2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I, like many, have been racking my brain on how to either tap into the HDMI connection that is in the back seat U-connect interface or figure out something else... So far we’ve broken 3 HDMI cables including low profile, a 90deg style (but still absurdly large), and a typical cable.

I’m not sure why Chrysler didn’t put an additional HDMI input either under a seat or in a cubby but realistically not many of us plug in our devices (be they phone, tablet or anything) at eye level on the back of a seat and expect them to survive a family ;).

So, I found these low-profile ribbon HDMI cables intended for gimbled cameras drones:

Flat Slim Thin HDMI FFC FPV HDMI Cable Standard HDMI Female Plug to Standard HDMI Male 90 Degree Compatible with RED blackmagic BMCC Sony FS7 Canon C300 Black 50CM

So, following BrettP’s guide here where he had to unfortunately replace his Uconnect theater screen I dissasmbleed the back of one of my seats and proceeded to thread this super thin HDMI ribbon cable through the tiny gap between the shiny plastic connector mount and the seat plastic back. It worked really really welll and after some careful routing and taping down of the cable, I threaded up an HDMI cable under the seat and behind the plastic so that it was securely connected to the HDMI “extension.”

So hopefully pictures will be worth more than words here, so you can now see my “clean” hdmi interface which will be much less likely to get broken off. I’m thinking about how to make it a bit more pretty with some black tape or something, but we’ll see how it goes.

First pic is the cable, and the rest show the installation from the front and back of the module as well as a shot of how the HDMI cable goes under the carpet and snakes up to the seat... the AppleTV is under the passenger-side second-row seat so it can easily get power routed from the AC inverter in the pillar behind the seat.

QUICK EDIT: I also wanted to add that the pictures were before I routed and secured everything to make sure to avoid the lumbar mechanism and prevent any rattles.. I used tape for the ribbon and tie wraps for the HDMI cable off of the existing cabling.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great timing! I actually last week had ordered the same cable and wanted to post.
I did not go down the whole disassembly to achieve better cable management but here are my result for those interested.

@nexus9 Interested to hear your experience with the ATV, what do you use for the data connection and wifi setup?

I use it only for my wife's iPhone, so she can connect with the HDMI adapter from the front seat.
The miracast works great for Android. And kids are still young so don't request independence or control, yet.

Thanks for sharing, now I have a higher standard to try and match for better cable management ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Both look great! You guys may want to consider molding a little black Sugru over the exposed connector. Give it some protection and a better look.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ut666

I've been shelling out the $20/mo for the built in AT&T LTE wifi service... it seems to be capped at about 10Mbits no matter where we go (while my T-Mobile service gets 20-30 and upwards of 70-90 in the city). The choice to do this really revolved around making it available at all times without any fuss for the "less technical" people in the family. It's nearly bulletproof as the LTE service is up way before the ATV finishes booting. The occasional glitch is usually on the UConnect screen messing up and the LTE locking up do to the software issues that they can't seem to figure out, but this is few and far between as we are close to 31K miles and will have had the van for a year this next month.

As for the experience.. the ATV is mostly for calming our 2yo on long trips. Our daughter (16) usually cues up the video for him using the apple remote. It is a bit of a problem if we don't have someone in the back (because we can't show video on the front screen while in motion) but we just pull over if we need to. We're all in on the Apple ecosystem so its nice to have that seamlessly translate to the car... as well it means there is no learning curve for anyone as every TV in our two houses is fronted by an appleTV. What's really nice is when you stack DirecTV Now with Channels pointing back to our HDHomeRun at the house so we can get both broadcast local stations and sat channels all over the streaming internet connection with DVR.. so it really ends up being seamless. Plex also works well to access our home movie and tv show library...

@apnar

Thats a great idea... the connector already has a clear rubbery coating over the important surface-mount bits but pretty it is not... I'll see if I can do something with some black sugaru to make it look more pro... possibly even fitting into the recessed niche. Are there any tips for forming sugaru against another plastic? Will it stick or do I need to put something down so it will release?

