2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new 2018 pacifica hybrid in December. It has had intermittent electrical issues having to do with video screen controls- often the controls in front don’t work or go black when we use the back video screens. Early August, I was driving on a state highway when van stalled and started flashing all indicators. I had it towed to the dealership, where they kept it for a week, rebooted the computer system and gave it back to me.
Ten days later, same thing happens. I’m in a parking garage trying to leave work when the car flips out, beeps incessantly, shows all the engine indicators, won’t move and scariest, won’t turn off. When I would try to turn off the car it would restart itself. I had the car towed back to the dealership.

Both times my engine code reader told me that there were communication problems with ECM/PCM.

This time the dealer has had it 3 weeks and can’t get it to replicate the issue.

I mentioned a few weeks ago to the tech that both times this happened, it was not charged. Had plenty of gas but electric charge was 0%. He said he would try to replicate with no charge and still cannot do it.

Well today, the service manager told me that he thinks the zero percent charge caused the issues and that plug-in hybrids should not be allowed to go to 0%. (He has not personally looked at the vehicle, this is based on my self-reporting of low/no charge.) He said that should be loud and clear in the manual and I should have been warned when I purchased it.

Not only has no one ever told me this, I can’t find it in the manual. Am I missing something? Isn’t the point of a plug-in hybrid that the gas engine backs you up if the electric charge runs out? Isn’t it an advertising point? Otherwise, why not just buy a full EV? The point is it has longer range.

Is he correct and did I miss something huge? Was I causing the problem by not charging? Both times it had been a few days between charges, I think, but the vehicle had plenty of gas.

Even if keeping it at 0% is bad, is it normal that it would flip out and stall out if you do that? How would I know when that would kick in? What if I am on (one of my frequent) 300-mile drives?

Regardless, it has already been more than 30 days in the shop, so I am looking into lemon laws. But I would like to know if the dealership is right to blame the low charge and if that’s a reasonable reason for a new car to put my life in danger.

Thank you for your knowledge.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The service manager is clearly a moron. The van goes to 0% before the engine kicks in and the driver has no control over it. All of us who drive more than 35 miles on battery would be having the same issues if this person is correct.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited is on zero charge most of the time when I take a road trip. I usually start with a fill charge, but it's down to zero in 34 miles or less. I can't imagine that would be causing the problem. I have had problems with the Uconnect system, though. Sometimes when I tried to access the Blu-Ray controls, the screen was just blank. There were a couple of times when the system locked up and wouldn't shut off, even after I turned off the van and left. I had to pull a fuse to shut it down. There was a software update that came along and I haven't had any problems since then.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Yeah it was on the lot the whole year, I’m sure. If the 12v battery was dead or dying, could that have caused these issues?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can't speak to the Pacifica exactly as I don't have one yet, but on other cars a dead 12V battery can cause all kinds of errors/warning lights on the dash.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thanks! Yeah it was on the lot the whole year, I’m sure. If the 12v battery was dead or dying, could that have caused these issues?
Absotively.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I just called to ask if they have checked the 12V battery and the service manager yelled at me that 1) they checked everything, 2) it was my fault for running the battery down, and he called Chrysler and they agreed with him.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Anybody who knows the van knows that even at 0% the batter still has energy . The service guy , and I use that term very loosely, is a dufus and clearly has no knowledge of the hybrid Pacifica. Clearly I’d stay away for that dealership . Hope the 12V battery resolves your issues and happy motoring.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I just called to ask if they have checked the 12V battery and the service manager yelled at me that 1) they checked everything, 2) it was my fault for running the battery down, and he called Chrysler and they agreed with him.
Grade A, 100% a dufus.

The battery is supposed to run down, that's how it works.

And he's lying about confirming with Chrysler, or else he did call and got someone who's equally a dufus.

You can drive for the next decade without charging the battery and it'll work just fine. Of course, you'd be a dufus but let's not go there. :p

·
Registered
168 Posts
Get your vehicle, find another dealer, and call Chrysler Corporate and file a complaint and have them do an investigation against the dealer. 800-247-9753

Where you have taken your Hybrid they are not qualified to work on it, and they are liars (he called Chrysler), what a piece of trash.

I ran mine 3 weeks with 0% battery until I had my 240 line run and L2 charger installed. That's why it is a Hybrid. You never have to plug it in if you want to run on gas only.

·
Registered
168 Posts
(n)

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Where is ChryslerCare? Do you see this?

What is the dealership? We should avoid that.
Yes,

@Vivia727

Please post a link to this dealers website. I travel all over the country and should I have problems I want to make sure I never go there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I drive roughly 150-170 miles a day for work (yes a LONG commute, 95% of it highways, but, it's in NJ/PA/DE so can't always say that I'm doing highway speeds). Needless to say, I go from 100% to 0% battery before I've gotten even half way to work, every day. That's exactly how the whole vehicle is supposed to work.

I would agree to contact @ChryslerCares but I would also strongly encourage you to call and speak to the owner of the dealership and let him know precisely how badly the service "manager" treated you. Obviously, if you get a survey, you should equally express your displeasure. That's unfortunately the only effective way to take care of the dealerships that do not deserve to retain their dealership. By complaining to the owner, you're giving him/her the chance to fix it. By complaining to @ChryslerCares you bring to their attention someone who should perhaps have their brand revoked, and by honestly answering the survey, you bring not only their rating down but also help to make it clear that they're bad, why they're bad, and what need to do to re-earn trust.

·
Registered
481 Posts
He is a liar. I would never visit that dealership again. You should call Chrysler yourself and talk to them.

I took mine on a 4,500 mile trip last summer. Never charged it once. Visited relatives in 6 states. Was at zero most of the time. No problems, because the van is designed to do exactly this.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Your service manager is an idiot.
1) The Pacifica is designed to use all of the available battery charge before it switches to the gas engine. I've had my 2017 for over 2 years now and taken numerous road trips... after the first 30-ish miles, it reads 0% unless I'm on a long downgrade and it manages to recharge enough to jump back to 1%. Most of the time it does recharge from braking, but it's only a little bit, and the car uses it whenever it can while it's in hybrid mode.
2) Other owners have checked and the high voltage battery in the Pacifica never actually goes to 0% regardless of the display. It's got software to keep it from going to the extremes of 0% and 100%, since completely depleting the battery would be bad. There are several threads discussing this.
Most of owners' weird electrical problems have been linked to a problem with the 12 volt battery. If there isn't another dealer convenient to you, send a message to @ChryslerCares and they can intervene with your dealer's service department.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts