2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 gas Pacifica encountered a loose piece of retread awhile ago while on the freeway which caused some front end damage. Off the top of my head what got replaced was front body part, grilles, shutters, radiator and alternator. All seems good, except the other day while pulling into a parking spot, I went a little too far in - but noticed the absence of a sound I had always been used to hearing. Normally when pulling into parking spots, a curb would often times come into contact with a set of metal prongs - not quite sure what to call them - that hang down, bolted to some part of the undercarriage, just under the front end. One is in roughly in front of each wheel. I'm not sure of their function, but always assumed it was something to keep you from possibly going over a curb or some obstruction and snagging the felt undercover. I'm guessing the autobody shop didn't reinstall as perhaps they got sheared off.

In the rebuild these prongs are no longer there. I've looked for them on parts websites to see what they are called, but can't seem to locate. If I see another Pacifica, I'll snap photos of what I'm talking about, as I'm sure my description is a bit vague. I'd like to go back to the shop that did my autobody work and have them added back, but if first got to verify what they are called.

Anyone know what part I'm talking about?

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 2017 gas Pacifica encountered a loose piece of retread awhile ago while on the freeway which caused some front end damage. Off the top of my head what got replaced was front body part, grilles, shutters, radiator and alternator. All seems good, except the other day while pulling into a parking spot, I went a little too far in - but noticed the absence of a sound I had always been used to hearing. Normally when pulling into parking spots, a curb would often times come into contact with a set of metal prongs - not quite sure what to call them - that hang down, bolted to some part of the undercarriage, just under the front end. One is in roughly in front of each wheel. I'm not sure of their function, but always assumed it was something to keep you from possibly going over a curb or some obstruction and snagging the felt undercover. I'm guessing the autobody shop didn't reinstall as perhaps they got sheared off.

In the rebuild these prongs are no longer there. I've looked for them on parts websites to see what they are called, but can't seem to locate. If I see another Pacifica, I'll snap photos of what I'm talking about, as I'm sure my description is a bit vague. I'd like to go back to the shop that did my autobody work and have them added back, but if first got to verify what they are called.

Anyone know what part I'm talking about?
I may be mistaken, but I think that you're talking about an air deflector. Basically, they help a bit on mileage, but, they're not all that important/critical to your driving experience. https://www.dallasnews.com/business/autos/2013/04/26/air-deflectors-help-mileage-some-but-arent-vital

·
Registered
341 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These definitely are not curb feelers. Perhaps it's a local installed option? I've scanned a few dozen used ones for sale online and located a partial view of what I'm talking about in the picture attached. They are shaped like the letter "U" and are on both sides of the front-end.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
These definitely are not curb feelers. Perhaps it's a local installed option? I've scanned a few dozen used ones for sale online and located a partial view of what I'm talking about in the picture attached. They are shaped like the letter "U" and are on both sides of the front-end.

I think those may be what the parts catalog calls "Front Wheel Spats". If so, part numbers are 68305245AA for left and 68305244AA for right. (And no, don't go by the diagrams that appear when you click on those links.. the diagrams appear to not show these parts at all.)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think those may be what the parts catalog calls "Front Wheel Spats". If so, part numbers are 68305245AA for left and 68305244AA for right. (And no, don't go by the diagrams that appear when you click on those links.. the diagrams appear to not show these parts at all.)
That's it! I think I did see it at least one of the diagrams. Thank you.

But another question I have is, what does it do? And why don't all Pacificas have it? My van seems run just fine without it, but I do plan on having it reinstalled simply because it was there from the factory. Just not sure what purpose it serves.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts

But another question I have is, what does it do? And why don't all Pacificas have it? My van seems run just fine without it, but I do plan on having it reinstalled simply because it was there from the factory. Just not sure what purpose it serves.
I checked my Sept. 2016 build Touring L and the spat (air deflector) isn't present, so I suspect (based on the name spat) it might be an early design feature that was added in hopes of improving fuel economy but was discontinued to save on production costs.
Any noticeable fuel economy difference without it? Have you noticed any noise difference?
Glad you found the part you were looking for.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked my Sept. 2016 build Touring L and the spat (air deflector) isn't present, so I suspect (based on the name spat) it might be an early design feature that was added in hopes of improving fuel economy but was discontinued to save on production costs.
Any noticeable fuel economy difference without it? Have you noticed any noise difference?
Yes, there's more wind noise (really a high-pitched whine). And functionally different when pulling into parking spaces with high curbs - this "spat" would physically stop you from pulling too far forward.

·
Registered
118 Posts

I noticed these air deflectors when we were shopping for our van because I didn't want a van that had them because I was afraid they would get caught on the parking block and cause damage.

I just now had a revelation that makes me believe they were only installed on vans that came with 17" wheels. I remember noticing that they were never installed on the higher Touring L-Plus or Limited trim levels. They were installed on some, but not all of the Touring L & Touring Plus vans, but were on virtually all the lower trim level vans that didn't have fog lights. In hindsight, this would make sense because 17" wheels aren't available with the higher trim levels, and would be installed on most of the other vans in the lower trim levels.

As to their purpose, I asked the salesman about this. He said that an FCA rep told him that they increase fuel economy a tiny bit and that FCA was required to install them on most of the vans they built in order to have them on the vehicle that the EPA used for fuel economy testing.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I noticed these air deflectors when we were shopping for our van because I didn't want a van that had them because I was afraid they would get caught on the parking block and cause damage.

I just now had a revelation that makes me believe they were only installed on vans that came with 17" wheels. I remember noticing that they were never installed on the higher Touring L-Plus or Limited trim levels. They were installed on some, but not all of the Touring L & Touring Plus vans, but were on virtually all the lower trim level vans that didn't have fog lights. In hindsight, this would make sense because 17" wheels aren't available with the higher trim levels, and would be installed on most of the other vans in the lower trim levels.

As to their purpose, I asked the salesman about this. He said that an FCA rep told him that they increase fuel economy a tiny bit and that FCA was required to install them on most of the vans they built in order to have them on the vehicle that the EPA used for fuel economy testing.
Well, I have 18" wheels that were part of a tire and wheel package with touring suspension and fog lights for what it's worth. Interesting about the fuel economy testing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
... I remember noticing that they were never installed on the higher Touring L-Plus or Limited trim levels. ...
Our Touring-L Plus has them.. but it does have the 17" wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts