2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2018 Pacifica Limited this past summer and immediately had issues. My husband and I have owned 2 Durangos and 3 Rams over the last 10 years and we have loved them all. We almost never had any issues out of any of them. We have 5 kids and I decided that maybe a minivan would be a good idea for us. Of course with our positive experiences with our Dodge vehicles, I didn’t think twice about purchasing the Pacifica which is definitely the nicest minivan on the market. Boy, am I regretting that decision! The van has had a list of issues that to this day still haven’t all gone away despite multiple service attempts. The doors randomly open and close. The back seats randomly fold up and down (while the car is in motion). The buttons to operate the doors don’t always work, the forward collision warning doesn’t seem to work, the Uconnect system is a disaster, sometimes it works, other times it’s a black screen and none of the buttons on the console work. Sometimes the screen gets stuck on the camera mode and we get to watch the road go by on the screen, which would be kind of entertaining, except nothing else on the console works at that point. These uconnect features are annoying when you want to change the temperature inside the car or the volume of the radio, or when your child wants a movie to play on the rear screens (which don’t work during the times when everything is frozen). The biggest problems I have though are the car STALLING and the transmission not always engaging in the right gear. Sometimes, when I put the car in drive, it moves backwards, and sometimes when I put the car in reverse, it goes forward. I’m nervous every time that I need to pull out of a parking spot...but not nearly as nervous as I get when I am slowing down to merge into traffic at a yield sign or just simply making a turn onto another road without coming to a complete stop. That’s when the car sometimes STALLS. Sometimes it sputters and catches itself and will keep going, and sometimes I have to pull over and put it in park and restart it. This is a problem that is going to cause an accident. The car has been at the dealership 3 different times to fix all of these issues. Every time it’s gone in, they’ve kept it for awhile, but it always comes back with problems. I was advised by my service advisor to call customer care. That got me absolutely nowhere...they said because the dealership can’t replicate the problem, they can’t attempt a repair, and therefore none of the times it has been in the shop count towards the number of times it has to go in for repair before they will actually do something to get me out of this van. What am I supposed to do, wait until someone crashes into us because my van stalled and someone is hurt? It’s not like I can just go trade it in, the negative equity in this thing would be insane. Besides that, this van shouldn’t be on the road. I don’t want to just trade it in so it becomes some other family’s problem. It’s dangerous. I’m at a loss on what I’m supposed to do. The sad thing is, we loved our Dodge vehicles, but this is making us never want to deal with the company again.

·
Registered
996 Posts
@Kwilson0622, you have a seriously defective system in that car. Chrysler Cares needs to get involved, and help the dealer get it resolved. In the mean time, Chrysler needs to get you a replacement similar vehicle until they can fix yours properly. Enough time and aggravation has gone by that Chrysler needs to know that you are considering invoking the lemon law in your jurisdiction.

My uneducated guess is that something (maybe one or two bad connections?) is causing your computer controls to get confused. This is hard to diagnose, and your dealer may not be up to the task.

Some of your problems are ones that have been reported here, but not all of them at the same time. Most of us have not experienced any of these issues. Please keep us informed as to how this gets resolved.

And Chrysler Cares, get involved. It is a lame excuse that "the dealer can't duplicate" the issue. Of course they can't. Random computer glitches are almost always impossible to duplicate. You need to dispatch the proper technician with authorization to get it done, no matter what it takes (even replacing the vehicle). You have a customer that purchased six of your products in the last ten years. Keeping them happy would seem to be a good business decision.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I bought my 2018 Pacifica Limited this past summer and immediately had issues. My husband and I have owned 2 Durangos and 3 Rams over the last 10 years and we have loved them all. We almost never had any issues out of any of them. We have 5 kids and I decided that maybe a minivan would be a good idea for us. Of course with our positive experiences with our Dodge vehicles, I didn’t think twice about purchasing the Pacifica which is definitely the nicest minivan on the market. Boy, am I regretting that decision! The van has had a list of issues that to this day still haven’t all gone away despite multiple service attempts. The doors randomly open and close. The back seats randomly fold up and down (while the car is in motion). The buttons to operate the doors don’t always work, the forward collision warning doesn’t seem to work, the Uconnect system is a disaster, sometimes it works, other times it’s a black screen and none of the buttons on the console work. Sometimes the screen gets stuck on the camera mode and we get to watch the road go by on the screen, which would be kind of entertaining, except nothing else on the console works at that point. These uconnect features are annoying when you want to change the temperature inside the car or the volume of the radio, or when your child wants a movie to play on the rear screens (which don’t work during the times when everything is frozen). The biggest problems I have though are the car STALLING and the transmission not always engaging in the right gear. Sometimes, when I put the car in drive, it moves backwards, and sometimes when I put the car in reverse, it goes forward. I’m nervous every time that I need to pull out of a parking spot...but not nearly as nervous as I get when I am slowing down to merge into traffic at a yield sign or just simply making a turn onto another road without coming to a complete stop. That’s when the car sometimes STALLS. Sometimes it sputters and catches itself and will keep going, and sometimes I have to pull over and put it in park and restart it. This is a problem that is going to cause an accident. The car has been at the dealership 3 different times to fix all of these issues. Every time it’s gone in, they’ve kept it for awhile, but it always comes back with problems. I was advised by my service advisor to call customer care. That got me absolutely nowhere...they said because the dealership can’t replicate the problem, they can’t attempt a repair, and therefore none of the times it has been in the shop count towards the number of times it has to go in for repair before they will actually do something to get me out of this van. What am I supposed to do, wait until someone crashes into us because my van stalled and someone is hurt? It’s not like I can just go trade it in, the negative equity in this thing would be insane. Besides that, this van shouldn’t be on the road. I don’t want to just trade it in so it becomes some other family’s problem. It’s dangerous. I’m at a loss on what I’m supposed to do. The sad thing is, we loved our Dodge vehicles, but this is making us never want to deal with the company again.
Welcome to the forum. You can private message @ChryslerCares by clicking on the red letters. In the private message you can put your VIN and information related to your problems. Is there another dealer nearby? You can also check the Chrysler/Mopar website or UConnect website to see if there are any software updates. I recommend printing anything you find related to solving your van's problems to make it easier for the service department since they can't seem to figure it out on their own. Even though the post below is under hybrids, I think the updates apply to all or most of 2018 Pacificas.

https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/433-2017-chrysler-pacifica-phev-hybrid-general-discussion/40611-nov-3-2018-radio-enhancements.html#post532461
https://www.mopar.com/en-us.html
https://www.driveuconnect.com/sirius-xm-guardian.html

·
Registered
996 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You can private message @ChryslerCares by clicking on the red letters. In the private message you can put your VIN and information related to your problems. Is there another dealer nearby? You can also check the Chrysler/Mopar website or UConnect website to see if there are any software updates. I recommend printing anything you find related to solving your van's problems to make it easier for the service department since they can't seem to figure it out on their own. Even though the post below is under hybrids, I think the updates apply to all or most of 2018 Pacificas.
Yes, to what you said. She purchased the car last summer and most of those updates should have been applied. I purchased mine last February, and there was only one update since.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. Happily, I have not had any of these problems. I can only recommend that you use your phone to try and record whatever is happening as it happens (not when driving by yourself, obviously) . At least that way you can show your dealer what is going on, since he can't seem to duplicate it. Hope this helps and Chrysler does what is needed to correct and or replace your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Yes, to what you said. She purchased the car last summer and most of those updates should have been applied. I purchased mine last February, and there was only one update since.
I agree that updates "should" have been applied, but some things on the list are still not working correctly. If the list is printed out and things that are still wrong are circled, it might give the service department a clue as to what might be going on. It may be a hardware issue, but with all the computer related stuff on the van, it makes sense to try software updates first. It seems like when I just complain about something wrong with the van I tend to get the response "That's how it is," or "It isn't doing that for us", but if I take paperwork from the forum with possible solutions I get better results and the service department is more like to try something (that typically works:smile2:). Hopefully, @ChryslerCares will assist @Kwilson0622 soon.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
+1 to above respondents.
I agree that at this point you should aim for a full refund or brand new replacement vehicle.
I have the similar 18 Limited bought in nov 2017 ( crossed 10K Miles) and have none of the problems you mentioned. You paid full price for the top loaded vehicle and you got crap value out of it. That’s too unfair for a loyal repeat customer.
Also write a detailed letter documenting all that has happened with your van and send by registered mail to Chrysler corporate. Check the lemon law requirements in your status well. Getting it resolved through Chrysler is the best solution.
From what I heard, once a lawyer is involved the dispute resolution process is forfeited and lemon law is your only recourse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Every time I take it in, they apply all of the available updates in hopes that it will solve the problems. I have been able to record the UConnect issues with my phone, but I have yet to catch the stalling or forward/reverse issues on video. It’s one of those things that when it happens, you don’t really have time to grab your phone, you are just reacting and trying to operate the car safely. I have a few people at my daughter’s dance academy that witnessed the crazy door thing with it opening and closing repeatedly, but again I didn’t think to record it. We just all stood there watching my van acting possessed. The service department thought maybe I was hitting the keys by accident, but the keys were dangling freely from my hand and the other set was at home. I sent the videos that I have of the uconnect issues to my service advisor last time that I went in so he would have something to go on. The second time I took it in, I printed out a list of every problem that we had with the van. It filled an entire page. They updated the system and sent me on my way after about a week. I’m taking it to another dealer tomorrow to see if they can figure anything out. I’ll go online and see if I can print some stuff out to take with me for them to refer to. I appreciate all of the advice and also the support. It’s nice to talk to people that sympathize with my problems and offer advice. Hopefully, I can get this thing straightened out before something bad happens. I’ll keep you guys posted!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Every time I take it in, they apply all of the available updates in hopes that it will solve the problems. I have been able to record the UConnect issues with my phone, but I have yet to catch the stalling or forward/reverse issues on video. It’s one of those things that when it happens, you don’t really have time to grab your phone, you are just reacting and trying to operate the car safely. I have a few people at my daughter’s dance academy that witnessed the crazy door thing with it opening and closing repeatedly, but again I didn’t think to record it. We just all stood there watching my van acting possessed. The service department thought maybe I was hitting the keys by accident, but the keys were dangling freely from my hand and the other set was at home. I sent the videos that I have of the uconnect issues to my service adviser last time that I went in so he would have something to go on. The second time I took it in, I printed out a list of every problem that we had with the van. It filled an entire page. They updated the system and sent me on my way after about a week. I’m taking it to another dealer tomorrow to see if they can figure anything out. I’ll go online and see if I can print some stuff out to take with me for them to refer to. I appreciate all of the advice and also the support. It’s nice to talk to people that sympathize with my problems and offer advice. Hopefully, I can get this thing straightened out before something bad happens. I’ll keep you guys posted!
Here is a thread if you haven't already found it. Interesting idea to check the batteries. There is a smaller ESS battery in addition to the regular battery on vans with ESS. As odd as it sounds, low batteries have caused some unusual problems before. I understand that the van is new, but there have been some problems related to batteries in vans less than one year old. If the service department is looking for something else to check that would be another option. Keep us posted.
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/267177-post1.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
Since you've been so loyal to Dodge/Chrysler over the last 10 years I wonder if your dealer could give you an amazing deal on a new one AND an amazing deal on the trade-in so you could get a new one at a minimal additional cost. Just a thought. Good luck.

·
Registered
808 Posts
(EDITED)

.....The back seats randomly fold up and down (while the car is in motion).

... Sometimes, when I put the car in drive, it moves backwards, and sometimes when I put the car in reverse, it goes forward.

...when I am slowing down to merge into traffic at a yield sign or just simply making a turn onto another road without coming to a complete stop. That’s when the car sometimes STALLS. Sometimes it sputters and catches itself and will keep going, and sometimes I have to pull over and put it in park and restart it.
I am not a big fan of running to the NHTSA site, but these three problems should probably go there.

I agree with the battery check, but don't know how that would cause #3, except that it sounds like the transmission is not downshifting soon enough, which could be low battery/computer error combination.

#2 mystifies me -- maybe some of our professional mechanic members can talk to that -- I would have thought that was mechanically impossible. I know the logic can on some cars delay entering reverse when moving forward or delay into park if moving above a set speed, but reversing the selected gear is weird (unless you are on a steep incline and you are actually just rolling and the engine speed is too low to counteract it -- but I don't think you would have posted it if that was so.)

Three suggestions:
1) When there is a serious malfunction, go to a chain like Auto Advantage and get an immediate free OBD download. Sometime codes age out of system memory quickly.

2) Get a dashcam with audio recording. When things act up, narrate them into the dashcam and save the sequence. (Just remember the audio will capture your interactions with your passengers.)

3) If the van moves in wrong direction, and you can do it safely, take a picture of the gear indicator on the display and the transmission control knob in the opposite position (if that is what is happening.) If they are both wrong, and you can do it safely, like in a quiet parking lot, take a picture from inside with the indication and the van moving in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Since you've been so loyal to Dodge/Chrysler over the last 10 years I wonder if your dealer could give you an amazing deal on a new one AND an amazing deal on the trade-in so you could get a new one at a minimal additional cost. Just a thought. Good luck.

The issue is, this IS a brand new car he bought recently. There is absolutely no reason he should be looking at taking the hit from trade in and another purchase. Unless the dealer simply agrees to swap his car to another new one. That would be an amazing deal in his case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
996 Posts
If I was in her situation, about the only "amazing deal" I would be interested in was a replacement. This should now be Chrysler's problem, not the dealer's and certainly not the customer's.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Here is a thread if you haven't already found it. Interesting idea to check the batteries. There is a smaller ESS battery in addition to the regular battery on vans with ESS. As odd as it sounds, low batteries have caused some unusual problems before. I understand that the van is new, but there have been some problems related to batteries in vans less than one year old. If the service department is looking for something else to check that would be another option. Keep us posted.
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/267177-post1.html
This is definitely something that needs to be checked. As @SciTchr pointed out, There have been numerous reports of weird, seemingly unrelated stuff happening because of defective batteries confusing the computers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Squeaky wheel. 3 dealer visits in a few months isn't nearly enough to make yourself a pain to them. Tell them to give you a loaner and keep it until they find the problem.

I have a hard time believing that none of this sets a code.

·
Registered
630 Posts
If it were me I'd get a couple $50 dashcams from Amazon and have them pointing at the dashboard and driver, then record the heck out of any incidents and post them on youtube. Publicize the videos here and with your dealer. Also get everything and anything in writing; all phone calls should have email followups, visits should get documentation, etc. If you don't get anywhere after video proof then notify your local tv station, they love this sort of consumer protection stuff. Good luck [thumbs up]

·
Registered
58 Posts
I read somewhere that a hybrid owner also had many random problems, that was eventually traced to corroded/bad grounding of the 12v system. Maybe worth a shot to see if this was the issue.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I don't think we're getting the whole story. Almost always when someone posts here describing a problem, @ChryslerCares jumps in and asks the poster to send in the VIN and other information and CC offers to contact the dealer on the customer's behalf. There has been no such response to the OP here. Why? Are they already in litigation, and CC is required to keep out?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I don't think we're getting the whole story. Almost always when someone posts here describing a problem, @ChryslerCares jumps in and asks the poster to send in the VIN and other information and CC offers to contact the dealer on the customer's behalf. There has been no such response to the OP here. Why? Are they already in litigation, and CC is required to keep out?
@ChryslerCares is probably busy and has taken a couple of days to give a response to a PM I've sent in the past. This thread was assisted by us on a weekend so hopefully @ChryslerCares will get to it soon. When we put @ChryslerCares in the thread it should give a notification of a "mention" to them so I hope they will see the thread and respond eventually. If the @ sign isn't included, it doesn't show up as a "mention" to them and it is doubtful that they even know we are hoping they intervene. So we are trying to draw attention @ChryslerCares to this thread to assist @Kwilson0622.:smile2:

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Every time I take it in, they apply all of the available updates in hopes that it will solve the problems. I have been able to record the UConnect issues with my phone, but I have yet to catch the stalling or forward/reverse issues on video. It’s one of those things that when it happens, you don’t really have time to grab your phone, you are just reacting and trying to operate the car safely. I have a few people at my daughter’s dance academy that witnessed the crazy door thing with it opening and closing repeatedly, but again I didn’t think to record it. We just all stood there watching my van acting possessed. The service department thought maybe I was hitting the keys by accident, but the keys were dangling freely from my hand and the other set was at home. I sent the videos that I have of the uconnect issues to my service advisor last time that I went in so he would have something to go on. The second time I took it in, I printed out a list of every problem that we had with the van. It filled an entire page. They updated the system and sent me on my way after about a week. I’m taking it to another dealer tomorrow to see if they can figure anything out. I’ll go online and see if I can print some stuff out to take with me for them to refer to. I appreciate all of the advice and also the support. It’s nice to talk to people that sympathize with my problems and offer advice. Hopefully, I can get this thing straightened out before something bad happens. I’ll keep you guys posted!
Hi Kwilson0622,
We're truly sorry that you have been having all of these troubles with your Pacifica. We will gladly assist you in having these concerns addressed. Please send us a private message so we can gather some additional information from you and see what we can do on our end.

@ChryslerCares is probably busy and has taken a couple of days to give a response to a PM I've sent in the past. This thread was assisted by us on a weekend so hopefully @ChryslerCares will get to it soon. When we put @ChryslerCares in the thread it should give a notification of a "mention" to them so I hope they will see the thread and respond eventually. If the @ sign isn't included, it doesn't show up as a "mention" to them and it is doubtful that they even know we are hoping they intervene. So we are trying to draw attention @ChryslerCares to this thread to assist @Kwilson0622.:smile2:
Thanks for getting our attention, SciTchr :smile2:

Lydia
Chrysler Social Care Specialist

1 - 20 of 24 Posts