·
Registered
66 Posts
FANTASTIC! If I may ask a couple questions...

the AppleTV is under the passenger-side second-row seat.
:nerd:

Fantastic solution. I have been meaning to figure out how to do the Apple TV. If I could ask a couple of questions:
- Is the cable long enough (HDMI on) for the front seat to be pushed all the way to the front for the stow and go? If not how did you do it
- So the power to the Apple TV, if you pull the second row seat forward to allow people to board the 3rd row, how will they not trip on the cable? I assume we could also use a 90o. elbow for the power, so it is more flush with the power outlet
- how did you configured the Apple TV? Did you enable hot spot on your phone, and have it connect via wifi I assume?
- do you know if it is capable (and I can't see how it would be) to broadcast different content to the other screen? I have 2 kids, So I am assuming if they want to watch something different I would need to make this install twice? And having to deal with the power for the drive side. Maybe I can route it all to the main dash and pull power from the front
- I assume any Apple TV would work, I have 2, 3, and 4s... but I would probably go for the cheap 2 :)

Thank you so much for your time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the Crazy delay, @vtncus, life happened.. but here are some responses:

- Is the cable long enough (HDMI on) for the front seat to be pushed all the way to the front for the stow and go? If not how did you do it

I have a Pacifica Hybrid, which means no stow and go, and the middle seats are removable instead of storable.. I arranged the HDMI cable so that it has a bit of slack when it emerges from under the carpet so as far as I can test it moves pretty smoothly forward and back with the seat.

If I had a gas Pacifica, I’d probably find a place for the AppleTV inside of the seat (since the AppleTV 4, which is the “thick” one, uses Bluetooth for the remote and not IR). Also if I could find 12v somewhere in the seat, I’d be able to directly power the AppleTV with it (there are many guides which show how to bypass the build in 110v power supply and directly power it with 12-14V).

- So the power to the Apple TV, if you pull the second row seat forward to allow people to board the 3rd row, how will they not trip on the cable? I assume we could also use a 90o. elbow for the power, so it is more flush with the power outlet

Well, in our case a car seat for my son stops a lot of people from climbing in on that side... but as you said, I did use a Belkin power strip with a very cool flat/L-style power plug that also swivels different directions so it ends up going straight down and under the carpet. It’s really hard to catch with a foot this way and if it ever became a problem in the future I’m sure I could figure out some way to cover it.

- how did you configured the Apple TV? Did you enable hot spot on your phone, and have it connect via wifi I assume?

I use the built in AT&T wifi hotspot. It’s $20/mo for unlimited which is about what we’d pay to add a line to our T-Mobile account and we pull about 20-30 gigabytes a month on it with no problem.. It does seem to be throttled to about 10Mbits or so, but this is more than enough to stream HD video to the AppleTV. I’d considered using a hotspot on a phone, but this also would cost an extra fee to add T-Mobile’s “one-Plus” upgrade to allow unlimited tethering at full speed (vs 512Kb/sec). Ultimately, the extra fee is worth it for the convenience of never having to configure anything or reconnect anything to the wifi, or deal with less technical savvy family members etc.. It just works everytime and works very smoothly. We’ll also be ready to add a second AppleTV to the other side if we get to that point and I’ve even considered putting in an HDMI switcher from Monoprice so we can also have an xbox one or PS 4.

- do you know if it is capable (and I can't see how it would be) to broadcast different content to the other screen? I have 2 kids, So I am assuming if they want to watch something different I would need to make this install twice? And having to deal with the power for the drive side. Maybe I can route it all to the main dash and pull power from the front

My solution to this would be to run power or HDMI to the other side... the inputs are in terrible places and that is the real limiting factor... as I said above, location of the appleTV doesn’t matter due to the Bluetooth remotes. I think the real solution here would be to mod the AppleTVs to 12V, find 12V in the seat back somewhere to tap, and install the whole shebang inside of the ample area in the seat back. If this is something you want to explore, these guys can mod one for you for $54 or they can sell you an already modded AppleTV 4K (which is overkill as the screens are only 720P) for about $220 or so. If you are handy, you can DIY it pretty easily like this
but make sure you put a fuse in.

Maybe someone else can chime in if they’ve found 12V switched power in the seat..

- I assume any Apple TV would work, I have 2, 3, and 4s... but I would probably go for the cheap 2 :)

Well, if you only want Netflix and Apple content (or airplay) the older models are fine... We use ours with apps like DirecTV now so we get “cable” channels streaming in the car (Think MLB ;) ), we also use it with Plex so we can access our home library over the internet connection and Channels so we can watch the broadcast channels streamed from our house etc etc. There are simply much more options with a AppleTV 4 and above...

