced with gas purged cameras that do not stick out at all. If combined with small, ambient light adjusting monitors on either side of the driver, a much safer field of view would be possible. I was working on this for my Toyota Previas when one of them had a deer encounter last month prompting our PacHy purchase... first new car for us in 22 years:nerd:.
Seriously, I am a retired propulsion and robotics engineer (35yr) for NASA Johnson Space Center. Among many other things, I developed optics purging for cameras that we stuck up in rocket engines while flowing water thru the injectors and know a thing or two about keeping cameras' FOV clear. It would be a simple task to make a reliability 1 camera for side view mirrors, operable in any weather.
How much did your cameras cost?:wink2:
Cars are heavily regulated and the government doesn't move at the same pace as a technology. Side mirrors are mandated. Your colleague Elon demoed the Tesla truck without the mirrors, but had to install them for the highway testing.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts