2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

141 - 160 of 311 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just called the dealer near me today. They informed me right off if the van didn't pass they would have to keep it. They told me several people were upset that they couldn't get their van back, so they are telling people first now before they inspect them. They also didn't know what I would get as a loaner or when the real fix would be available. She asked me if I wanted to wait, so I decided to wait for now. After reading the thread it seems even if it passes it doesn't change anything. They still recommend to park it outside, which means I cannot charge it. And we charge ours all the time. We never have to buy gas now unless we go on a vacation.

As for garage smoke alarms, I looked when we got the hybrid and everything I read said that a smoke alarm wouldn't work in a garage due to dust,spider webs, etc. getting into and causing problems with the sensor. But, to instead get a rise over time heat sensor. However, I could never find one that didn't require it to be plugged into an existing system. Does anyone know of a rise over time heat sensor that just runs on batteries that I hang on the ceiling or wall in the garage?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Took ours Pachy in on the 22nd and it passed inspection but was also informed to keep it parked outside. The next day we traded it in for a gas Pacifica. Tired of the whole could catch fire issues.
You do know all cars can catch fire, right? Seems like a bit of overreacting to me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Gotta say, I love this country. Some people want a loaner even though their van passed inspection. Other people want their van even though it failed inspection. Others don’t care or just want to fuss. The only missing piece is that people haven’t asked for cash compensation yet.

I get the impression they are trying to get to an outcome where they aren’t legally responsible if someone’s van burns down an apartment building, but they also aren’t footing the bill for 30,000 rental cars. $1800 a month x 30,000 vans x 3-6 months = a lot of money.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yes all cars can catch fires. for example, 3 out of 250,000 honda odessys caught fire on their last recall. The Pacifica had 10 fires for 29,000. While yes all cars car catch fire the pacifia hybrid seems to have a greater chance of it. Couple that with this is the second recall for a fire risk I would say thats not over reacting at all, just trying to mitigate the chances of a fire in a garage, or driving a van with family in it.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
yes all cars can catch fires. for example, 3 out of 250,000 honda odessys caught fire on their last recall. The Pacifica had 10 fires for 29,000. While yes all cars car catch fire the pacifia hybrid seems to have a greater chance of it. Couple that with this is the second recall for a fire risk I would say thats not over reacting at all, just trying to mitigate the chances of a fire in a garage, or driving a van with family in it.
As you said. Another difference is that the Pachy fires are with well maintained vehicles, and have often been during charging at night. There is a pattern. It is not random.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You do know all cars can catch fire, right? Seems like a bit of overreacting to me.
Yep, I sure do know that. But not at the rate the Pachy does. Mine had 33k miles on it and I trade up every 2 to 3 years so it was time. This time around, the gas Pacifica fit my needs better plus I don’t need to worry about fire recall number three when it eventually comes around.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Excellent post fowardflip, well said(y)

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my recall notice last week, and my dealership (in San Luis Obispo California) is fitting me in Tuesday for the inspection. I got the impression on the first one locally that had reached out to them about it, since they had to look it up but were prepared to perform the inspection.

I have about 7,000 miles on my 2019, and I'll admit that I have had a lot of random issues come up. A couple times where the radio console went black/would not operate, some occasional issues with the rear power windows and door, etc. Since those are all controlled by the battery in question, I'm concerned that there could be a relation between coroded battery connections and occasional electrical issues in the van. Granted this is just pure speculation, but I've already been somewhat disappointed with the performance of a very new van

I'm hoping Chrysler steps up and makes this right (vs say waiting for a class action suit). I've got four children traveling in that van daily, and even if my van passes initial inspection it makes me extremely uncomfortable knowing this fire risk exists without a set fix.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am concerned if I should have the car towed to the dealership instead of drive it there.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
238 Posts
I am concerned if I should have the car towed to the dealership instead of drive it there.
You could. But you would probably have to pay for the tow yourself. If you have driven the car this long with no fire issue, one last drive to the dealer should not be an issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just finished reading this thread, thank you all for the info. I just got my notice, but had read about this a few weeks ago so it was on my radar. At that time I had a look at the battery terminals, everything looked fine, so wasn't worried about it. But sounds like it's a lot more involved and a lot more serious. I was surprised to learn there was no fix. Telling people they can't park in a garage and halting all vehicle sales is a big black eye for one of FCA's best vehicles and giving out loaners indefinitely is not cheap; they wouldn't be taking this approach if it wasn't a serious problem. Parking outside where I am sucks, it's 100+ degrees outside. I'll probably start parking it in the driveway at night, and bringing it in during the day when someone is around to notice a fire; at night my 7-year old is sleeping in the room adjoining the garage. What a pain... I work weekdays an hour from our home, and wife is home with the kids. I don't really want her dragging them to a dealership right now with covid spiking. Will probably try to drop it off one afternoon after work and leave it there. Not using it much at the moment, wife and kids are pretty much staying home with the covid going around. 2019 with just over 8200 miles on it (my Silverado I bought a month earlier has over 40k miles).

·
Registered
583 Posts
Just called the dealer near me today. They informed me right off if the van didn't pass they would have to keep it. They told me several people were upset that they couldn't get their van back, so they are telling people first now before they inspect them. They also didn't know what I would get as a loaner or when the real fix would be available. She asked me if I wanted to wait, so I decided to wait for now. After reading the thread it seems even if it passes it doesn't change anything. They still recommend to park it outside, which means I cannot charge it. And we charge ours all the time. We never have to buy gas now unless we go on a vacation.

As for garage smoke alarms, I looked when we got the hybrid and everything I read said that a smoke alarm wouldn't work in a garage due to dust,spider webs, etc. getting into and causing problems with the sensor. But, to instead get a rise over time heat sensor. However, I could never find one that didn't require it to be plugged into an existing system. Does anyone know of a rise over time heat sensor that just runs on batteries that I hang on the ceiling or wall in the garage?
What Chrysler should be telling people is that if the van fails inspection they would like to keep it. If I am the owner of a vehicle, a Chrysler dealer has no legal authority to keep my property without my permission whether it’s defective or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You were able to trade it in? I wondered if one was able to trade it in due to the open recall.
Took ours Pachy in on the 22nd and it passed inspection but was also informed to keep it parked outside. The next day we traded it in for a gas Pacifica. Tired of the whole could catch fire issues. With my wife working permanently from home now, the hybrid was no longer necessary. We use it primarily for carrying our dogs to trials. Not willing to even risk the possibility of a potential fire when she is hauling our dogs. Here is wishing a speedy fix for all those riding it out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You were able to trade it in? I wondered if one was able to trade it in due to the open recall.
I had no problem trading it in. Recall wasn’t even mentioned. However, I have heard some were not successful in trading theirs in. Could be the dealership doesn’t want to sit on it for 3 to 4 months before a fix is released.

·
Registered
793 Posts
If that the case why are the ones passing inspection being okay to drive . I believe if it passes the 2 pronged inspection then it’s good to go . Now if it fails that’s a different story , otherwise we’d all be parking our pacificas ....

141 - 160 of 311 Posts