The biggest benefit, however, is the Bluetooth remote so you can conceal the AppleTV... previous models without the Siri remote use IR so you’d either have to mount the AppleTV 3 or below in a somewhat visible location or rig up an IR repeater. If it’s an issue, scour Craigslist and I’m sure you can find a good deal on a used AppleTV 4 since many are upgrading to the AppleTV 4K or check out the refurbished section on Apple’s website for some good deals.

Reactions: vtncus

·
Registered
66 Posts
life happened here too :) Thank you very very very much for your insights!
I think we would use Apple content only, iTunes movies and Airplay, so we could control it with our phone!
Thanks again

·
Registered
10 Posts
These ideas are fantastic! Thank you for sharing them. How do you keep power to the devices when shutting off the car? Is there a way to go from engine running directly to accessory mode? I'm thinking about adding a Roku to our car and my kids would be pretty frustrated if the car turned off brought down the Roku with it. Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Amazon fire installation, 3" of hdmi and 3" of usb visible only. Fire tv hide under console.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I, like many, have been racking my brain on how to either tap into the HDMI connection that is in the back seat U-connect interface or figure out something else... So far we’ve broken 3 HDMI cables including low profile, a 90deg style (but still absurdly large), and a typical cable.

I’m not sure why Chrysler didn’t put an additional HDMI input either under a seat or in a cubby but realistically not many of us plug in our devices (be they phone, tablet or anything) at eye level on the back of a seat and expect them to survive a family ;).

So, I found these low-profile ribbon HDMI cables intended for gimbled cameras drones:

Flat Slim Thin HDMI FFC FPV HDMI Cable Standard HDMI Female Plug to Standard HDMI Male 90 Degree Compatible with RED blackmagic BMCC Sony FS7 Canon C300 Black 50CM

So, following BrettP’s guide here where he had to unfortunately replace his Uconnect theater screen I dissasmbleed the back of one of my seats and proceeded to thread this super thin HDMI ribbon cable through the tiny gap between the shiny plastic connector mount and the seat plastic back. It worked really really welll and after some careful routing and taping down of the cable, I threaded up an HDMI cable under the seat and behind the plastic so that it was securely connected to the HDMI “extension.”

So hopefully pictures will be worth more than words here, so you can now see my “clean” hdmi interface which will be much less likely to get broken off. I’m thinking about how to make it a bit more pretty with some black tape or something, but we’ll see how it goes.

First pic is the cable, and the rest show the installation from the front and back of the module as well as a shot of how the HDMI cable goes under the carpet and snakes up to the seat... the AppleTV is under the passenger-side second-row seat so it can easily get power routed from the AC inverter in the pillar behind the seat.

QUICK EDIT: I also wanted to add that the pictures were before I routed and secured everything to make sure to avoid the lumbar mechanism and prevent any rattles.. I used tape for the ribbon and tie wraps for the HDMI cable off of the existing cabling.
Thanks for the write-up! It looks like the HDMI ribbon cable is only 50cm long? I guess you have to use another male-to-male HDMI cable in conjunction with this ribbon to make the connection to the Apple TV?

·
Registered
2018 TL+ Built April 2018, Dark Cardovan Pearl w/S package, hands free
79 Posts
I have come to this thread a lot looking at what to do. For me taking apart the seat is more of a plan B, so I bought these connectors on Amazon;

I used a dremel to cut the underside of the HDMI connector so it's flush with the USB adapter. It looks and feels sturdy. I'll also admit my kids are older, youngest is 10, the others are 14 and 15. This might not work if they were younger. (And who knows, it might not work in the long run but cost me ~$15 to try out).
20200719_111011.jpg
20200719_111047.jpg
20200719_111040.jpg
20200719_111052.jpg

Edit: not trying to take away from this thread at all as I think it's awesome. Just throwing out a different idea!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looks good! I assume I works right now though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 TL+ Built April 2018, Dark Cardovan Pearl w/S package, hands free
79 Posts
Looks good! I assume I works right now though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me or someone else? My way has worked fine so far. We haven't taken a long road trip yet, so I'm sure I'll have better insight after.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts